Serrated/Spyderedged Blades: What Uses? What Models?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Serrated/Spyderedged Blades: What Uses? What Models?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well it goes without saying that the Spyderedge was one of the great selling points that brought me to be an avid Spyderco fan. It also goes without saying that Spyderco is the undisputed king of serrated blades. Their patented Spyderedge has so many uses to it that I thought it might be high time to create a list of cutting chores that you use yours for? I use my serrated Spyders for so many different jobs that it would probably take a whole page just to list about half of them.

For several years now I've carried some serrated Spyderco model as a companion blade to my main plain edged EDC. But when the occasion arises when I need a serrated blade nothing else seems to work very good. I never want to be without a Spyderedged blade anymore. So please tell us all what you use your serrated Spyderco for? And let us know if a serrated Spyder happens to be your main EDC? In that past 3 to 4 years I've seen Spyderco's serrated blade grow in popularity and I would love to see that continue.

Also what type of serrated blade design do you prefer >>> i.e. Hawkbill, Sheepsfoot, clip point, Reverse S, ect, ect,. OK let's talk TEETH shall we.
skeeg11

Re: Serrated/Spyderedged Blades: What Uses? What Models?

Post by skeeg11 »

Fish gills, sea weed kelp balls, fish bones, sinew, gristle, and cartilage on a regular basis.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My use is "all uses". I haven't run into a situation where I absolutely needed plain edge in 4 years. Debating which is better for what use is just people's way of justifying their preferences and/or preconceived opinions, and that debate often starts with "oh they're impossible to sharpen". I've been using serrations for literally everything a person uses a knife for, from opening my mail to yard work and I even use a SE Z-Cut for my dinner if I'm not using one of the knives I'm testing. Preferences are completely acceptable but the reality is there just aren't many scenarios where SE can't work, and there are far more scenarios where they have significant advantages.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

My edc since 1994 has been a delica SE G-2 , use it for everything from splitting breast plates on deer and hogs , to cutting rope and feed bags, even carried it on my honeymoon to Mexico and
Used it to clean a marlin, and cut tuna steaks! They’re some handy knives those serrated edges!
Saved lots of boats offshore with fouled propellers , the spydie edge slices rope and trash like warm butter :spyder:
I also use the meadowlark as a young person’s 1st knife
Last edited by S-3 ranch on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:12 pm
For several years now I've carried some serrated Spyderco model as a companion blade to my main plain edged EDC. But when the occasion arises when I need a serrated blade nothing else seems to work very good. I never want to be without a Spyderedged blade anymore.
this was me for a couple years and still is to an extent, but if i only carry one blade now, i carry spyderedge. i prefer a sheepsfoot blade fully serrated, so my typical carry now is the caribbean. i still carry the pacific salt for workouts and swimming though.

i find the se is perfectly capable of all of my edc cutting and is preferred for any type of emergency cutting i might be faced with. if i need pe (i don't), there's enough of it at the tip of the blade that i can use carefully. if i need a pointy tip, i can just change my angle of attack.

the sheepsfoot caribbean checks most of the boxes for me. i still carry pe knives when they are designs i enjoy, but the se blade moved from backup/secondary to primary about a year ago.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am with Ladybug 93:

For me SE works better than PE in most cutting tasks I do, and I think not worse in any.

Then there is the bonus of much better "emergency cutting abilities" indeed. I think with a spyderedged blade one could even somehow rip through wire, where PE would be almost useless.

And with SE one gets better edge retention.

If I had the choice between the Endela serration pattern or PE in each knife I own, I don't think I'd have any PE model no more.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Gibbo58

Post by Gibbo58 »

I do a bit of Fishing and some Snorkeling.
I love my serrated Caribbean
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

I use SE for just about everything, although I also carry a plainedge blade (neck knife). Favorite is the Caribbean sheepsfoot, followed by the Para3LW. Most carried are the Pac Salt 2 and the Para3LW, since I wear lightweight cotton shorts around the house all summer and they're both light enough to just drop in my pocket.
AFG08

Post by AFG08 »

I’ve not carried a knife with serrated edge in years and then it was a cheap Gerber that wasn’t very effective. That kind of soured me on anything but a plain edge. Maybe I need to keep a more open mind and give one a try. Which would you recommend, a ltwt Para 3 or the Endela?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

skeeg11 wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:45 pm
Fish gills, sea weed kelp balls, fish bones, sinew, gristle, and cartilage on a regular basis.
Those are some interesting uses that I hadn't considered before. I would bet that commercial fisherman could find dozens of uses for Spyderedged blades.

The outdoor uses for Spyderedges could probably take an entire book to list all of them. It is awesome how easy a really sharp serrated blade can go through cartilage or anything fibrous would do much better than any plain edge.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:45 am
I use SE for just about everything, although I also carry a plainedge blade (neck knife). Favorite is the Caribbean sheepsfoot, followed by the Para3LW. Most carried are the Pac Salt 2 and the Para3LW, since I wear lightweight cotton shorts around the house all summer and they're both light enough to just drop in my pocket.
I'm getting to the point to where I might just join a few of you guys who have exclusively opted to use nothing but a Spyderedged blade. Plain edges do work great on a few jobs but they are truly handicapped in many other cutting jobs.

I'm to the point to where I'm only going to have serrated blades in my bug out bags.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:20 pm
dsvirsky wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:45 am
I'm getting to the point to where I might just join a few of you guys who have exclusively opted to use nothing but a Spyderedged blade. Plain edges do work great on a few jobs but they are truly handicapped in many other cutting jobs.

I'm to the point to where I'm only going to have serrated blades in my bug out bags.
interesting. in my bag, i usually carry a plain edge fixed blade. my thinking is that the knives in my bag should augment my edc. i carry a se folder in my pocket to handle my daily cutting. if i need to grab a bag and hide out in the woods for a bit, i'm going to want a fixed blade knife for bushcraft/survival applications. for a more harsh, urban survival scenario, (i.e. i need to hack and pry my way through a city) i keep an esee 5 in my glove compartment.

basically, i try to think of my knives in tiers the same way i would think of my other gear. i keep the serrated edge close in case of emergencies, just like i keep a flashlight or headlamp and lighter on me. my bag would be the next tier, where i keep items i need to accomplish different tasks and incorporate more specialized skills, but i don't necessarily have to have on me always. the vehicle has the next tier, which mostly consists of things that are too big and heavy to carry unless i absolutely need them.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

AFG08 wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:12 pm
....Which would you recommend, a ltwt Para 3 or the Endela?

If you ask me: Endela, no doubt!

I think SE is bought for performance and the thinner blade of the Endela (that also offers more length for tapering) should be a better performer just by that than the Para 3 blade.

Furthermore, the Endela SE imho comes already in the perfect, "mellow" serration pattern right from the factory (don't know about the Para 3 though in that regard).

As a model for me the Endela generally is a lot more versatile and slimmer in the pocket.

If you want an SE knife in Para length: I'd recommend the Salt 2 ffg SE (in LC200N) or the Delica wharnie SE. About 50% thinner blades than the Para 3 and amazing performers in SE! :)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My knife uses have changed a lot in the last 15 years. There was a time when I cut a lot of cardboard throughout the day at work. I could see a scenario where I cut enough cardboard to really start dulling serrations, and if they dulled to the point that they started to snag, that would be a situation where I'd choose a plain edge with a high wear resistance steel and preferably with a regrind like my Big Chris regrind Military, because that knife has such great edge/blade geometry and is so thin it will still cleanly slice cardboard even with a blunted edge that won't cut paper at all. I haven't reached this amount of use in my day to day, and I'm happy to touch up my serrations at the end of the day so until I run into that scenario, I have little need for plain edge.

Of course that's also well within the territory that you'd probably be better off with an actual box knife, but we're knife hobbyists for a reason right?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:48 pm
Of course that's also well within the territory that you'd probably be better off with an actual box knife, but we're knife hobbyists for a reason right?
i recently replaced my gerber prybrid blade with a serrated blade and it's even better than before. specifically, the gimmicky notch that companies like to include for cord cutting almost never work well for me. they require way too much pressure and don't cut well. now, my notch has a serration in it, which gives just enough movement to be exponentially more effective than the straight blade. i tested on cordage and zip ties. i was shocked by how much better it was. for normal cardboard cutting, i don't really notice as much of a difference because it's mostly push cutting.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find it so amazing how completely different of a cutting tool that a Hawkbill knife is in full SE. Having serrations on a Hawkbill blade makes a literal day & night difference. Serrations also work so well on all of those Reverse S blades. Curves and teeth really seem to go good together.

A Hawkbill blade with serrations is capable of dozens more jobs than a plain edged Hawkbill.
AFG08

Post by AFG08 »

I spent a lot of time yesterday reading and learning about the SE knives and decided it was time to try one.So this morning I ordered an Endela. Unfortunately for my bank account I didn’t stop there and included in the order a Spydie Chef that I had been thinking about for too long.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

AFG08 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:45 am
I spent a lot of time yesterday reading and learning about the SE knives and decided it was time to try one.So this morning I ordered an Endela....
Congrats! If the Endela SE blade won't make you like serrations, probably no knife will...;)
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

My main general purpose carry knives are the SE Native 5 Salt, SE Delica Wharncliffe and SE Lil Matriarch.

Native when I'm being more active and corrosion resistance is more important, Delica when a more discreet knife is needed (can't scare the city folk), and Lil Matriarch when I want something more aggressive but still compact.
-Turbo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:04 pm
My main general purpose carry knives are the SE Native 5 Salt, SE Delica Wharncliffe and SE Lil Matriarch.

Native when I'm being more active and corrosion resistance is more important, Delica when a more discreet knife is needed (can't scare the city folk), and Lil Matriarch when I want something more aggressive but still compact.
It is absolutely amazing at how aggressive of a cutter that full SE Native is. Especially for no more longer than the blade is.

I know that Lil Matriarch as well as the original Matriarch are two Reverse S blades that do really well with Reverse S blades.

Anything with a curve does well in fully serrated has been my experience.