Stretch 2 or Endura 4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hullk

Re: Stretch 2 or Endura 4

Post by Hullk »

twinboysdad wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:50 am
E4 for EDC
Stretch for extended cutting

What role are you looking to fill?
Mostly EDC, I've heard the stretch isn't bad for EDC though?
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like a forward finger choil and also the entire handle more on the Stretch, so that is what I would pick. I also just like the shape of the Stretch more.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Agreycat

Post by Agreycat »

If you're just looking for ZDP-189, Bentoboxshop has a Plain Edge ZDP-189 British Racing Green Delica 4 Lightweight in stock.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

The Stretch 2 fits my hand better and I really like the choil. But I've carried Enduras more because my Stretch is the G-10 model and heavier, with sharper angles on the handle than the lightweights. Also, there's the blade shape, which seemed a little like a dwarf cutlass until I got used to it :) But finally, the straight spine version was issued in my favorite steel, K390, and while waiting on it I've been carrying the G-10 model in anticipation. And being a typical fickle fan, I've got used to the blade shape and now like it! It's a practical heavy duty shape.

As for the Endura, the blade is a little longer and it's handy for cutting food, but can get in the way when doing close work. I'm not crazy about the two grip ridges on the handle, but they're in the right place when I'm cutting with my thumb on the blade ramp or slicing food with the handle held diagonally across my palm. They do seem a little out of place sometimes, but the liner is deep enough that it would be very easy to trim or sand them down a little if they bothered you.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Of the two I kinda prefer the Stretch, but I'd take a Rock Jumper over both if you're ok with a wharnie. If not and you don't mind waiting I'd see how the Leaf Jumper is or even the Sequoia and Cliff Jumper if you want something a bit larger. The Rock Jumper is kinda sorta a choiless Stretch in a way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:41 pm
Of the two I kinda prefer the Stretch, but I'd take a Rock Jumper over both if you're ok with a wharnie. If not and you don't mind waiting I'd see how the Leaf Jumper is or even the Sequoia and Cliff Jumper if you want something a bit larger. The Rock Jumper is kinda sorta a choiless Stretch in a way.
Definitely will get a rock jumper someday, just want to pick something up in ZDP-189.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Grab the Stretch 2 ZDP-189.
GautamGoel

Post by GautamGoel »

OP: Should I get the Endura or the Stretch
Half of responses: get the Endura
The other half: get the Stretch

I don't think we made anything easier for OP!
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Another vote for Stretch… or Endura… or both… There’s really not a wrong answer. Of the two, I own a ZDP Stretch. My Endura is S30v — both of them I enjoy immensely.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Easy. Stretch has better ergos for most. Stretch has a more versatile blade for most.

Endura has more edge length and might be an easier carry. It’s longer but less of a pocket hog.

If it’s a work knife, Endura for more edge to spread out the work. More edc, stretch, straight edge and belly. More of hand filling grip. Usually stretch is ground thinner than the Endura.

If both are to much knife get a delica.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Ideally, of course, try 'em in hand when possible, but that's a 100 mile round trip for me, so not done very often.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hullk wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:52 pm
New to the forums but I'm looking at getting a knife in ZDP-189. Looks like Spyderco will be phasing out ZDP-189 as a steel and I would look to add a knife with it before that happens. I already have a native 5 in S110V and a dragonfly 2 on the way. I'm a big fan of the forward finger choil which has me leaning to the Stretch, but I don't know how crazy I am about the blade shape. Price really isn't a factor, they are within 10 dollars of each other. I'm excited to hear peoples opinions on which they would recommend, please feel free to include pictures.

Well, it´s not easy to recommend one or the other, since you write little about your preferences and use scenarios.

I own / owned several Enduras (also in ZDP), had the Stretch 2 in the straight spine and the regular VG10 versions, and do own (including back ups and a totally beat up one) five Stretch 1 (discontinued) at the moment.
Pretty clear that I prefer the Stretch 1 over the current Stretch 2, and I really recommend to find a "1" in ZDP (they do show up on ebay sometimes, both with the british racing green and the blue (older) handle - but more expensive than the "2" (in a quick search I found a ZDP Stretch 1 for about $ 150).

Stretch 2 and Endura are pretty different knives for me personally:
I classify my folders a lot (but not exclusively) by the length of cutting edge they offer, and so the Stretch 2 is a small knife in my system, while the Endura is "regular" and more versatile for general EDC in my view (the Endura gives you 88 mm / 3.44" of cutting edge to work with, the Stretch 2 only 75mm / 2.97". That´s even a bit more than the difference between Para 3 and PM2)
If cutting edge length does not matter to you: The Stretch 2 is an amazing knife! Ergos are probably even better than on the "1", especially for really large hands, and it has very much PM2 dimensions, but is just "better" in my view (thinner blade, better lock, better ergos (chamfered FRN handle), and I unlike others I DO like that the Stretch offers a long section of totally straight edge and than a pronounced belly towards the tip.

Ergo-wise the Endura is great too for me. Fits my L to XL hand perfectly, and the ricasso functions just as well as a dedicated choil.

Another great ZDP option would be the Caly 3.5 (discontinued), but I think you´d have to pay at least 200 $ if you find one.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Endura.

Although theyre both priced too high.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
archangel

Post by archangel »

Definitely Stretch. You'll learn to love the blade shape, it's very useful.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

I'm definitely leaning towards the Stretch. As to people wondering about what sort of use cases I need a knife for it's mostly typical edc tasks:
- Opening packages
- Light food prep
- Light cutting (zip ties, twine, breaking down boxes)
DansGearAddiction

Post by DansGearAddiction »

I like the Stretch over the Endura personally. Big fan of forward choils -- let you choke up real nice on the knife if needed.
Current Collection
Chaparral (All Variants), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Hullk wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:21 pm
- Opening packages
- Light food prep
- Light cutting (zip ties, twine, breaking down boxes)
Food prep is a strong argument for the Endura and its longer blade and cutting edge!
A really noticeable difference to the Stretch when cutting up an apple, a bread loaf, a baking role, a sandwich.... both in convenience and ease of cutting, and keeping the pivot clean.

Breaking dowm boxes also works better with a longer edge, plus a longer edge will stay sharp longer than a shorter one.

As much as I like the Stretch: The longer blade of the Endura just makes it more versatile and a better ALL purpose EDC imho
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
archangel

Post by archangel »

I like the belly the Stretch blade offers. There are so many rather flat cutting edges out there. The Stretch's belly blade is a welcomed alternative. Give curves a chance, they deserve it. ;)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't know off the top of my head, is the ZDP Endura available in FFG or still saber grind? That would be a deciding factor for me and would strongly sway me towards the Stretch if it's not available in FFG. The Stretch is a great slicer.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:53 am
I don't know off the top of my head, is the ZDP Endura available in FFG or still saber grind? That would be a deciding factor for me and would strongly sway me towards the Stretch if it's not available in FFG. The Stretch is a great slicer.
It is! I had an ffg ZDP Endura..