Mid-sized Native?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Mid-sized Native?

Post by RamZar »

I agree that there needs to be a Native back lock with a 3.49” blade length. The blade length on the Shaman is too long and too thick plus the contouring on the G-10 makes it too expensive.

Ideally, blade lengths are just under various limits based on jurisdiction.

Lil’ Native: 2.49”
Native5: 2.99”
Mid Native: 3.49”
Native Chief: 3.99”
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

EDIT
unlike a mid-sized native or slimmed-down shaman, this comment was redundant so never mind 😁
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Basically a back lock manix 2
Just one more knife...
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

aaronkb wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:17 am
EDIT
unlike a mid-sized native or slimmed-down shaman, this comment was redundant so never mind 😁
EDIT

Much like a mid-sized Native... My response was unnecessary. :discguised
-Nick :bug-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Netherend wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:45 am
Not really for me - main differences (which, yes, can of course be everything from neglectable to defining, depending on whom you ask... ;) ):
- Native and Chief have a totally "flat", humpless spine / no ramp whatsoever
- Partly because of the above Native and Chief have a slimmer carry profile for their overall length
- The "concept of the ergos" is very different imho:
The Manix very much locks your hand in one (two with the choil) very clearly defined position (which can be a good or bad thing) and has that "hook" at the handle end (good for pull cuts, but restricting the available grip area)
The Native/Chief on the contrary do everything to offer as much grip area length as possible on the actual handle (pretty much flat/horizontal handle end, less defined finger positions for the fingers)

Now are these "enough real differences" to a backlock manix 2 to make a similarly sized "Mid sized Native" a thing?!
For me: Yes. But I also totally get the points of forum friend Mushroom, that at some point one has to think about limits concerning making every platform in multiple sizes. For me though in the "Native familiy" a real, distinctive Native in the very popular and useful PM2 / Endela / Manix range is missing.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Netherend wrote:
That was my thought. I'd rather see the back lock Manix make a come back than a new mid sized native model.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

While I generally approve of any addition to the greater Native family, I cannot see how this would be profitable for Spyderco unless they dropped one of the current models to make room for it. Adding all these intermediate sizes just serves to dilute the sales of existing models. At some point, sales will get low enough to force the elimination of a model. Yes, I know the Endela exists, but who know how long it will be before its gone or the Delica is gone?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:43 am
While I generally approve of any addition to the greater Native family, I cannot see how this would be profitable for Spyderco unless they dropped one of the current models to make room for it. Adding all these intermediate sizes just serves to dilute the sales of existing models. At some point, sales will get low enough to force the elimination of a model. Yes, I know the Endela exists, but who know how long it will be before its gone or the Delica is gone?

I think if at all the Endela will rather hurt the Endura-, and not the Delica-sales.

Don´t know if you have all three, but the Endela in my book is like 90 % Endura and 10 % Delica.
Even I (Endura-fan) could sometimes confund my Endela with an Endura at first glance, when I don´t see both models side by side. The handle length is pretty close (the blade length differs more), and also tallness, blade stock and so on are the same, while the Delica is really smaller/slimmer in each dimension
And: The Endura exceeds some blade length limits, where the Endela does not, so the latter is the maximum some folks who want a larger knife can carry legally

So I think a "mid sized Native" would perhaps reduce the sales of the Chief, not so much of the Native 5.

/ That being said: Para 3 / PM2 / Millie or DFly / Delica / Endela / Endura seems to work out pretty well? (Sure, only Spyderco knows the real sale numbers and how they fluctuate)

I think it is a bit like:
Small knife: Delica / Para 3 / Native
Big knife, but not too big or legal limits: Endela / PM2 / "Mid sized Native"
Big knife: Endura / Millie / Chief

These three categories will always sell (says my totally uneducated guess... :grin-big eyes )
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Well, I'm not opposed to the proposed Mid-Native, as long as it does not hurt sales of the Native or Native Chief.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:05 am
Well, I'm not opposed to the proposed Mid-Native, as long as it does not hurt sales of the Native or Native Chief.
As said: I could perhaps see it hurting the sales of the Chief a bit. But: I know nothing really. ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 am
Netherend wrote:
That was my thought. I'd rather see the back lock Manix make a come back than a new mid sized native model.
This.

I like my Native5s and find my much-loved mid-lock Manix and Manix2 not merely scaled up versions but shaped ergonomically as if to adjust for their larger size and intended workload.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kobold

Post by kobold »

A crude transform tool job in Gimp.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

kobold wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:18 pm
That, in REX45, i could not resist. CruWear and LC would be great too.

I have asked in the past, on multiple occasions, for this model. A 3.5 inch native backlock in proportion with the others.

As much as i like my Shaman models, i'd also like a more svelte backlock model in that 3.5 inch length.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

kobold wrote:
Based on this image, I would bet that it well sell very well. Good job!

I agree that it might steal some sales from the Chief which would sadden me.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Yes! This!!!
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

As others have said it seems like the natural thing to do given other model size ranges. I would be in for one.
bjz

Post by bjz »

kobold wrote:
See, I would love to have a chief-sized blade but that handle is way too long for my medium sized hands (the stretch/manix are just a bit more than I’d like to carry). This, in an lw option, would be the sweet spot for someone with less than bear paws. Every workday morning I reach for my Harrier 2 because that blade really nails it for me, but end up going for the N5 instead because the handle just feels right (and it comes in full SE).

Maybe it would hurt sales…I personally would pick up one in PE and one in SE and prob not need another knife for years.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kobold wrote:

Nice!! :smlling-eyes

I am not necessarely a fan of large choils and would probably even prefer your "mid sized" option with an edge all the way to the handle.
On the other hand it remedies what I don´t like on the current Native 5 (main reason why I sold mine): On the Native 5 the choil (handle part of it) makes the grip area behind the choil to short for me so that I am almost forced to choke up for a good grip. PLUS it eats up cutting edge. In this case it would be much better for me to get rid of the choil, lengthen the grip area on the handle, AND gain more edge.
Now your up scaled mock up solves this :Still (for me) a small knife, but enough space on the actual handle, so now I have TWO real good four finger grip options.. and it looks cool (the thing I love the most about the Native: Just looks great! :smlling-eyes )
kobold

Post by kobold »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:45 pm

Nice!! :smlling-eyes

I am not necessarely a fan of large choils and would probably even prefer your "mid sized" option with an edge all the way to the handle.
On the other hand it remedies what I don´t like on the current Native 5 (main reason why I sold mine): On the Native 5 the choil (handle part of it) makes the grip area behind the choil to short for me so that I am almost forced to choke up for a good grip. PLUS it eats up cutting edge. In this case it would be much better for me to get rid of the choil, lengthen the grip area on the handle, AND gain more edge.
Now your up scaled mock up solves this :Still (for me) a small knife, but enough space on the actual handle, so now I have TWO real good four finger grip options.. and it looks cool (the thing I love the most about the Native: Just looks great! :smlling-eyes )

Yeah they look so smooth. :smiling-heart-eyes

I can, barely, manage a four finger grip without choking up on the N5. But a mid sized Native would make this grip even more comfortable than what it is on the PM2, because there is no grip hook. And the edge length would/could be a nice goldilock even when choking up.

If you don't want a choil maybe the Siren is for you?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like the idea. Would want to keep the swedge which I think’s something the Native Chief is sorely missing.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool: