Blade HQ Para 3 LW in M4

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
notfixingit

Re: Blade HQ Para 3 LW in M4

Post by notfixingit »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am
Henry_P wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:17 am
notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:02 am
I prefer the PM2, but the PM3 is perfect for when I travel to states that have the less then 3in law, the handle on the pm3 is about as small as I would use.. heck I'm still kind of hoping someone makes something with the pm2 scale size and less then 2in blade for CA trips lol
The 2 inch law is only for autos. California has no restrictions on blade length for manual folders. You could carry your regular PM2. I carry my shaman all the time in California.
Doesn't that vary by locality?
LA County Sheriff's department owes me a PM2 then. They confiscated one in 2019 because it quote "fell under the 2in law because it was a pocket knife that could be concealed"
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am

Doesn't that vary by locality?
Yes, while there are no state restrictions on blade length, there are local laws. However, even in LA, the limit is 3".
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think the locality that made me carry shorter blades was Sacramento. I can't remember for sure though.

I know at my parents house there is no blade length limit, but the nearest city has a 3" limit.

California is such a patchwork of local regulations that I am hesitant to go there without something like an urban or pingo, in case I drive up to visit my brother (Bay Area) or something and inadvertently find myself in a more restrictive jurisdiction.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:31 am
LA County Sheriff's department owes me a PM2 then. They confiscated one in 2019 because it quote "fell under the 2in law because it was a pocket knife that could be concealed"
Good luck collecting that debt, friend - 99% chance that knife when straight in the officer's pocket.

My brief understanding is that the 2" restriction is a statewide limit on Automatic knives, although LA does have a 3" restriction on all knives so the PM2 was too big anyway.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is just not get into a situation where an officer is considering your pocket knife in the first place.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:09 am
notfixingit wrote:
Good luck collecting that debt, friend - 99% chance that knife when straight in the officer's pocket.

My brief understanding is that the 2" restriction is a statewide limit on Automatic knives, although LA does have a 3" restriction on all knives so the PM2 was too big anyway.

Honestly, the best thing you can do is just not get into a situation where an officer is considering your pocket knife in the first place.
I lived in LA for 5 years and carried an Endura most days. I also never took my knife out in public unless I needed to use it, then put it right back. Never had an issue.

If you just use your knife as a tool in a discreet way no one will care. And it’s fairly easy to not pull a knife out in front of the police. If the authorities are interested in the contents of your pockets you have other problems.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Confiscation is merely theft under color of law, i.e. threat of government force. The patchwork of laws of all kinds nation-wide serve only to entrap people. Only criminals are truly free. The rest of us are too scared of accidentally breaking some arcane insane laws and losing our homes, livelihoods, children. Sad state of affairs isn’t it? I call it tyranny. Government needs to shrink.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Shiny footprints, everyone. Just a reminder that Spyderco fully supports LEOs.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Do people really pay attention to that stuff? You really won't buy or carry a certain knife just because of the state your in? That's crazy to me. Heck I'm in New York and have never had an issue in any area of the state. Unless your shirt is tucked in and you have an attention seeking pocket clip...would a cop really care, or be looking for one? Seems like it would only be an issue during a traffic stop if you had to step out of the vehicle or your acting a fool in a public place and the police are called on you.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:01 pm
Do people really pay attention to that stuff? You really won't buy or carry a certain knife just because of the state your in? That's crazy to me. Heck I'm in New York and have never had an issue in any area of the state. Unless your shirt is tucked in and you have an attention seeking pocket clip...would a cop really care, or be looking for one? Seems like it would only be an issue during a traffic stop if you had to step out of the vehicle or your acting a fool in a public place and the police are called on you.
Ive had friends catch a weapons charge for carrying an auto most of us would consider a toy. It isn't a problem until it is. It's not worth it to me to break the knife laws here. I suspect I'd never have an issue, but it only takes once.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

kennethsime wrote:
notfixingit wrote:

I stopped for a car accident that I wasn't involved in, helping a deputy get two people out of a car, I used my knife to cut the stuck seatbelt of the passenger just as his supervisor showed up, after taking my statement the supervisor confiscated it.

I agree it probably ended up in his pocket even know I was told it was destroyed when I asked about paying to have it shipped to me the following week when I was home.
Last edited by notfixingit on Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

Edit, dup post

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 pm
kennethsime wrote:
notfixingit wrote:

I stopped for a car accident that I wasn't involved in, helping a deputy get two people out of a car, I used my knife to cut the stuck seatbelt of the passenger just as his supervisor showed up, after taking my statement the supervisor confiscated it.

I agree it probably ended up in his pocket even know I was told it was destroyed when I asked about paying to have it shipped to me the following week when I was home.
Wow. Good on you. That officer… shiny footprints.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 pm
kennethsime wrote:
notfixingit wrote:

Not surprising. Many shady cops out there...many protect and serve, but I know there's also plenty that were bullied in school and only got a badge to make up for their adolescent shortcomings. Touchy subject I'm sure. We've got one that moved in a few doors down just a few weeks back. Commenting on my neighbors loud bike, as well as my truck...go catch a real criminal!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

I think this would be an excellent work knife.

As for law enforcement, like all other groups, you can't get all the good people in and can't keep all the bad ones out.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I expected to hate the color much more. In person, it’s not so different from the teal s90v version. Great QC on mine, too (for a p3lw).
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

aaronkb wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm
I expected to hate the color much more. In person, it’s not so different from the teal s90v version. Great QC on mine, too (for a p3lw).
I've noticed that whoever takes pictures of knives for BHQ ramps up the color saturation pretty significantly.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:34 am
aaronkb wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:56 pm
I've noticed that whoever takes pictures of knives for BHQ ramps up the color saturation pretty significantly.
No joke. I never noticed before now but I’m a believer
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Just so happens I’m on a <3 inch blade kick at the moment. Being a sucker for bright colors and tool steels, this soothes a few itches. Ordered.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I actually wish the teal and green were closer to the pictures that bladehq posts

The pastel colors are an interesting take, though