Para 3 for large hands?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bourget117

Para 3 for large hands?

Post by Bourget117 »

It’s been almost 3 years since I picked up my first Spyderco. It’s a Efficient. It’s a really well made knife for the money but now I’m thinking of upgrading. Thinking of a para 3. I have large hands and the efficient is now a little small for me. Would the 3 work or would I be more happy with a para 2? I was always avoiding a para 2 because I was afraid it may be too big for edc.
VooDooChild

Re: Para 3 for large hands?

Post by VooDooChild »

You will have to use the choil grip on the para 3 to get a full grip.

Im a pm2 fan so I suggest that.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

I would go with the Para 2. My wife also prefers it over the Para 3 and she has small hands. To be fair, I usually carry larger knives such as the Military so that’s just what I’m used to. I also live and work where I am not restricted to a certain blade size so I tend to always carry a larger knife. Besides comfort in-hand, your decision might also depend on what your edc tasks are. Even though it’s smaller, a Para 3 can handle most tasks very well and as some people will point out, it might be better for a public setting because it isn’t an “intimidating” knife. That usually isn’t a concern for me, but again, I don’t live or work where larger knives are an issue so I typically take advantage of having the extra real estate on a larger blade.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

If the Effecient is a bit small for you, then the Para 3 with the taller thumb ramp and bird's beak at the tail of the handle will likely be an even more cramped fit. The Sage series with the lower thumb ramp and slightly longer handle tail fits my thick fingered hands better than the Para 3. You might even need to step up to a PM2, Manix, or Shaman. If you're open to a back lock, the Stretch 2 and Endela are also good options to consider.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Thought the PM2 was too big for EDC for a while until I got one. Now it’s a never a issue.
The thought will pass once you have one for a while.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
vivi

Post by vivi »

XL-XXL hands here. I find the Military feels perfect, Para 2 feels a little bit small, and the 3 feels very small.

I prefer knives where I can comfortably use them with my index finger in the choil orbehind the choil, and the 3 is too small for that. If you don't mind always using the index choil you may have a more positive outlook on the design than me.
:unicorn
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I wear XL gloves for the most part, and find the Para 3 small, but not cramped. Same for the Native 5. My ideal EDC size is 3.5", so the Stretch and the PM2 win out a lot of the time. The Para 3, especially the Para 3 LW, is nice when I want something that takes up less space in the pocket. Though the handle is small, the choil really helps you control the knife. I agree with Vivi though, if you don't use the choil the handle would be cramped.

I will say that the G-10 Para 3 is a less compelling platform than the Para 3 LW - it takes up a lot of space in the pocket for the amount of cutting edge you actually get.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
aquaseafoamshaman

Post by aquaseafoamshaman »

https://cutleryshoppe.com/cerberus-spyd ... rk3-pj-ot/
The Worker3 scale swap is a quality option for a bigger grip on the Para 3.
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I tend to need XL gloves (usually can’t wear large at all), and love the para 3.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

L to XL hands, tried the Para 3 and the grip srea is too short behind the choil so I'd always have to choke up.
This is a bit annoying, since the handle actually would be long enough, but the "hook" at the handle end shortens the grip area. This "hook" works well on PM2 and Milie, but not so on the Para 3. Seems a bit like they just wanted to make the Para 3 look like a baby PM2 as much as possible, but transferred features to it that just don't really fit a small folder.

For a small comp.lock knife I'd clearly prefer and recommend a Sage 5 (LW) over the Para 3. The Sage for me is perfectly well designed as a small folder from scratch - grip area behind as long as possible (no "hook", but flat at the end), blade stock really sturdy but not unnecessarily thick (the fat 3.7mm of the Para 3 have always puzzled me, especially in combination with the rather fine tip).

That being said: Despite I personally just don't really understand the Para 3, many who know more about folders than me love it, some of them obviously having larger hands... so I guess you'd just have to try for yourself... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Added to my post above:

If you can legally carry it, I see no reason why the PM2 should be too big for EDC - for me it is rather on the smaller end, and the longer blade has only pros and no cons imho.
You could also look into Manix, Stretch, Endela and Rockjumper in that size range.

If you wanr a really short footprint, but a lot of cutting edge: I enjoy my S35VN Tenacious a lot. In my use a better knife than the PM2.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I probably should have specified that I always use the choil, but that’s my preference on any knife - I prefer my hand close to the cutting edge for the best control.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aaronkb wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 10:58 pm
I probably should have specified that I always use the choil, but that’s my preference on any knife - I prefer my hand close to the cutting edge for the best control.

I guess if one really always wants to use the choil (which is fine!) the Para 3 must be a comfy, very locked-in-the-hand feeling knife!

I still (and this is just an respectful question!) don't really understand why they did not go the Endura/Delica way with PM2/Para 3 and gave the smaller model thinner bladestock - in fact effectively on the Para 3 it is overall even "thicker" than on the PM2, since there is less bladelength for tapering.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 11:21 pm
aaronkb wrote:

I guess if one really always wants to use the choil (which is fine!) the Para 3 must be a comfy, very locked-in-the-hand feeling knife!

I still (and this is just an respectful question!) don't really understand why they did not go the Endura/Delica way with PM2/Para 3 and gave the smaller model thinner bladestock - in fact effectively on the Para 3 it is overall even "thicker" than on the PM2, since there is less bladelength for tapering.
Completely agree with you about the stock thickness. For me, 3.7mm is ok on a knife the size of the military, pretty thick for the pm2 and bordering on ridiculous for a knife as small as the para 3.

I'm glad Spyderco provides beefy blades for those who prefer them, and I'm not lobbying to change excusing models. I just wish we could get more options with <3mm blade thickness. The ukpk is the only golden model under 3.2mm and it is a great slicer. I'd love to see more like that.

To original poster: You're probably safe with the para 3 as long as you're okay always using the choil. Coming from the efficient, you aren't going to get much extra usable grip space due to the shape of the handle. I'd recommend trying the pm2 if you're looking for a more spacious handle. If you have a local dealer, I highly recommend trying out the different options in person. Not every knife works for every hand. You may end up liking the sage, native 5 or manix2 better than either para.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

As a sort of tangential observation, I find the choked-up grip using the choil on the Para 3 to be very, very comfortable, and totally makes the knife work.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
aaronkb wrote:

Completely agree with you about the stock thickness. For me, 3.7mm is ok on a knife the size of the military, pretty thick for the pm2 and bordering on ridiculous for a knife as small as the para 3.

I'm glad Spyderco provides beefy blades for those who prefer them, and I'm not lobbying to change excusing models. I just wish we could get more options with <3mm blade thickness. The ukpk is the only golden model under 3.2mm and it is a great slicer. I'd love to see more like that.

I certainly don´t want models that many obviously love to be changed!! And I´ve said it in my previous post: There must be a reason that many who know more about folders than I do love the Para 3, despite I don´t really get it!

I just don´t see any practical advantage of that overly beefy blade in the Para 3 design. Well, perhaps one: It is more comfortable to put the finger on the spine than on thinner blades (technically it will provide a stronger lockup too due to more lock interface, but this is of no practical relevance imho).
For one 3.00mm or even 2.50 or 2.00 mm blades (as opposed to the 3.7 mm of the Para 3) have proven to be more than strong enough.
And then in almost all scenarios where one could try and make use of that fat "strong" stock in extrem NON folder artifical tests: The rather fine tip of the Para 3 would snap long before the thick blade would come into play. So the "worst of both worlds" imho: IF one decides to make a thick bladed, super hard use folder in the first place, give it a stout tip too. Otherwise give it a good foundation for superior slicing: And thin stock is one of several.

As said: The Para 3 is really cool, but for me it remained just to close to the PM2 in some features - which are nice for the looks perhaps, but practically speaking suited for a mid sized, but not small folder. Just my 2 c of course. And not meant as "bashing", but just interesting for me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JonLeBlanc wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:35 am
As a sort of tangential observation, I find the choked-up grip using the choil on the Para 3 to be very, very comfortable, and totally makes the knife work.

This was certainly true for me too when I could try the Para 3! So if one likes to always hold their knives choked up anyway, the Para 3 is a good choice comfort-wise imho.
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

I should posted this pic in my original post to show what a similar length knife looks like in my hand. If the para 3 is gonna look like what I already have then it’s probably gonna be too small.
Attachments
EC0CE101-0CB2-49D8-8620-714BEC64E19D.jpeg
6738D4CF-9F8B-4263-AAA6-8A9BF2CDEDDE.jpeg
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Just to add to what has already been said, the PM2 would probably work well for you; very ergonomic, and probably the single most capable model for all types of users that Spyderco makes. Then again, I hear the Manix is even more ergo.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Bourget117

Post by Bourget117 »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:24 am
Wartstein wrote:
aaronkb wrote:

To original poster: You're probably safe with the para 3 as long as you're okay always using the choil. Coming from the efficient, you aren't going to get much extra usable grip space due to the shape of the handle. I'd recommend trying the pm2 if you're looking for a more spacious handle. If you have a local dealer, I highly recommend trying out the different options in person. Not every knife works for every hand. You may end up liking the sage, native 5 or manix2 better than either para.
I have no choice but to always use the choil on my Efficient. As you can see in the pics I posted above. I didn’t realize this when I purchased it. The other thing that has bugged me over time of owning it is that the liners are sharp and dig into my hand along with the cut out for the liner lock.