I need comparison pics : Para3 LW, Delica and Native 5 LW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Xformer

I need comparison pics : Para3 LW, Delica and Native 5 LW

Post by Xformer »

Would be cool if someone could make one for me, especially from above so I can see the difference in terms of thickness. It's for a future purchase and unfortunately there's no way to handle knives before buying in my country... I tried to search on google, but no luck so far.

Para3 LW and Native 5 LW only.

Thanks !
Pokey

Re: I need comparison pics : Para3 LW, Delica and Native 5 LW

Post by Pokey »

See if these help. They appear to be nearly identical in thickness.

They’re about .44 inches, or 11.1 mm thick.
Attachments
1F9098D7-FD35-43CB-8BA6-5A32E0253814.jpeg
6F42A4ED-7F74-4348-B415-7FFCF479D834.jpeg
F6764E18-69EB-49EA-9BF8-D9C5301B45A1.jpeg
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The Native 5 is the thickest of the three, while the Delica 4 is the slimmest.
para3 delica4 native5 01.jpg
Native 5 also has the shortest handle.
para3 delica4 native5 02.jpg
Lastly, photo in open position.
para3 delica4 native5 03.jpg
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Thanks for the pics. It seems nothing will beat the Delica form factor...

The native 5 is kind of blocky. I can understand on the Para 3 since the compression lock needs a certain thickness, but I don't see any reasons for the Native to be this thick. It's a backlock as thick as the PM2. I also don't get why it doesn't come with a wire-clip...

It's a shame because overall it's one of the most beautiful Spyderco in the line-up. That blade shape is mesmerizing.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:00 am

The native 5 is kind of blocky. I can understand on the Para 3 since the compression lock needs a certain thickness, but I don't see any reasons for the Native to be this thick. It's a backlock as thick as the PM2. I also don't get why it doesn't come with a wire-clip...
Given your username I am almost certain you'll know this anyway: But the Chaparral FRN is even thinner than the Delica (really noticeable), does have a wireclip, practically the same length of cutting edge as the Native (just 1mm less) and for me better ergos (Chap sits more stable in hand during real use).
The Chap also does have - though not a flat spine like the Native - a lot less "hump" and thumb ramp than both Delica and Para 3..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

You need all 3....end of story
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:02 am
Chapp wrote:

Given your username I am almost certain you'll know this anyway: But the Chaparral FRN is even thinner than the Delica (really noticeable), does have a wireclip, practically the same length of cutting edge as the Native (just 1mm less) and for me better ergos (Chap sits more stable in hand during real use).
The Chap also does have - though not a flat spine like the Native - a lot less "hump" and thumb ramp than both Delica and Para 3..
Yeah the Chapp was my knife for years, but utlimately I couldn't get past its look and I had to let it go.

Overall you're right. What I'd give for a "premium" Delica with the Chapp FRN fit and finish... I would eat my hat if that doesn't become one of the most sold knife ever made. That's one of the stuff I'd beg for.
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:09 am
You need all 3....end of story
=D

That period is behind me unfortunately. I got rid of 95% of my collection some months ago. I'm not much a materialist and I wasn't confortable with the collectionnist aspect. Stuff that owns you yada yada. Bought a nice guitar, a second gen miata and only keep daily users for now.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Chapp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Chapp wrote:
Yeah the Chapp was my knife for years, but utlimately I couldn't get past its look and I had to let it go.

Overall you're right. What I'd give for a "premium" Delica with the Chapp FRN fit and finish... I would eat my hat if that doesn't become one of the most sold knife ever made. That's one of the stuff I'd beg for.
Cowboyfromhell wrote:
What do you prefer in then Delicas looks over the Chaps?

/ And: One, though not the easiest solution: Try to find one of the old G10 Natives that featured liners and give it thinner custom scales instead of the G10... (perhaps there are even custom scales for the linerless Native, but if I don´t think they could offer the same quality as a Native from the factory)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:42 am
Chapp wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:32 am
Wartstein wrote:
Chapp wrote:

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
What do you prefer in then Delicas looks over the Chaps?
Don't get me started XD

In short, the Delica's lines are slenderish. It's thin, but it's just long enough. The Chapp is more "fat" and shorter.The blade shape of the Chapp isn't my type too, it's way too round and I prefer slender blades. That's why I've resold my Para 3 LW, the resize from the PM2 made its blade feel bulkier... which made little sens on a knife of this size, while the PM2 blade is slender.

I don't like fat knives (Shaman, Chapparal, Benchmade Griptilian...).

I really wish the Delica had the best of the Chapp fit and finish + the Para 3 LW features... but it might be by design. Maybe it's better to sell a bunch of different knives rather than having one that rule them all ?
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

You can never have one knife rule them all because there are too many knife buyers with different jobs and opinions.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

lilshaver wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:32 am
You can never have one knife rule them all because there are too many knife buyers with different jobs and opinions.
It depends. Don't know about Spyderco, but a lot of manufacturers sales are about two or three knives in their line up.

I wouldn't be shocked if the PM2 and the Delica were Spyderco best seller by a far margin.