Noob questions (3)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
OolongRasta

Noob questions (3)

Post by OolongRasta »

Hello everyone! Noob here, never really been into knifes before, but just purchased my 4th spyderco in the last 90 days! :winking-tongue I think you all can relate!?

My questions are these: 1. what knife lubes are suggested? 2. my most recent purchase is an m4 steel, so what suggested oil would you use if you were living on the west coast near the ocean?
3. I’ve noticed box tape adhesives LOVE S45 and BD1N and seem impervious to rubbing alcohol? Suggestions to clean?

Much much appreciated fam!
kobold

Re: Noob questions (3)

Post by kobold »

Hi OolongRasta and welcome to the forums!

1. Almost anything really. WD40 will gum up in time, so not that. I use sewing machine oil, bike oil or coconut oil when I want to be very food safe, because these are what I have at hand. Or just cut some bacon with the knife.

3. I don't have this problem, but try acetone maybe.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

1. I like Nano Oil. One tube will last several lifetimes, and the needle applicator is perfect for precision. Also, I really like CRK fluorinated grease, available from CRK directly I believe.

2. I use mineral oil, or Frog Lube for blade protection/rust prevention. Both are food safe.

3. I have found that WD-40 cleans off the most stubborn tape residue. Spray the blade down good, let soak for a minute or so, and wipe off.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Welcome to the forum!

1. I like Knife Pivot Lube (KPL). You can find it at online retailers (I buy it from DLT).

2. If you aren't cutting food, I recommend Tuf-Glide. Get the cloth applicator, rather than the bottle, and just wipe the blade down every now and then. If you are cutting food, then mineral oil is my first choice, but mostly because I have a bottle of it in the kitchen for our countertops (soapstone). The only non-stainless kitchen knives I have, I just tend to let patina.

3. I'll second WD-40. Works great for me.
Last edited by TomAiello on Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Welcome to the forum! I use g96 gun treatment to remove the toughest of tape residue. Its a lube also so can spray the pivot too. Not food friendly though
attila

Post by attila »

3. Most oils will soften/dissolve packing tape. Even skin oil works well.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
vivi

Post by vivi »

OolongRasta wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:08 pm
1. what knife lubes are suggested?
Mineral oil. Cheap, can be purchased at any grocery store or drug store, and it is food safe.
2. my most recent purchase is an m4 steel, so what suggested oil would you use if you were living on the west coast near the ocean?
I've heard good things about sentry solutions tuf glide. Personally I just carry a rust proof knife, since that's much less hassle than fighting rust.
3. I’ve noticed box tape adhesives LOVE S45 and BD1N and seem impervious to rubbing alcohol? Suggestions to clean?
If you can just use the very tip to cut tape on boxes it makes this a non-issue. Otherwise a mineral oil soaked rag wipes it off quite easily in my experience.
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Mineral oil on a microfiber cloth, it cleans, lubes, and protects. I suspect it is the basis of many “wonder lubes” you see pop up every year.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Oh, I forgot to say it, welcome aboard!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

OolongRasta wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:08 pm

My questions are these: 1. what knife lubes are suggested? 2. my most recent purchase is an m4 steel, so what suggested oil would you use if you were living on the west coast near the ocean?
Welcome, brother. West Coast? Senegal? Sierra Leone?

Really, any lube that you'd use on your guns, fishing reels, sewing machines, will be fine. I generally use Ballistol. I can't argue that it's better than any of the other myriad of products available, but just minutes ago I used it to remove sticker goo from the sheath of a hori-hori that was just delivered.

P.S.
I really like M4.

P.P.S.
My hori-hori is Japanese, but not Spyderco. :pleading
OolongRasta

Post by OolongRasta »

Thank you to you all! Much appreciated all the great feedback and suggestions!
Holland

Post by Holland »

I use oil from my hairline to get tape residue off. Works awesome.

I no longer use oils for my pivots. I found vaseline works the best for me.

Could use your M4 knife in the kitchen for a while until it develops a nice patina. Should help with unwanted rust
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

attila wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:20 pm
3. Most oils will soften/dissolve packing tape. Even skin oil works well.
Yup. Adhesives are usually medium-weight polymers, and as they say "like dissolves like" so oils tend to work well. I just use regular ol kitchen vegetable oil for tape adhesive.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Holland wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 am
my hairline
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome Oolongrasta! :smiling-cheeks

- Knife lubes: Many good choices, I personally use Victorinox multitool oil. Works perfectly for me.

- M4 steel: I don't protect my tool steel blades at all. You could also consider letting them develope "personality and uniqueness" by patina and even some rust spots...? I do like such used looks, but know and respect that many don't.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

So, when mineral oils are suggested, it's obviously implied that one means food grade mineral oil, but since we're giving advice to a self declared noob, it's probably a good idea to point that out. Just in case..
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear oolongrasta:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
zemogKA

Post by zemogKA »

Gunny Glide is a new pivot lube that uses graphene and has some really impressive results. REC (rivers edge cutlery) and Omaha knives have had it in stock recently.

I’ve used nano oil, kpl and militec in the past and this gunny glide blew them out of the water.

For adhesive removal I use goo gone. It works quick.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Holland wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:12 am

I no longer use oils for my pivots. I found vaseline works the best for me.
I second that. Plus, the paraffin combined with mineral oil in it protects the metal very, very well, and is food safe. It is good all around stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
OolongRasta

Post by OolongRasta »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:39 pm
Hi OolongRasta and welcome to the forums!

1. Almost anything really. WD40 will gum up in time, so not that. I use sewing machine oil, bike oil or coconut oil when I want to be very food safe, because these are what I have at hand. Or just cut some bacon with the knife.

3. I don't have this problem, but try acetone maybe.
Thank you! Haha bacon, I’ll keep that in mind!!