C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by p_atrick »

From this thread, it sounds like there are plenty of people who have never handled the knife but are interested. I guess you could say that they are Ayoob noobs (I'll see myself out).
Last edited by p_atrick on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:14 pm
From this thread, it sounds like there are plenty of people who have never handled the knife but are interested. I guess you could say that they are Ayood noobs (I'll see myself out).
Just merely having a solid appreciation for the C-60 or having a healthy curiosity of the model is quite adequate to feel right at home with the growing group of "AYOOB DUDES" :)

One of my biggest reasons for wanting to see the return of such a great model is so that all the newcomers or SpyderFans that missed out on the C-60 the first go-around can also have a chance at owning one.

But on the other hand I guess I would be lying if I didn't admit that I wanted a new one myself. And an improved version at that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
From this thread, it sounds like there are plenty of people who have never handled the knife but are interested. I guess you could say that they are Ayood noobs (I'll see myself out).

Guilty :o

There are certainly some things I'd change if I were in the drafting meeting, but overall I've never been more sure I'd like a model as I am with this one. The last model I felt this sure about was the Caribbean and it ended up being everything I expected and more. I guess I just know myself and what I like.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 pm
p_atrick wrote:
Just merely having a solid appreciation for the C-60 or having a healthy curiosity of the model is quite adequate to feel right at home with the growing group of "AYOOB DUDES" :)

One of my biggest reasons for wanting to see the return of such a great model is so that all the newcomers or SpyderFans that missed out on the C-60 the first go-around can also have a chance at owning one.

But on the other hand I guess I would be lying if I didn't admit that I wanted a new one myself. And an improved version at that.

Thank you JD. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:36 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:00 pm
p_atrick wrote:

Thank you JD. :)
You're quite welcome "nerdlock" :) Because I firmly believe that even more of these GOLDEN ERA Spyders ( 1998-2004) would have this type of fanfare if more of the newer fans and newer forum members will get the chance to check these classic models out first hand. I actually predict that a renaissance will take place for more of these Golden Era models. If many of these newer guys got to check out models like the JD Smith, Howard Viele, The Chinook models you would see a huge demand to bring back more of the models from that era.

The C-60 Ayoob is obviously at the top of my personal list but all of those Golden Era models had huge fan bases back in the day. How do you all think that Spyderco catapulted as high into the marketplace as fast as they did from the late 80s to the early 2000s? That was the launching point for Spyderco and the momentum continues I'm glad to say. And the C-60 was one of the first really elegant models that took Spyderco to a much higher level IMO...
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Did some palm tree pruning with my SE Ayoob; it performed extremely well, quickly 'saw slicing' through the palm fronds. Much more effective then my PE Military, which could only be press cut through the fronds using ~50lbs of force.

I had felt that the Ayoob performed unusually well as a pruning saw...turns out there's a reason why.

The Ayoob negative blade angle is very similar to the NBA used by high performance Japanese folding saws:

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:14 am
Did some palm tree pruning with my SE Ayoob; it performed extremely well, quickly 'saw slicing' through the palm fronds. Much more effective then my PE Military, which could only be press cut through the fronds using ~50lbs of force.

I had felt that the Ayoob performed unusually well as a pruning saw...turns out there's a reason why.
I find that most interesting Mark>> one big reason being that most of all of those "palm" species are really stringy and fibrous and thus very difficult to cut by comparison with most other materials. Also when I helped a couple of buddies of mine when I visited them in the Florida panhandle to move a cabbage palm tree that we found laying along the road as it probably fell off of a nursery truck. It blew me away as to how heavy that 6 to 7 foot young cabbage palm tree was. It truly took 5 of us to load it on a trailer. :eek:

Those palm species are dense beyond belief. Anything that cuts through palm fibers has got to not only be sharp but also needs great ergonomics>> which the C-60, full SE Ayoob model has.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Girls can be dudes.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With the belly that the C-60 Ayoob has it makes it an ideal tool for working in a swamp/wetlands project. I worked such a job back around 2002 to 2006. There are so many stringy type plants such as cattails, reeds along with about 20 different types of vines you encounter. There isn't hardly any vegetation in wetlands areas that are easy to cut or shear.

Not to mention how easy rope and cordage is to cut with the C-60 Ayoob model. The C-60 Ayoob in full SE has a lot of potential.
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:54 am
With the belly that the C-60 Ayoob has it makes it an ideal tool for working in a swamp/wetlands project. I worked such a job back around 2002 to 2006. There are so many stringy type plants such as cattails, reeds along with about 20 different types of vines you encounter. There isn't hardly any vegetation in wetlands areas that are easy to cut or shear.

Not to mention how easy rope and cordage is to cut with the C-60 Ayoob model. The C-60 Ayoob in full SE has a lot of potential.
Yes, the Ayoob is sort of an 'inverted hawkbill."

Because of the negative blade angle plus blade curvature, you get the same sort of hooking grab on materials. But at the same time, you have the full edge available for slicing against flat surfaces, whereas with the Hawk you only have the tip making contact with the material.

So you really end up with the pull cutting power of a hawkbill but also the ability to do other type of cuts like sawing and slicing, making it overall a much more versatile cutting tool.

And like a Hawk or Reverse S, the design pairs extremely well with SE.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

mark greenman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:34 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:54 am

Yes, the Ayoob is sort of an 'inverted hawkbill."

Because of the negative blade angle plus blade curvature, you get the same sort of hooking grab on materials. But at the same time, you have the full edge available for slicing against flat surfaces, whereas with the Hawk you only have the tip making contact with the material.

So you really end up with the pull cutting power of a hawkbill but also the ability to do other type of cuts like sawing and slicing, making it overall a much more versatile cutting tool.

And like a Hawk or Reverse S, the design pairs extremely well with SE.
That is so true that Spyderco's blades with any type of "CURVE" in them seem to excel in full SE. That's where I see them stand out the most. It was like I mentioned earlier in the thread>> I was speaking of the meat cutting test that our fellow forum member "Doc Snubnose" did with his full SE C-60 Ayoob model ( 1st Generation). He elaborated that it was his ultimate favorite Spyderco full SE model. He's not the only one to talk up the full SE Ayoob either.

Also I'm not giving up hope on the idea of a Salt Series version of the C-60 Ayoob at some point. It would be such a versatile outdoor folder in both edge types and with a nitrogen based, rustproof steel. I would own every variant they would make of the C-60 Ayoob. To me it's a "Mega-Classic" and a Hall of Famer as well.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven't been buying any of the Spyderco knives I've been wanting. I haven't purchased any knife since last year, and that was only a couple. I suspect that deep down, I'm saving and waiting for when this C-60 comes out. As I've said before, I want me an SE. IF I can snag one.

It would be nice if it rejoins the regular lineup, so it doesn't have to be a sprint.

I'd also like a Salt version.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 pm
I haven't been buying any of the Spyderco knives I've been wanting. I haven't purchased any knife since last year, and that was only a couple. I suspect that deep down, I'm saving and waiting for when this C-60 comes out. As I've said before, I want me an SE. IF I can snag one.

It would be nice if it rejoins the regular lineup, so it doesn't have to be a sprint.

I'd also like a Salt version.

Jim

I can relate, lately I've found myself looking at purchases and thinking "will I really use this instead of ______" and I think the Ayoob will rank very high on the list of knives I have to choose from.
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Here's my wild guess about what this knife will look like. I think it will be a Blade HQ exclusive in jade G10 and M4. They have already brought back some retired Spydies like the Chinese Folder, Lum Tanto, and Dodo.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:04 am
Here's my wild guess about what this knife will look like. I think it will be a Blade HQ exclusive in jade G10 and M4. They have already brought back some retired Spydies like the Chinese Folder, Lum Tanto, and Dodo.

I'm hoping for an official Spyderco sprint (or even full production) version and maybe a couple dealer exclusives too. Maximize the production numbers so we have a better chance of getting one. I'd also love to see a couple different steel options.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

After pondering it for awhile, I think it would be cool to have a utility version with a full flat grind and serrations AND the original SD model with hollow grind and both edge types. Utility version could be FRN with LC200N or H1 or AEB-L, etc. in the wide variety of FRN colors.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:39 am
After pondering it for awhile, I think it would be cool to have a utility version with a full flat grind and serrations AND the original SD model with hollow grind and both edge types. Utility version could be FRN with LC200N or H1 or AEB-L, etc. in the wide variety of FRN colors.
That's quite an interesting proposal. You would get no argument from me as long as we get the one in the pipeline as well.

There's been quite a few people in the past five years that have suggested a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob. But a "Utility" version is a most interesting idea to say the least.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A bit of a confession of sorts...

I have a waved Endura, and I really like the thick saber grind it has, at least aesthetically. It reminds me of a little bayonet. I like how thick the tip is, and how beefy the blade is overall for being such a short height narrow blade. I really would love to see it brought back in SE again, and especially if it were done in hollow grind instead of saber so at least the edge is a bit thinner because it does kinda slice like a door stop.

If the Ayoob comes in this sort of configuration (pretty sure it does) I think I'll like it for the same reasons, even if it could slice better in a different grind. Sometimes I'm happy with things for other reasons than simple all out performance above all else. The Vallotton was a similar knife that I just really liked even though it wasn't a very good slicer.
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:22 pm
A bit of a confession of sorts...

I have a waved Endura, and I really like the thick saber grind it has, at least aesthetically. It reminds me of a little bayonet. I like how thick the tip is, and how beefy the blade is overall for being such a short height narrow blade. I really would love to see it brought back in SE again, and especially if it were done in hollow grind instead of saber so at least the edge is a bit thinner because it does kinda slice like a door stop.

If the Ayoob comes in this sort of configuration (pretty sure it does) I think I'll like it for the same reasons, even if it could slice better in a different grind. Sometimes I'm happy with things for other reasons than simple all out performance above all else. The Vallotton was a similar knife that I just really liked even though it wasn't a very good slicer.
Yeah I kind of see what you mean. Take "Sheepsfoot" blades for instance. They are extremely limited in some areas but yet for emergency "rescue' type work they are the best in some cases. There is no way I could use any Sheepsfoot blade for an EDC. But yet I have an assortment of them.

I find the tip on the C-60 Ayoob to be extremely versatile. Now I did have to do a little grinding and tapering on the tip to get it to my liking but now it's like I've got a surgical needle on the end of the blade of the C-60. The C-60 has been a dream of an EDC for the past 2 months.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sal was ready to make a salt Ayoob when Lance started the request for a better salt folder. I was the one who mentioned the Ayoob for the starting place and I believe if the forum had supported it more we would have it now. I don’t think I will be lucky enough to get one if BHQ does the jade/M4, I have missed all of the ones I wanted. Hoping for production model