Rivers Edge Cutlery Upcoming Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CPM-Greg

Re: Rivers Edge Cutlery Upcoming Exclusive

Post by CPM-Greg »

I got the notification here in Australia, finished my beer, cooked supper, made love, and ****, the run was sold out.

CPM-Greg
Thinking about which Taichung blade to get next.......
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

I had one in my cart but couldn't proceed any further, bummer.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I quit playing these games. I can tell which runs will be like this and don’t even bother. I’ve got too many knives to stress out over it anymore. I know it shouldn’t but I admit that it sours me towards certain dealers too. In the end though I am grateful that dealers take these risks to make these happen.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is my personal feeling that if you are going to offer low volume high demand exclusives, your cart software should protect the buyer who has one in the cart. I understand the reason why cart software does not normally do that, but for this sort of thing it should. If the cart software cannot do it, then there should be a lottery system in place.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Just saw the email this morning, really wanted one but I will just carry my z wear shaman.

Really wish they would have done a drop date and time notification. This does factor into who I buy from as I have bought a few full price knives from REC. Going to go unsubscribe from them on social media.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Matus

Post by Matus »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:47 am
I still hope for a regular production K390 Shaman. Or even S45VN Cruwear.
Fixed that for ya :D
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

I imagine KnifeWorks will make one of their 204p forest green versions. I can wait for that one. Less hype for basically the same knife aside from coated parts.
jdw

Post by jdw »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 am
I imagine KnifeWorks will make one of their 204p forest green versions. I can wait for that one. Less hype for basically the same knife aside from coated parts.

This is what I am waiting for as well. I am not sure that the Shaman is the best knife for stainless but I really enjoy my 204p Military from KW.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SpydieTerp

Post by SpydieTerp »

Question - would we rather have distributors sit on their inventory until they build up enough to make for a viable drop which doesn't sell out in 10 seconds and fuel the scalper market? I feel like I'd rather wait another couple/few months until you can actually have a drop that lasts for at least a couple of hours.

That KnifeWorks possibility sounds great if it were to happen. I've had good experiences with them.
Current collection: Bow River, Chaparral Raffir Noble XHP, Dragonfly ZDP-189, Lil' Native M4, Manix 2 LW 20CV, Native 5 LW SPY27, Native Chief M4, Para 2 S30V, Para 2 20CV, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 33 DLC CRU-WEAR, Para 3 Maxamet, Salt 2 SE, Shaman S30V, SpydieChef LC200N, Tenacious S35VN
Recent purchases: Shaman S30V
On the radar: Caribbean Sheepsfoot
Lost: Delica 4 LW (stolen), Native 5 LW S110V (kept by TSA screener / refused to mail)
Wishlist: Shaman Micarta
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Tentatively, my understanding is that Spyderco offers retailers/distributors a range of steels, a range of G10/FRN colors, and a range of blade finishes. Each combination of the three parameters can become an exclusive.

Then, retailers choose their combinations based on distinctiveness, steel desirability, and brand strength. We see some exclusives where the steel was prioritized - It's likely the 4V line from St. Nick's would have sold out just as fast if it wasn't red and black. We see other exclusives where the distinctiveness and brand strength locks the retailer into combinations that might not be the best fit. I know a bunch of us would have found the Rock Lobster exclusive even more compelling if it had been done in a steel that was anywhere close to stainless; unfortunately BHQ's branding made M4 inevitable.

That said, to speak to SpydieTerp's point: The market is both fickle and swift; steels that are extremely desired in one quarter may not be as sought-after later in the year. I'm sure it would be beneficial for the consumers to do a larger drop, but for the retailers, it's much better to strike while the hype is peaking, even if you only sell a few hundred knives. Better that than to be stuck with 4000 of a model combination that is seen as less desirable...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SSD_777

Post by SSD_777 »

It's no surprise to see that this release was a s**t show. The Para 3 was a joke, PM2 was even worse and by the time the Lil Native was released I had decided that rivers edge should slide into the river and sink out of existence.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Matus wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:16 am
nerdlock wrote:

Lol, that would be awesome - a regular production Cruwear Shaman. Don't think it's possible though, given that there have been DLC Cruwear Knifejoker Shaman, Cru-carta Shaman and Z-wear Shaman sprints already.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

SpydieTerp wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:10 am
Question - would we rather have distributors sit on their inventory until they build up enough to make for a viable drop which doesn't sell out in 10 seconds and fuel the scalper market? I feel like I'd rather wait another couple/few months until you can actually have a drop that lasts for at least a couple of hours.

That KnifeWorks possibility sounds great if it were to happen. I've had good experiences with them.

I agree with building up stock until there’s enough to not sell out in 13 seconds.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:33 pm
Matus wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

Lol, that would be awesome - a regular production Cruwear Shaman. Don't think it's possible though, given that there have been DLC Cruwear Knifejoker Shaman, Cru-carta Shaman and Z-wear Shaman sprints already.
Even the hint of Cruwear in anything ball bearing or compression always makes my credit card cry. Still kicking myself for missing out on the Purple DLT PM2
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Matus wrote:
nerdlock wrote:

Even the hint of Cruwear in anything ball bearing or compression always makes my credit card cry. Still kicking myself for missing out on the Purple DLT PM2

I know what you mean haha. I have all the DLT Purple Cruwears so far, and hopefully the Shaman will be next... I'm pretty sure with the volume of exclusives that DLT orders, you won't miss out on the next opportunity!
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
SLOSpyder

Post by SLOSpyder »

Luckily for the bots, the same bots will be able to procure another one in a years time or so making the cycle repeat itself. Not gonna stress over it but this is one combo I would really like to add to my case. A wait list might be in order for the RECs. Make it prepaid or partial prepaid to cover materials if needed.
notfixingit

Post by notfixingit »

nerdlock wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:33 pm
notfixingit wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:30 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Matus wrote:

I know what you mean haha. I have all the DLT Purple Cruwears so far, and hopefully the Shaman will be next... I'm pretty sure with the volume of exclusives that DLT orders, you won't miss out on the next opportunity!
I tried swiping my credit card on the screen when I read this, it didn't work :(
----------------------------------------------------
Spyderco and Tops enthusiast
Obsessed with DLC Cruwear for some reason
Knives, Guns, and Watches, yes please

- Tom aka NotFixingIT
steelbuckeye

Post by steelbuckeye »

I’m curious if anyone in this forum actually was able to purchase one of these when they dropped? I know a few people have them from blade show, but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone who bought it online.

I’m a fan of REC (but I’m biased since they’re local to me), but they must have had a very small run of these if no one here was able to purchase. I’m not a fan of the shaman so I wasn’t interested in this one, but had no problem waking into the store and buying a PM2 when those dropped. Wonder if the same could be said for this one.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I somehow was in the right place at the right time and managed to get one. It should be here tomorrow.
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

230F267D-F757-44A5-9752-D223C27E148B.jpeg
B320831E-200F-4331-93DB-E97C5C72D72E.jpeg
I just got this out of the mail and it is probably my favorite shaman so far. I love the colors and the steel used. The blacked out liners are a nice touch.