Problems with k390 Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cutter5334

Re: Problems with k390 Spyderco knives

Post by Cutter5334 »

JakeXman wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:32 pm
Are you talking about blade grind or edge grind? Because both were great on my sample size of one, a ladybug.
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm talking about the edge grind/edge bevel.
Wash

Post by Wash »

My stretch had a slightly asymmetric secondary bevel, but it’s easily fixed with a few minutes on the ol’ stone of sharpness.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Cutter5334 wrote:
JakeXman wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:32 pm
Are you talking about blade grind or edge grind? Because both were great on my sample size of one, a ladybug.
Sorry I wasn't more specific. I'm talking about the edge grind/edge bevel.
I thought you were talking about the blade grind. (Symmetry of the taper, etc)

A bad edge grind is way less of a big deal, you can arguably fix it yourself with enough sharpening.

I have gotten one spyderco with a terrible edge grind. It was a US made one in maxamet. I guess it just happens some times.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've had a lot of knives from the Seki City maker. I can only remember one that had a noticeably uneven edge bevel. It cut great. So not something I'd get "bitterly disappointed" about. Easy enough to fix when the time comes to reprofile
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My Stretch is very good. No issues at all.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

My Dragonfly was good from the factory (before I had reprofiled it).
Police 4 LW has a minor blade grind issue - too much steel has been removed atop of the spyderhole. If I bought it offline, I'd probably ask for another knife without such flaws. But since I got it from a large online retailer, warranty claim will require too much time and shipping costs, so I just don't care about that "visual" issue and use the knife.
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

Hey,

I recently posted about the k390 police. The knife is strate, but all of the distal taper is on one side. I don't know if the knife sagged during the heat treatment or was ground at 330pm on a Friday before knock-off. Lol
All of my other Golden spyderco knifes are perfect.
I also noted in the post that the Japanese value asymmetry. If I look at the knife from cutting with my right hand, and the Japanese beliefs then it's perfect.
It's mine now and only have this monster for big jobs, so it's not going back.

I hope this helps.

Do you have any photos.

Thanks,
Dusty
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

My Para 3 K390 is about as perfect of an edge grind as you can get. Not a Seki model though. Ordered a Stretch 2 K390 this week which is in route.
BangBang77

Post by BangBang77 »

Headed to Pennsylvania for work and stopped at Shepherd Hills Factory Outlet in Lebanon, MO and they had some Endela models in K390. Couldn't resist. The edge grinds are perfect.
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

Dusty Cliff wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:00 pm
Hey,

I recently posted about the k390 police. The knife is strate, but all of the distal taper is on one side. I don't know if the knife sagged during the heat treatment or was ground at 330pm on a Friday before knock-off. Lol
I also noted in the post that the Japanese value asymmetry. If I look at the knife from cutting with my right hand, and the Japanese beliefs then it's perfect.

I hope this helps.

Do you have any photos.

Thanks,
Dusty
How is it "straight", if all of the distal taper is on one side? Also, saying that the Japanese value asymetry is irrelevent if the design specs are for a symetrical blade. Stop trying to make excuses for unacceptable craftmanship. It costed me over $180 each for my Police 4's, and for that price, any design flaws or craftsmanship errors are completely unacceptable. I don't know about you, but I work very hard for my money, and I don't enjoy getting ripped off becuase some lazy knife maker is skimping on quality and slacking off, and I find it offensive that you just dismiss these huge major flaws as " Japanese value asymmetry, that is a B.S. excuse for garbage quality control over manufactureing.

Looks like spyderco is falling into the trap of raising prices and lowering quality... I bet they all gave themselves fat raises this year also,.. all while the quality is going to ****.

Step up your game spyderco. Stop selling us sub-par garbage and stop ripping us off.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Oooooo.... sour grapes. I have 10 delicas in different steels and two of them have uneven edge grinds. This is nothing to get upset about and is easy to correct. These are done by humans i'm sure, and most humans lack calibration. Also I do not think this is specific to K390 but can happen to any steel run.
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

double-post
Last edited by kerrcobra on Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Jeremy
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:50 am
How is it "straight", if all of the distal taper is on one side? Also, saying that the Japanese value asymetry is irrelevent if the design specs are for a symetrical blade. Stop trying to make excuses for unacceptable craftmanship. It costed me over $180 each for my Police 4's, and for that price, any design flaws or craftsmanship errors are completely unacceptable. I don't know about you, but I work very hard for my money, and I don't enjoy getting ripped off becuase some lazy knife maker is skimping on quality and slacking off, and I find it offensive that you just dismiss these huge major flaws as " Japanese value asymmetry, that is a B.S. excuse for garbage quality control over manufactureing.

Looks like spyderco is falling into the trap of raising prices and lowering quality... I bet they all gave themselves fat raises this year also,.. all while the quality is going to ****.

Step up your game spyderco. Stop selling us sub-par garbage and stop ripping us off.
Aww man. I think you forgot to sign into your troll account, because just earlier in this thread you posted under this account and didn't really have much of a complaint. See here:
KnifusMaximus wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:17 pm
My Police 4's both have even blades and came with a very nice edges, but the spines were very rough and unfinished. I had to sand them down with sand paper on a flat surface for a while to make them acceptable.

My Endela has a bit of a rough spine also, but not nearly as bad as the police 4's... The Endels blade is evenly ground, but the handle scale on the right hand side moves and shifts up and down about 1/32 inch,.. its kinda annoying.

Both knives are great,.. just not perfect,.. the Police 4 rough spines is my biggest complaint.
--Jeremy
Dusty Cliff

Post by Dusty Cliff »

KnifusMaximus wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:50 am
Dusty Cliff wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:00 pm
Hey,

I hope this helps.

Do you have any photos.

Thanks,
Dusty

Hahaha. I'm not sure why you feel the need to talk to me in that fashion?
Bagging our spyderco on their forum is not helpful. Go to warranty if you feel that concerned. My police lightweight was $220, but being rude will not make it cheaper.
I have attached some images. Looking down the blade when held against a straight edge it sits flush on one side, and kicks out when held the other way.

Anyhow take care,

Dusty Cliff
Attachments
20210913_202856.jpg
20210913_202952.jpg
20210913_173146.jpg
Last edited by Dusty Cliff on Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leksy

Post by Leksy »

Leksy wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 am
My Dragonfly was good from the factory (before I had reprofiled it).
Police 4 LW has a minor blade grind issue - too much steel has been removed atop of the spyderhole. If I bought it offline, I'd probably ask for another knife without such flaws. But since I got it from a large online retailer, warranty claim will require too much time and shipping costs, so I just don't care about that "visual" issue and use the knife.
This is what I'm talking about:
So, there is a flat part, and a slightly negative angled "bevel" area. Can't say it bother me, but it definitely is "not perfect".
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

What I hate most about Spyderco's K390 knives is that I don't own any.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

My endura came a bit wavy but that type of thing doesn’t really bother me to be honest. When I get a new knife in, a major part of the experience for me is bringing it to the stones, putting my own profile/edge on it, examining its ergonomics, etc. If you’re strictly an “end user”, I can see where this would be a little vexing…but it’s barely a factor for me, personally.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
Senfkarte

Post by Senfkarte »

My first K390 Endela came with very different bevels. I actually had to laugh, when seeing it for the first time. My first Seki Spyderco had uneven bevels too, so I was extra excited to see the bevels.
The one side was 0.6 mm high and the other 1.2 mm. So one double the other. I know, it would have been fixable, and I said in the past, I would fix uneven bevels, but I have to admit, this was too much for my taste. Send the Endela back to the shop and got another one, without any problems. The next one was better.

For me, with my very limited experience, it seems more like a Seki and not K390 Problem.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:30 pm
What I hate most about Spyderco's K390 knives is that I don't own any.
Me too! Hoping the Dragonfly wharnie K390 is coming soon.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I think the Seki city factory can definitely up their game. Products don't exist in a vacuum. Other makers are offering nicer fit and finish at the same price. They can and have done better.