Mid-sized Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Mid-sized Native?

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:18 pm
A crude transform tool job in Gimp.
Looking at the pic I almost can't help feeling like the standard Native size is actually missing and "only" its larger/smaller iterations do exist...

My two alltime favorite folders are Stretch 1 (disco'ed) and Endura. While I like the long cutting edge of the Endura (and Chief) I prefer the more compact carry of the Stretch 1 (and would on a "mid sized Native").
If the proposed model managed to have a cutting edge closer to the Stretch 1 (81mm) than let's say a Manix (73mm), but still be a compact carry... perfect!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

And how should it be named?
Perhaps plain and simple "NATIVE TRIBESMAN"? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:22 am
And how should it be named?
Perhaps plain and simple "NATIVE TRIBESMAN"? ;)

Cool! I also have one.

Elder

"Not all older or elderly people are considered elders. An elder is a person that has accumulated a great deal of wisdom and knowledge throughout his or her lifetime, especially in the tradition and customs of the group."

I like the Elder because an Elder fits between a Native and the Chief in the tribal hierarchy, just like a mid-sized Native.. It's a teacher.

I was also thinking about Totem, but that, with its spiritual connotations relates more to some future Shaman iteration.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

As far as a name, the obvious choice that comes to my mind is “Brave”.
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:06 am
Netherend wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:45 am
Basically a back lock manix 2
Not really for me - main differences (which, yes, can of course be everything from neglectable to defining, depending on whom you ask... ;) ):
- Native and Chief have a totally "flat", humpless spine / no ramp whatsoever
- Partly because of the above Native and Chief have a slimmer carry profile for their overall length
- The "concept of the ergos" is very different imho:
The Manix very much locks your hand in one (two with the choil) very clearly defined position (which can be a good or bad thing) and has that "hook" at the handle end (good for pull cuts, but restricting the available grip area)
The Native/Chief on the contrary do everything to offer as much grip area length as possible on the actual handle (pretty much flat/horizontal handle end, less defined finger positions for the fingers)

Now are these "enough real differences" to a backlock manix 2 to make a similarly sized "Mid sized Native" a thing?!
For me: Yes. But I also totally get the points of forum friend Mushroom, that at some point one has to think about limits concerning making every platform in multiple sizes. For me though in the "Native familiy" a real, distinctive Native in the very popular and useful PM2 / Endela / Manix range is missing.
I really love the shape at the top of the Native 5 blade where it thickens to a straight flat top. It looks great and it makes the blade slimmer to carry. I’d love to see a manix size version of that exact blade shape
Just one more knife...
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I like the name Native Elder, but I suspect it would just be called Native 5 3.5. :/

BTW, if it is not clear, I am fully behind this happening. Despite my signature line... :face monocle
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Chief
Shaman
Brave
Native

Does that work? Is it PC? I don’t actually know.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:44 pm
Chief
Shaman
Brave
Native

Probably not. Remember all these sports franchises have or will change their names: Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Washington Redskins, Kansas City Chiefs. Very easy to unintentionally disparage people these days.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Chief
Shaman
Brave
Native

To be honest, none of the names in that line are especially PC - the ship has kindof sailed, as I doubt they’re going to rename them, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable that they used those names unless they have some Native American heritage I’m not aware of.

Still love my Shaman, Native and lil native, and love Spyderco and the Glessers. But I don’t think they’re super culturally sensitive.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

kobold wrote:
I like that, could use one in 20CV.

As for the name, I like Brave, but if that offends the sensibilities I submit: 'Middle-aged Honkey".... No-one will write a huffy letter to the editor over that characterization guaranteed.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

Gtscotty wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:30 pm
kobold wrote:

As for the name, I like Brave, but if that offends the sensibilities I submit: 'Middle-aged Honkey".... No-one will write a huffy letter to the editor over that characterization guaranteed.
Gimme 20 years and I’ll be deeply offended by that :winking-tongue

I should admit, I kindof like “brave” and it helps that it’s also an everyday adjective.
bearfacedkiller

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
kobold wrote:

I should admit, I kindof like “brave” and it helps that it’s also an everyday adjective.
I’m an Irish American kid from Boston. We aren’t easily offended so I guess that is why I don’t always get it. I mean, look at the Celtics mascot and look at what a ridiculous event St. Paddy's day is every year. We just roll with it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:09 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:57 pm
Gtscotty wrote:
kobold wrote:

I’m an Irish American kid from Boston. We aren’t easily offended so I guess that is why I don’t always get it. I mean, look at the Celtics mascot and look at what a ridiculous event St. Paddy's day is every year. We just roll with it.
St Paddy’s is a mess for sure. Although I’ve always felt like comparisons between the Irish and other cultures that have been oppressed is a stretch due to the huge difference in degree.

Irish immigrants dealt with plenty of prejudice when they got here, but that’s not quite the same as native Americans being pushed further and further off their own land by a people who were committing genocide against them. It feels like a long time ago and I’m not saying any of us are responsible for what our ancestors did (not a fan of the ‘sins of the father’ concept), but the economic and cultural effects of that genocide are still very real to this day and are felt bigtime in Native American communities which still struggle with some of the highest levels of poverty and illness.

Anyway better stop myself before I get in trouble for being political again (Kristi, if you’re reading, I promise I didn’t start the topic :D ). I’ll just conclude with this thought: the concept of cultural appropriation isn’t a thing because people can’t take a lighthearted joke; it’s because of the context in which that appropriation occurs. It’s easy for me not to be offended by a knife called “honkey” because I’ve never experienced oppression specifically for being white, but in many other cases it’s an insult being added to grievous and unresolved injury.

And now, to pivot to an even more contentious hill I’m willing to die on: this knife should have a comp lock. Come at me, nerds!
bearfacedkiller

I wasn’t trying to make any comparisons. Just stating that I/we have thick skin. I’m a little tone deaf when it comes to being PC. I’m trying.

Sorry for the tangent. I was just trying to suggest a good name.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:46 pm
I wasn’t trying to make any comparisons. Just stating that I/we have thick skin. Sorry for the tangent. I was just trying to suggest a good name.
Lol sorry if I sounded bothered! I’m not at all, I’m just a thinker and a talker and have absolutely no beef with the man who got me into k390 😁

Well, other than the fact that I still don’t know what this collab of yours looks like 😤😂
Catamount123

Post by Catamount123 »

It’s hard to understand why anyone would be offended about being called brave?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
vivi

Post by vivi »

aaronkb wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:40 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Chief
Shaman
Brave
Native

To be honest, none of the names in that line are especially PC - the ship has kindof sailed, as I doubt they’re going to rename them, but it definitely makes me uncomfortable that they used those names unless they have some Native American heritage I’m not aware of.

Still love my Shaman, Native and lil native, and love Spyderco and the Glessers. But I don’t think they’re super culturally sensitive.
I'm part NA and those names don't offend me in the slightest. There's a big difference between calling something Chief, and the Chief Wahoo logo, in my eyes.
kobold wrote:
I kind of scoffed at the idea of a midsized native at first, but this mock-up has me reconsidering. The Shaman handles a lot differently than the Chief & Native, so even though size-wize it fills this gap, the overall design isn't quite the same DNA.
:unicorn
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I almost wish I hadn't seen the mock up, just super desirable to me. And a version in comp lock and back lock would be great sellers. My preference would be linerless G10 to start but FRN.... good sized blade with minimal weight. Different steels and exclusives... really you've got products for the next 5 years off of the same platform.
anycal

Post by anycal »

DigDug72 wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:22 am
A challenge to DigDug72 to make this happen ;)

I am in for this to become a thing. I would give up both my Manixes for one of these :zany

The Native is basically a smaller version of the Chief; Chief bigger version of the Native. Same stock, pivot, choils, angles, cutouts and stop pin placements, even the PB washers. No redesign really.

Peter
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

vivi wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:07 pm
aaronkb wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:40 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Chief
Shaman
Brave
Native

I'm part NA and those names don't offend me in the slightest. There's a big difference between calling something Chief, and the Chief Wahoo logo, in my eyes.
Good to hear!