Spydiechef

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Quetzalcoatl

Spydiechef

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Hello! I'm a new member on here and a growing fan of Spyderco folding knives. I'm sorry if this topic has been done to death, but i'm wondering if the late lock up is par for the course on the Spydiechef? Mine is a CQI model, and when I checked the lock, there was considerable lock stick and a late lock up equivalent to 80%. Did I receive a lemon? I'm a bit concerned about whether I should send this back to BHQ or not. Thanks in advance! I've had a good time reading everyone's post and seeing some great knives.
Always interested in learning.
kobold

Re: Spydiechef

Post by kobold »

Maybe. My CQI is at 65-70%. The lock stick is not too bad (I prefer some lock stick).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Mine locks up nicely at about 50-60%.

Little bit of lock stick, but still functions fine.

Edit - CQI as well
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
eventhorizon

Post by eventhorizon »

Mine (QCI 1) is at 80% and has lock stick... came that way from the factory.
Both the late lock up and the lock stick do bug me, too, but I finally kept it because I love the design.

I've owned and handled at least three other Spydiechefs, one had bad lock stick (returned it), the others were like the one I own now.
notorious fidgeteer
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Thanks guys
Always interested in learning.
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Mine has some lock stick, mild in my opinion. I wouldn’t part with it. A favorite of mine.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Mine is the model just before they introduced the black hardwear. It had some lock stick, but that disappeared over the last year. Lockup stabilised at 75%.

One of my favourites!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi