Numbered Carbon Fiber Spyderco Civilian

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Numbered Carbon Fiber Spyderco Civilian

Post by Fireman »

Going through some of my old boxes, I finally found a few of my old Spyderco knives. A Dyad, a credit card knife and my other civilian that did not get lost to Poseidon. The Civilian is numbered 101V. I thought that was kind of strange. I know it is an early model being ATS 55. I bought it new and it was not cheap. I need to send it in to get the spring bar fixed. Hopefully they can fix that. Question is what is the value of a used, carried but the blade was never used (was a back up knife) civilian of this kind? Not sure what to do with it. I could just restore it and have a cool knife as a collectible or maybe carry it again. That all depends on its value. Sorry, it still has a bunch of tape residue on it. has been in storage for about 20 years.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Peter1960

Re: Numbered Carbon Fiber Spyderco Civilian

Post by Peter1960 »

I wonder how you store your knives ... :D
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 am
Well, this one, in a box wrapped up in tape completely disassembled waiting for me for two decades to send it in for repair. I hope to get it in working order again and cleaned up. I am unclear what the V stands for. Maybe when it’s restored it could be worth a few hundred and I could take that money and get a couple new ones that I will use in my rotation. The Spyderco Serrata, Province, Proficient and Caribbean are calling my name.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:38 am
Peter1960 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:56 am
Well, this one, in a box wrapped up in tape completely disassembled waiting for me for two decades to send it in for repair. I hope to get it in working order again and cleaned up. I am unclear what the V stands for. Maybe when it’s restored it could be worth a few hundred and I could take that money and get a couple new ones that I will use in my rotation. The Spyderco Serrata, Province, Proficient and Caribbean are calling my name.
I think the V means variant.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:34 am
I think the V means variant.

Exactly. The number is a Spyderco Collectors Club number. At the time the CF Civilian came out, there were 2 levels, "Main Only" and "All Variants". If more than one configuration was offered of a given model, then Spyderco designated one configuration as the "main" version and every CC member got one. All other configurations were considered "variants", and members who had signed up for "all variants" got those as well. The CF Civilian was offered in right hand serrated, right hand plain edge, left hand serrated, and left hand plain edge. As with most models at that time, the RH serrated version was the "main" piece and the others were "variants" and had the V added to the number.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Thanks for the info!
OK. Now, what should I do? Make it a collector piece or use it? Is it rare and valuable enough to be an object to admire or should it be put to work?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:08 am
Thanks for the info!
OK. Now, what should I do? Make it a collector piece or use it? Is it rare and valuable enough to be an object to admire or should it be put to work?

If the knife can be repaired, which is doubtful at best, that's going to be a hard call. Over the years I've heard several different figures for how many CF Civilians were made, with totals varying between 1200 and 1800, but all agree that fewer of the left hand versions were made than right handed ones, so it's a relatively rare variant of a relatively low production version of a relatively low production model. In perfect "like new" condition, with the appropriate zipper case and tags, it would probably be worth somewhere in the $400 to $500 range. But, as with most "collectible" Spydercos, condition and completeness have considerable impact on value.
Paul
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I was not thinking of collecting at the time and the boxes and pouches have been lost to the ages. You don’t think Spyderco can fix a spring bar?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:36 am
I was not thinking of collecting at the time and the boxes and pouches have been lost to the ages. You don’t think Spyderco can fix a spring bar?
Spyderco has never been big on maintaining a stock of repair parts for knives made outside the USA. Their normal practice is to replace, rather than repair, knives sent in for warranty issues. The CF Civilians were made about 20 years ago and, like most older models still in production, the G-10 version has undergone changes between then and now, reducing the likelihood of any "new" internal parts being interchangeable, even if available. If the issue is with the spring itself, a current one might work, assuming they have one, but if it's the lockbar, I doubt it.
Paul
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

It is a broken spring. I guess I should call before I ship to see if it is possible. Personal story of why I had this knife besides loving knives. I had this knife when I lived in LA as a last resort knife. As a larger guy with no chip on my shoulder I had no problems usually but the problems happened when there was a group of gang members or racist people and some kind of intoxication. I found the best way to avoid a fight was to stand up to the aggressor and stare him in the eye ready to fight and they backed down every time. Size, confidence and intensity worked every time, even when outnumbered. Running away is a great way to get your @$$ kicked and end up in the hospital. The only way to run away from a group I saw was to take one out with a knife so they would not give chase was my thought. Luckily I moved to a better place and got a car so gang run ins were lessened. When you live in the jungle, you become an animal. It took years of living in a good neighborhood to lessen the jungle mindset that threats are everywhere and to watch your back.