Swick Anticipation Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which Swick are you planning to get?

Plain Edge
26%
Serrated Edge
39%
BOTH!
35%

Total votes: 31

vivi

Swick Anticipation Thread

Post by vivi »

Who else is excited for this release?

Based on the latest updates Sal has been kind enough to share with us, there's a chance the LC200N Swicks could be releasing this month.

I've owned a couple of Swicks in the past, all wharncliffes.

The Swick is a really neat design.

It is incredibly compact yet offers my XL/XXL hands a full grip. The thumb ramp is very comfortable for me and that's usually where I find ergonomic issues in smaller knives. I consider it an ergonomic masterpiece.

The hole offers unprecedented grip retention and gives the user excellent control over the knife.

I've had a rust proof Swick in mind for a really long time. About 11 years to be specific:

Since the 2000's I've been asking for an H1 or LC200N Swick. I felt a rust proof steel would be ideal for a compact neck knife.

Another reason I'm so enthusiastic about this release is the inclusion of scales and a sheath. Previously I had to make my own sheath or commission one, and scales were even tougher to find. I was lucky with the last Swick I bought, the one pictured above, in that it came with scales.

But my old one....I never had scales for it. That was the main reason I ended up selling it.

I see the Swick replacing my Street Beat as my most frequently carried fixed blade.

The rust proof construction will be wonderful for 365 days a year worry free carry.

The combination of LC200N and a wharncliffe blade will make this one of Spydercos easiest to sharpen knives.

The amount of effort going into the sheath tells me Spyderco will be nailing this one.

Shipping with a g-clip and lanyard will give the user a wide variety of carry options right out of the box.

So who else is planning on getting a Swick? Think you'll go with PE, SE or both?

I know I'm getting a minimum of two in each blade type. I want a lifetime supply of this model. I've been wanting this for so long. When it was revealed I couldn't believe Spyderco was going to make one of my dream knives!

Please keep in mind there is no confirmed release date yet, and any discussion surrounding release dates is pure speculation at this point.
:unicorn
skeeg11

Re: Swick Anticipation Thread

Post by skeeg11 »

Gonna try out the SE model first. Is that your finger in the picture? If it is, then maybe the small would be better for me.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Ordered one of each the day they were announced. :bug-red :bug-white-red
-Turbo
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i was really excited about this one when it was announced. as time went on and on and on, i kind of forgot about it, especially with the promise of a thinner and longer enuff. now, i'm not sure i even have a place for a swick anymore. that may change when i start seeing them pop up around here though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'll start out with SE, most likely 2 of them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I already have 4 Swicks, two leaf blades and two wharncliffes. I like them but don’t edc them myself. I keep one on my work bench as a utility knife and I use my other one as a fishing knife.

I don’t really need another but I will likely purchase a serrated one.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Reject

Post by Reject »

How much can a Koala bear?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Reject wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:02 am

Sssoooooooooo you like them or....?

:rofl
~David
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one, eventually. Just not immediately after they have finally dropped. It's good to have a small low profile FB like that. I won't be wearing it around my neck though. That's just too special for Germany.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have two other models already. I bought scales from them from Halpern but found that the design had changed more often than I remembered. So two sets of scales that are useless to me. :cussing

I'll be in for one serrated Swick this time around. At least this version will be complete out of the box!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:33 am
I already have 4 Swicks, two leaf blades and two wharncliffes. I like them but don’t edc them myself. I keep one on my work bench as a utility knife and I use my other one as a fishing knife.

I don’t really need another but I will likely purchase a serrated one.

https://i.imgur.com/1ySGlM4.jpg
This is pretty much the sole reason I want the new Swick, to use it while ice fishing! You had recommended it for ice fishing in the past and I was almost immediately sold on trying one. Still undecided on which edge type I would prefer though.
-Nick :bug-red
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

vivi wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:46 pm

Who else is excited for this release?

Based on the latest updates Sal has been kind enough to share with us, there's a chance the LC200N Swicks could be releasing this month.

I've owned a couple of Swicks in the past, all wharncliffes.

The Swick is a really neat design.

It is incredibly compact yet offers my XL/XXL hands a full grip. The thumb ramp is very comfortable for me and that's usually where I find ergonomic issues in smaller knives. I consider it an ergonomic masterpiece.

The hole offers unprecedented grip retention and gives the user excellent control over the knife.

I've had a rust proof Swick in mind for a really long time. About 11 years to be specific:

Since the 2000's I've been asking for an H1 or LC200N Swick. I felt a rust proof steel would be ideal for a compact neck knife.

Another reason I'm so enthusiastic about this release is the inclusion of scales and a sheath. Previously I had to make my own sheath or commission one, and scales were even tougher to find. I was lucky with the last Swick I bought, the one pictured above, in that it came with scales.

But my old one....I never had scales for it. That was the main reason I ended up selling it.

I see the Swick replacing my Street Beat as my most frequently carried fixed blade.

The rust proof construction will be wonderful for 365 days a year worry free carry.

The combination of LC200N and a wharncliffe blade will make this one of Spydercos easiest to sharpen knives.

The amount of effort going into the sheath tells me Spyderco will be nailing this one.

Shipping with a g-clip and lanyard will give the user a wide variety of carry options right out of the box.

So who else is planning on getting a Swick? Think you'll go with PE, SE or both?

I know I'm getting a minimum of two in each blade type. I want a lifetime supply of this model. I've been wanting this for so long. When it was revealed I couldn't believe Spyderco was going to make one of my dream knives!

Please keep in mind there is no confirmed release date yet, and any discussion surrounding release dates is pure speculation at this point.
Can you steer a guy to the maker of those sculpted scales?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Definitely. I'm ordering two, eventually.

I'll be getting one each, small and large. Both SE.

I have a weakness for Perrin's handle designs.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Having tried a couple of Fred Perrin's designs I have to give this a hard pass. The ergonomics simply do not work for me.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Anyone know what the MAP price will be?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 am

Looks like $126.00

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-swi ... y-serrated
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:59 am
The Meat man wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:43 am

Looks like $126.00

https://www.dlttrading.com/spyderco-swi ... y-serrated
Cool, thanks.

Looks like it would be a great diving / watersports knife. I'll probably get one in SE.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I would never have considered this knife if I was left to my own insight / preconceptions, but I've come to view it in a different light through the insight (peer pressure) of other forum members.
And unfortunately it's no longer hard to imagine how this knife can be quite useful.
As if that wasn't bad enough, I also think the upcoming subway bowie will be right up my alley..

It's actually unfair to frame this as a bad thing, and obviously me being sarcastic. Being spoiled for choice is always better than not, it just makes deciding and prioritizing so much harder.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I’m at the edge of my seat with anticipation for this one!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Reject

Post by Reject »

:thinking How would you feel about a Swick with a blade shape based on the Spot?

How much can a Koala bear?