K390 Stretch 2: Manix 2 LW killer?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Manix 2 LW killer?

Post by kennethsime »

chronovore wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:11 pm
Here is the Rockjumper vs Manix 2 LW:
Man, I cannot wait for the leaf jumper. That handle looks sweet!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Both are good. Endela is a little smaller/lighter overall. Stretch is by no means an overweight beast but does carry and feel notably larger. I like both, have not decided on a clear favorite between them yet. I do like the straight spine stretch blade more than expected, very nice blade shape.

K390 is really good stuff, definitely worth trying.

EDIT: This was in response to benben
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
benben

Post by benben »

Wandering_About wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:49 am
Both are good. Endela is a little smaller/lighter overall. Stretch is by no means an overweight beast but does carry and feel notably larger. I like both, have not decided on a clear favorite between them yet. I do like the straight spine stretch blade more than expected, very nice blade shape.

K390 is really good stuff, definitely worth trying.

EDIT: This was in response to benben
Thank you!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

benben wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:37 am
Haven’t bought a knife in a couple of months other than a couple of used exclusive PM2’s from a guys collection, waiting on the Ayoob!

But….I’m wanting to try some K390. So what ya think, an Endela or a SS Stretch? I’m sure I’d really like either one!
I think it comes down to three things. First, how does the Endura fit in your hand. I have to modify them when I buy them. The K390 Stretch I do not have to do anything to. Second, do you think you need a very slightly slimmer knife profile? If not, then the Stretch is the one, but if so, it is the Endela (not a lot of difference). Third, if five ounces is too much extra weight, then it is the Endela for you.

For me, the fit of the knife in my hand was the major deciding factor.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Haven’t bought a knife in a couple of months other than a couple of used exclusive PM2’s from a guys collection, waiting on the Ayoob!

But….I’m wanting to try some K390. So what ya think, an Endela or a SS Stretch? I’m sure I’d really like either one!

Just happened to come across this older pic (Stretch, Endela, Delica) - might help.

I personally would probably take the Endela over the SS Stretch. For me the Endela ergos work perfectly and it is a slimmer, lighter carry.
Plus: In SE it is perhaps the best cutter I own among my folders.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:55 pm
benben wrote:

Just happened to come across this older pic (Stretch, Endela, Delica) - might help.

I personally would probably take the Endela over the SS Stretch. For me the Endela ergos work perfectly and it is a slimmer, lighter carry.

That Endela has sorely tempted me, but in the end I decided to try a different handle shape and I am very glad I did. Yes, it is a bit heavier, but not extremely so. However, the handle on the Stretch really works well with my hand. I'd have to modify the Endela.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

That Stretch looks like a love child from a PM2 and a Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:
That Endela has sorely tempted me, but in the end I decided to try a different handle shape and I am very glad I did. Yes, it is a bit heavier, but not extremely so. However, the handle on the Stretch really works well with my hand. I'd have to modify the Endela.

Sure, Doc, the Stretch 2 is a great knife and I´d own probably more than one if there wasn´t the Stretch 1 that I just prefer (I actually have five at the moment in different configurations.. the only folder ever I have/had backups for and have to since it is discontinued) - For your bigger-than-mine hands (though mine are not exactly small too) the Stretch 2 will be better than the "1" anyway, no doubt!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:

Sure, Doc, the Stretch 2 is a great knife and I´d own probably more than one if there wasn´t the Stretch 1 that I just prefer (I actually have five at the moment in different configurations.. the only folder ever I have/had backups for and have to since it is discontinued) - For your bigger-than-mine hands (though mine are not exactly small too) the Stretch 2 will be better than the "1" anyway, no doubt!!
Sal is working on a Straight Spine Stretch XL. THAT will be something.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Post by benben »

Wartstein wrote:
benben wrote:

Thank you Warstein! As I said, I know me, I know I’d be happy with either one! Definitely leaning towards the Endela, why? I don’t own one! I do have an original Stretch 1 that I carry often.

As far as I’m concerned, there’s not enough difference in OAL, blade length, and weight for any of the dimensions to be the deciding factor, mute point, at least for me anyway.

First off it’s all about the steel here first! Then choil or not, blade shape, and handle shape. I can see where the PM2 crowd, and choil fans would lean heavily towards the Stretch. And the Endura / Delica crowd would want to split the difference in size with the Endela.

I love my Stretch 1, I love the blade shape of my PM2’s, and also my Delica’s, love the handle shape of my Rockjumper…..which that gets the nod towards the Stretch minus the choil.

Sorta sounds like a “get both” scenario!! I think it’ll be the Endela, just solely based on not having one, just talked myself into it! Thanks for your response!
benben

Post by benben »

Ordered today, several firsts here!

First Endela.
First time trying K390.
First purchase ever from DLT Trading.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

benben wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:26 pm
Ordered today, several firsts here!

First Endela.
First time trying K390.
First purchase ever from DLT Trading.
I am sure you'll like the "first first"! :smlling-eyes
(Never tried the second and third "first" myself, but no reason to assume that you might not like those too... ;) )
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Just got my Stretch SS K390. First impression: this is close to being the perfect heavy abuse user. Excellent steel, functionally excellent but modest materials, and perfect design. It fills the hand better than the PM2. Lays flatter in hand for shaving cuts compared to PM2. Bias to shut with back lock makes it safer. I’ve also discovered that the benefits of a Boye Dent for me is not so much finding the lock, but activating it for one handed closing. I feel like this Stretch SS is up to task for being used hard and I don’t have to feel guilty about banging up a safe-queen knife.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:02 pm
Just got my Stretch SS K390. First impression: this is close to being the perfect heavy abuse user. Excellent steel, functionally excellent but modest materials, and perfect design. It fills the hand better than the PM2. Lays flatter in hand for shaving cuts compared to PM2. Bias to shut with back lock makes it safer. I’ve also discovered that the benefits of a Boye Dent for me is not so much finding the lock, but activating it for one handed closing. I feel like this Stretch SS is up to task for being used hard and I don’t have to feel guilty about banging up a safe-queen knife.
Great summary, I agree on everything especially the comparison to the PM2 (which is certainly a good one too, don't get me wrong, but for me no match to the Stretch).

One question though on "hard use": Do you feel the rather fine tip will hold up to this? I personally still slightly prefer the stouter, but for me still fine enough tip of the "original" Stretch
NCC-2893

Post by NCC-2893 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Great summary, I agree on everything especially the comparison to the PM2 (which is certainly a good one too, don't get me wrong, but for me no match to the Stretch).

One question though on "hard use": Do you feel the rather fine tip will hold up to this? I personally still slightly prefer the stouter, but for me still fine enough tip of the "original" Stretch
Let me clarify, “Hard Use” and not “Hard Abuse”. Hard use for me does not include being a pry bar. But does encompass cutting through mixed materials, slipping under cordage for twist cuts, and notching wood. I’ve not had the original Stretch in hand so I cannot compare the two; I’ll take your word for it. I think any tip shortcomings with the Stretch SS K390 would be marginal for most daily use. Skinning definitely would take a hit with the SS, but I would think anyone really into skinning would go the route of a fixed blade full stainless anyway.

My Spyderco tastes have evolved over the years. I used to be about the High Speed Low Drag operator stuff. Compression locks and thick stock ruled my collection. These days I tend to gravitate to FRN scales and back locks. I still fidget, but tend to do so with one handed index finger opening and closing.
“I get on my bike and I ride off…on the grass.”
KnifusMaximus

Post by KnifusMaximus »

My Endela has a loose scale on one side near the pivot. I can slide the scale up and down about 1/32 of an inch. Like the scale is oversized for the liner, or the liner is under sized. It pretty annoying to feel the scale move every time I open and close it. Tightening the screws doesnt help, It would make the knife unopenable for how tight it would need to be. I am thinking of taking it apart and wedging some small strips of foil in there to see if that will stop it from moving.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

NCC-2893 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:32 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:20 pm

Let me clarify, “Hard Use” and not “Hard Abuse”. Hard use for me does not include being a pry bar. But does encompass cutting through mixed materials, slipping under cordage for twist cuts, and notching wood. I’ve not had the original Stretch in hand so I cannot compare the two; I’ll take your word for it. I think any tip shortcomings with the Stretch SS K390 would be marginal for most daily use. Skinning definitely would take a hit with the SS, but I would think anyone really into skinning would go the route of a fixed blade full stainless anyway.

My Spyderco tastes have evolved over the years. I used to be about the High Speed Low Drag operator stuff. Compression locks and thick stock ruled my collection. These days I tend to gravitate to FRN scales and back locks. I still fidget, but tend to do so with one handed index finger opening and closing.
Thanks for your reply!

To be clear: The fine tip of the SS Stretch is very useful in many "tip - tasks" and I did not want to imply it is actually "weak".+
I also agree with your definition of hard use. The only case where I really want a stouter tip is when having ti work "hard" AND fast, so there is no time to be a bit careful and there is a good chance of hitting metal or other hard materials that could snap a tip.
Here viewtopic.php?t=79554&start=780#p1344045 is an example in an old post of mine for what kind of jobs I am talking about (In short: It is about having to unpack stuff a helicopter brings in a brutal hurry).

/ Concerning thinner blade stock, FRN backlocks: You are my man!! :smlling-eyes
For me also the best, safest and most versatile combo. I am also with you in that a backlock is actually really fun to play with, it takes just a tad more practice. The method you are talking about is this one, right? :smirk https://streamable.com/j7fjd

( Here are my two other main ways of operating a backlock one handed:
https://streamable.com/bhhzs
https://streamable.com/myzlt )
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My K390 SS Stretch should arrive Monday. Very, very excited about this knife - once I get some Micarta scales on it, I think it'll be just about the perfect EDC.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

As the owner of several Stretches, I can't wait to see those Micarta scales Kenneth. Would love some nested G10 that are nice and rounded too.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:14 pm
My K390 SS Stretch should arrive Monday. Very, very excited about this knife - once I get some Micarta scales on it, I think it'll be just about the perfect EDC.
Where will you get those?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050