Hospital Survival Reward!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Hospital Survival Reward!

Post by Sharp Guy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:14 am
Did he have any side effects? I'm leery of getting it removed, because my grandfather did and he had to go to the bathroom IMMEDIATELY aftet eating anything.
My suggestion to you is get it done! You should've just had it done while you were there. It's not going to get better. I hoped mine would get better too with diet change and it did seem better for awhile. But one moment of weakness (a stupid hamburger) was all it took to blow it out. I have pictures of it the removed gallbladder. It's nasty!

It's an easy surgery. The only thing I have trouble eating now is ice-cream. You probably shouldn't be eating that with gallbladder issues anyway. I can still eat it but I get little cramps if I eat too much. Otherwise I'm much better off without the unhealthy gallbladder than I was with it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benben

Post by benben »

Hope you heal up quickly and get rid of those stones soon SDG! Couple of weeks ago I had myself a overnight hospital stay for diverticulitis, not your average belly pain, more like 10” butcher knife to the gut pain!

If you think you have a high tolerance for pain…..this will change your mind!

Was talking to a EMT the other day, he said when they show up at a house and see a middle aged adult laying curled up in the middle of their living room floor, it gets narrowed down pretty quickly to either stones (kidney or gallbladder), diverticulitis, or appendix. Which all suck!

Congratulations on the grail, beautiful!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This thread is from 2020, btw.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:06 am
:D

I need to learn to look harder at the post dates. Regardless, I think Sumdumguy owes us a follow up to let us know how he's doing
benben

Post by benben »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 am
JRinFL wrote:

I need to learn to look harder at the post dates. Regardless, I think Sumdumguy owes us a follow up to let us know how he's doing
Agreed, and me too, I was just following your lead! :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Haha, thanks for the concern guys.

I'll give a full report of the ordeal, recovery, recurring issues and a picture of the actual stone.
(I asked if I could pass it... ROTFL, NO!)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Zombie thread got me. Glad you’re doing OK.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:33 am
JRinFL wrote:

Okay, so...

I did end up getting the laparoscopic surgery, after initially declining. After going home and having another attack a few days later, the choice was made for me.

The surgery went fine, despite my being horribly rude to the doctors, supposedly. I honestly don't remember anything after the nurse shaved me and gave me the drugs. According to my wife, one of the doctor's last name was Gooch and I thought that was hilarious. He also offered to pray with me before the surgery and I belly laughed at him.

Fortunately, I was able to connect with him after the fact and appologize. I really felt bad about that...

Anyways! After I woke up, they brought in the stone(Apparently I had also demanded to see the stone, as proof they weren't scamming me. :rolleyes: ). When he showed it to me... well... a picture is worth a thousand words, right?

(That's my thumb for a size reference)

Yowza!

Post surgery was miserable. They said recovery would take between 2-3 weeks. No...
It was almost two weeks before I could get out of bed, down stairs or off the toilet, on my own. Thank goodness for the bidet, as I know I wouldn't have been able to get down there, either.

After the first month, I was able to start moving around without assistance, albeit slowly. After about two months, I was starting to move a little better. But, I was still unable to get on the ground or even bend over more than slightly. It would be another two or three months until I regained the ability to get down on my knees and back up.

Now, I had to face a new issue.

I was weak... ZERO core strength. I had never experienced anything like that in my life, I've always been ridiculously strong. Now, I was back to "normal" and I couldn't even lift a trailer gate. My arms and legs were fine. But, when it came time for my stomach muscles to join in, they weren't there.

Not even like they were struggling, they just didn't do anything. It was depressing. Infact, that was one of the biggest issues of the final stretch of recovery. Getting out of the funk I was in took a long time.

What finally did it, was I had to hire someone to come install the rest of the flooring in my house. After inspecting his work the first day and watching him part of the second, I offered some advice on how to properly install the flooring(he was putting it in backwards..) He didn't take it, so I fired him and started doing it myself, slowly.

That got me started and I slowly started working again. Light yard work, changing the cars oil, etc.

Now, a year post-op, I'm at 90%+. But, I still don't feel the same and likely never will.

Finally, let's discuss the elephant in the room. Recurring side effects. Namely, the inability to pass by a bathroom...

I swear, I eat something and it's not 15 minutes later that I'm blazing a trail to the nearest toilet. Some foods are not as quick to the gate. But, they are all racing to the finish.

Aside from that and the gruelling, depression inducing recovery; I think everything turned out alright.

If nothing else, it gave me a lot of time to think about the future; how I was tired of wasting my skills and wearing out my body, doing the work I did.

Life moves slower and I'm having more fun.

If you made it to the end, congratulations. You deserve a pat on the back. :p

As for me? I'm signing off.

Thanks again for the concern, everyone.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

My friend who had the same procedure had to radically change his diet to avoid the side effects of not having a gallbladder.

Glad to hear you are doing better!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Dang! Sounds like SDG's experience was radically different than mine. I was only supposed to be in Texas for a couple of weeks being before returning home to IL and I was worried about feeling well enough to fly. I was moving slow the first few days after surgery but went to see the surgeon for a follow up a few days later. He said to go ahead and fly as long as I was feeling up to it. So I did. At the time I lived alone in a 3 story townhouse and I was a little concerned about making it up and down the stairs. I don't remember having to sleep on the couch. So I guess I did it. I was expecting to have all these issues eating but I never really experienced that. I think I'm much better off now without the nasty gallbladder than I was with it.

Regardless of my experience I'm glad to hear SDG's doing better
kobold

Post by kobold »

All the best! They used ultrasound on my dad to break the stones up into smaller pieces, so they can 'evacuate'.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

kobold wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:08 pm
All the best! They used ultrasound on my dad to break the stones up into smaller pieces, so they can 'evacuate'.
Beats sending in a crew of tiny convicts with hammers to break it up. Ultrasound is a technology that feels to me like we’ve barely scratched the surface of.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've never heard of anyone who had those issues for that amount of time after that procedure. That is worrisome. Everyone I know has done fine, some are back to normal in a few days, and some a couple of weeks.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Get well soon! Beautiful knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PiterM

Post by PiterM »

That Horn is hotttttt