Change my mind: the Shaman costs too much

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Change my mind: the Shaman costs too much

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:12 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:21 am
Is there a choiless manix? If not there needs to be one.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73611&p=1140036&hil ... g#p1140036

Lots of upgraded Tenacious options since that post...
Except the egos on the manix are a thousand times better than that on the tenacious for me anyway.
Did you try a Tenacious LW (so in FRN)?

I really love the ergos of my Manix LW and it will always have a prominent place in my smaller EDC niche.
But my S35VN Tenacious LW has different, but great ergos too. In real hard use (like in really bearing down on the knife) even better / less "hotspotty" than the Manix.

Both Eric Glesser designs after all.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:49 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:12 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:33 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:21 am
Is there a choiless manix? If not there needs to be one.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=73611&p=1140036&hil ... g#p1140036

Lots of upgraded Tenacious options since that post...
Except the egos on the manix are a thousand times better than that on the tenacious for me anyway.
Did you try a Tenacious LW (so in FRN)?

I really love the ergos of my Manix LW and it will always have a prominent place in my smaller EDC niche.
But my S35VN Tenacious LW has different, but great ergos too. In real hard use (like in really bearing down on the knife) even better / less "hotspotty" than the Manix.

Both Eric Glesser designs after all.
Id consider getting one. Its such a good deal. Although i might get the resilience instead.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I just bought a Shaman (finally!) after wanting one since the release but not wanting another black G10/S30V knife. I own a couple of PM2’s and it’s a great knife. In my hand and pocket the PM2 is good but not great. I have tried aftermarket scales, deep carry clips and swapping from tip down to tip up to down to…and it’s good not great. Both of mine are G10 scales one blurple and the other flat earth or coyote. The Pm2’s are S110V and S35VN and I have no complaints about the steels. I was in Golden recently and they had a Shaman in orange G10 and Rex 45 in the case. I forced my self to look at other knives but I was drawn back to that case. I asked to see the knife, held it, and it felt great in hand. I bought the knife. (I bet you all saw that coming!) The Shaman fits my hand much better than the PM2, and is better in pocket! Probably in spite of its size and because of the smooth G10. I had been waiting for a stainless steel but took a flyer on the Rex 45. The PM2 is a very very good knife. For me the Shaman is great. Worth the extra money? Undoubtedly. None of my knives really see any hard use, package opening, cardboard boxes, household and yard chores, camping, whittling so the steel difference doesn’t matter in any reasoned way. The lock mechanism is of course the same across these 3 knives. So, if you have held both, and used them and still strongly prefer a PM2 of course that’s the better knife. Even with the retail price difference I would buy a Shaman instead of a PM2 if the materials were the same.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:15 pm
I understand that they have to raise the price because they're in demand and they might not have the means of production to make enough of them. But 224 bucks! When you can get a PM2 for 150 or less. I don't think theres a 70+ dollar value difference. When it comes to looks sure. What's interesting about Spyderco is that their customer base actually has a fare bit of people who will pay that much for a regular s30v knife. So I guess it's what the market will bare. But still! 224!

CHANGE MY MIND.
Not my job to change your mind. If you don't like the price. Try to find it cheaper, buy used, or don't buy it. Quit expecting me and others to prove to you why it is worth the cost. And feel the need to explain or justify our purchases to you or anyone else. No one has forced you to purchase something you don't like or find too expensive.

If I see a knife that is too costly in my opinion. I don't buy it. Nor complain on various forums about others purchasing decisions epecting them to justify their purchases to myself. I move along with my life and shop elsewhere.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Josh1973 wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:01 am
Paraguy wrote:
I understand that they have to raise the price because they're in demand and they might not have the means of production to make enough of them. But 224 bucks! When you can get a PM2 for 150 or less. I don't think theres a 70+ dollar value difference. When it comes to looks sure. What's interesting about Spyderco is that their customer base actually has a fare bit of people who will pay that much for a regular s30v knife. So I guess it's what the market will bare. But still! 224!

CHANGE MY MIND.
Not my job to change your mind. If you don't like the price. Try to find it cheaper, buy used, or don't buy it. Quit expecting me and others to prove to you why it is worth the cost. And feel the need to explain or justify our purchases to you or anyone else. No one has forced you to purchase something you don't like or find too expensive.

If I see a knife that is too costly in my opinion. I don't buy it. Nor complain on various forums about others purchasing decisions epecting them to justify their purchases to myself. I move along with my life and shop elsewhere.
Haha. I wasn't complaining. My mind has been changed btw.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:08 am
I just bought a Shaman (finally!) after wanting one since the release but not wanting another black G10/S30V knife. I own a couple of PM2’s and it’s a great knife. In my hand and pocket the PM2 is good but not great. I have tried aftermarket scales, deep carry clips and swapping from tip down to tip up to down to…and it’s good not great. Both of mine are G10 scales one blurple and the other flat earth or coyote. The Pm2’s are S110V and S35VN and I have no complaints about the steels. I was in Golden recently and they had a Shaman in orange G10 and Rex 45 in the case. I forced my self to look at other knives but I was drawn back to that case. I asked to see the knife, held it, and it felt great in hand. I bought the knife. (I bet you all saw that coming!) The Shaman fits my hand much better than the PM2, and is better in pocket! Probably in spite of its size and because of the smooth G10. I had been waiting for a stainless steel but took a flyer on the Rex 45. The PM2 is a very very good knife. For me the Shaman is great. Worth the extra money? Undoubtedly. None of my knives really see any hard use, package opening, cardboard boxes, household and yard chores, camping, whittling so the steel difference doesn’t matter in any reasoned way. The lock mechanism is of course the same across these 3 knives. So, if you have held both, and used them and still strongly prefer a PM2 of course that’s the better knife. Even with the retail price difference I would buy a Shaman instead of a PM2 if the materials were the same.
Thanks for this comment. I think sometimes you can't really tell the value of a knife until you hold it. The first time i saw a spyderco i though they looked dumb then i held one and i immediately wanted one.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

You are very welcome! It’s not a very original thought at it’s core but it is worth remembering that an object can be more than sum of its parts. There are lots of forum members that are passionate about a model, or a type of lock or Spyder edge, I try to keep an open mind about all these things. I even bought a back lock recently! LOL
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Josh1973

Post by Josh1973 »

Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Josh1973 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

CHANGE MY MIND.

Cool. Sorry if I came off a bit dickish. I just hate trying to change someone's mind when even my opinions are flawed. And people have different tastes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Josh1973 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:55 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:28 pm
Josh1973 wrote:
Paraguy wrote:

CHANGE MY MIND.

Cool. Sorry if I came off a bit dickish. I just hate trying to change someone's mind when even my opinions are flawed. And people have different tastes.
No hard feelings.
"Some call me...Tim?"