Top Steels and Scales for another Kapara sprint?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PyriteParachute

Top Steels and Scales for another Kapara sprint?

Post by PyriteParachute »

Like for so many of you, the Kapara is one of my most carried knives (second to the Ouroboros!) But I also have too much carbon fiber and too many similar steels. For all of their expense and rarity, swapping in a sprint run model can cut down redundancy in a collection :)

Given the choice, what would you like to see in a Kapara sprint? Here are mine.

Steels
1: high wear, like s90v or k390
2: MagnaCut
3: LC200N

Scales
1: Raffir Noble

Bonus points if they can find some Gold g-10 for the backspacer.

2: Micarta

3: Silver twill

JRinFL

Re: Top Steels and Scales for another Kapara sprint?

Post by JRinFL »

I would not mind seeing AEB-L or Cruwear for blade steel and scales would be natural material (desert ironwood, jigged bone, ?) and there would be a bolster.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Steel wise, any of the SS options you mentioned would be fine with me, in addition, 20CV, S35VN/SPY27, S45VN or S110V would fit my tastes. As for scales, my one and only mild complaint about the Kapara is that it's a bit slick in stock form, something with a little more grip like those beautiful micarta scales you showed would be excellent.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Honestly: FRN.
Steel not that important to me, sticking with S30V would be fine, but I would take BD1N, LC200N, XHP...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

A BHQ version (both plain and coated) works for me!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Since there hasn't been a Kapara sprint I'll assume you're referring to the dealer exclusive?

I'm not really interested in another exclusive or even a sprint run. I really like the original one I have. I guess if I was going to change something it would be to use soft Micarta or TeroTuf scales. Steel isn't a big deal to me.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Personally in my opinion, it should stick to stainless steels since the intended design of the Kapara by Alistair Phillips was for it to become a pocket-friendly food prep knife.

The DLT Exclusive 20CV Kapara is probably the penultimate design, except maybe for the rather plain gray G10 scales, which many of us could agree is rather inferior, aesthetics-wise, to the original CF scales.

I guess the only way for the Kapara to improve while not straying from its intended design purpose, is to use a more corrosion-resistant steel with a good blend of relative toughness, so for me it would be a combination of Vanax Superclean steel and Micarta scales.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
juggler

Post by juggler »

Oddly enough, I like the original version so much that I'm not really looking forward to any kind of sprint run or exclusive of the Kapara (if that makes any sense).

Sure, a Micarta handle could be nice (Micarta is always a nice option to have) but truth be told these CF scales are hard to beat. And there's nothing wrong with S30V in my book (I wouldn't mind trying SPY27 just to see what it's all about, but the Kapara is expensive enough as it is...)
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

Any different steel works but to get me it would need textured scales. Either FRN or G10
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'm fine with the base steel, but would really like to see grippier scales, as others have mentioned. I have the smooth G10 DLT exclusive, and the scales are not my favorite thing because of the knife's slim handle.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Agreed about the scales, I would love something a little gripper (it's my only complaint about the Kapara, love my DLT Exclusive). Green micarta would be fantastic, but I would also like some peel-ply G10, maybe blue?

For steel I prefer stainless and love the M390 family.

Oh, and an FRN Lightweight Kapara would be AMAZING. Especially if it was mostly linerless like the Para 3 LW. Day 1 purchase if it comes out.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

I remember DLT Jordan saying something about Micarta scales being in the works. I would be interested in trying them out to see if they improve the grip.

The smooth scales are the only reason I don’t carry my Kapara at work more often.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:49 pm
Any different steel works but to get me it would need textured scales. Either FRN or G10
This!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:27 pm
I remember DLT Jordan saying something about Micarta scales being in the works. I would be interested in trying them out to see if they improve the grip.

The smooth scales are the only reason I don’t carry my Kapara at work more often.

Yep indeed.

DLTJordan wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:06 am
Wright.88 wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:30 pm
DLTJordan wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:57 am
The scales are smooth, but the ergos of the handle keep it locked pretty well in your hand. I have no concerns about slipping up onto the blade or around the handle in general on these, CF or G10. Personally, I prefer the G-10, but I think these will be popular for blade swaps, look for some aftermarket scales for these in the next few months as well, we have a guy working on them.
Oh, that's exciting news! Any chance that those aftermarket scales will be available in micarta (preferably green)? :)

There will absolutely be micarta.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

My current top choice would be k390 but that doesn’t sit well with being geared toward food prep (I’ll personally never understand using a folder for that when there are fixed blades available but that’s a different thread).

Magnacut would probably be a great fit when it’s available. Vanax would be awesome but idk if Spyderco is ever gonna use it.

I love the original handles, I wouldn’t mind them experimenting with different types of carbon fiber. I’m a sucker for micarta too.
rhaug

Post by rhaug »

Some great suggestions here already.

For steel, anything low maintenance would be great, LC200N or Vanax Superclean.

And for scales, something that makes it overall more table or side board friendly, and less tactical. Like some nice paper or linen Micarta, or the gold G10 showed earlier. Or maybe even some stabilized wood like mazur birch.

By the way, does anyone know if the first DLT exclusive was a one-off or if it will return?
On deck: FRN Chaparral

Moved on: Techno 2, SpydieChef

Excited to get: UKPK Heinnie Haynes edition, Lil'Kapara (bring it on! :D )
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

I’d chase micarta with S90V or LC200N, but Magnacut might be worth the wait. I don’t have issues with either of the current scale options so variations of carbon or G10 would be second after micarta.

ETA: probably a long shot but clad HAP40 would be cool too.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I also think S90V would make a good Kapara steel.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Help me understand the request for a grippier scale material. Is it due to reduced or compromised grip strength? Does your job require lots stab cuts? Oil on your hands?
I find I have plenty of grip on the Kapara even with sweaty hands, but then my cutting almost never needs a stab cut or thrust. What is your use case that requires extra grip? I'm just curious is all, not trying to pick a fight.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I think the Kapara has excellent ergos and grip once I’m holding and using it. The problem, for me, is when I have a less secure grip when opening or especially when closing it. The Kapara is pretty narrow around the compression lock and that combined with the less-grippy handle makes it feel like it might fall out of my hands when closing with the compression lock (with one hand). Granted, I haven’t dropped it yet when doing this, but it would feel more secure with a little more grip.