Outdoor Spyderco - what would you pick?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Re: Outdoor Spyderco - what would you pick?

Post by skeeg11 »

In addition to a Spydie, on some outdoor excursions I'll also carry a light duty 2.3 oz. slippie fruit knife with a 4 3/4" blade. Does a real nice job of evenly spreading mayo & mustard on my sammiches. Doesn't matter to most, but I'm a bit OCD about such things. :p
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Matus wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:11 pm
@Cambertree - those custom 3D shaped scales look sweet - who made them?. I need to get my hands on a Stretch to test it. It would in particular be interesting to compare it side-by-side to the Lawman :)

Yes, handle on the Chief (and I mean chief not the Spydiechef) is well shaped for work, the knife would however not be particularly optimal for a general outdoor use IMO.
Thanks Matus. :)

Those scales were made by Suingab. The Stretch is a near perfect design for me, but the contoured micarta scales make it even more comfortable.

It would definitely be interesting to compare the Stretch with your incoming Cold Steel Lawman.

Another knife I wouldn’t hesitate to put in my pocket for camp and outdoor tasks is my CE 52100 PM2. ;)

Wartstein - I still haven’t actually tried out a Stretch 2 yet - I’m hoping we get a drop point K390 version!
Matus

Post by Matus »

I guess I owe you guys a little update ...

The reground American Lawman was out on a few family hikes (take the word "hiking" with a grain of salt, our younger one wis only about turn 4, so it't not like we are going to some crazy places, though she is a brave little girl). It does sit well in hand in a hammer grip or choking up - I am actually surprised given how thin (albeit tall) the handle is. CS did a good job here. Though that are things that are not quite to my linking - as super safe as the triad lock is, it is very hard to close the knife one handed as the lock needs a lot of travel to disengage (about twice as much as my Native Chief) - what is achieved by putting the lock pivot close to where you depress the lock - what means it takes a lot of pressure to do so. Also - grip with blade towards oneself is pretty much only possible in a chocked-back grip. So while the knife is really a good one the story does not end here.

Now back to Spyderco. I had a chance to get my hands on the Schempp Bowie - man is that a special knife. I would not call it a hard use knife, but it actually allows for a multitude of very useful grips and only seeing it in person one is able to appreciate the craftsmanship - it is even better/cleaner finished than the Gayle Bradley 1 (!)

After mulling over my choices for a very long time, I have narrowed it down to Schempp Bowie and Caribbean leaf shape. I just wish I could get my hands on the Caribbean before committing to one of the two. Both have a lot to go for them, they cost about the same, but are two totally different knives. And no, I really can't get both :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Matus

Post by Matus »

Short update - my leaf Caribbean just arrived. That concludes my search for a perfect outdoor folding knife. The knife is absolutely fantastic.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:34 am
Short update - my leaf Caribbean just arrived. That concludes my search for a perfect outdoor folding knife. The knife is absolutely fantastic.
i'm sitting at my desk flipping my caribbean open and closed while i was reading this. great choice! i have been thinking about getting a pe leaf shape to compliment my se sheepsfoot for a while, but i think i'm going to wait and see how the s35vn resilience does first. that would be another one to consider for your outdoor folder, but definitely enjoy your caribbean in the meantime. it's such a great knife.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Matus wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:34 am
Very nice 💪