Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: Spyderco UTILITY Knife...

Post by VashHash »

u.w. wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:08 am

Yes! The Stanley 10-049 is one of my favorites. Though it seems not many are familiar with it. Locking, full blade edge length, replaceable... I find myself using it for a myriad of things. I've sharpened, or re-sharpened, mine numerous times.

u.w.
I found out about the Stanley by finding one years ago on a job. It's the utility knife I measure other utility knives by. It's not the most intuitive locking mechanism but it works very well. I used to keep it in my car but I don't know where mine is currently. It definitely fixes the short comings of a lot of utility knives on the market. It can actually be used as a knife.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am seeing a lot of people say that is needs to be competitive on price. I don't see this as something Spyderco is going to churn out millions of and try to put it next to Milwaukees and Stanelys at Home Depot. This would likely be something sold to existing Spyderco customers or other high end knife buyers at Knife Dealers along the lines of the Squarehead and Dog Tag folders. No need to try to compete with the cheap stuff. Make a high end one and people will buy it.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

MSG wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:37 pm
I would be the first in line to buy several of these. I brought up this topic not to long ago and it didn't seem like there was much interest. I'm a contractor and I use a utility knife dozens of times a day and would love a Spyderco version. I like to use my Spydies as much as I can but if I'm scoring aluminum while using a metal brake or cutting caulking off of brick around windows etc., I'm always going to be using something with a replaceable blade. I hope that Sal hears the working mans call for a Spyderco utility knife!
Would be pretty cool, just dont think it would knock my milwaukee fastback out of my pocket.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Actually, it was the (IMO) poor performance of the Milwaukee Fastbacks I own, that made me wish for a well-designed, upscale Ute that was designed by people who understand knives and ergos!

No disrespect to Milwaukee, I have oodles of their tools and like them, but on my FastBacks, I don't understand:
* Why I should have to press a button to UNlock the blade?
* Why I can't have a hole or at least a regular thumbstud to open one-handed, instead of doing the gravity-and-flip dance? A fingernail slot for opening, in the 21st century? That little blade release tab doesn't work as an opener for me, and why would I want to touch the blade release tab upon opening, anyway?
* Why there's no closing bias, the blade holder just swings free?
* Why I have to deal with blade rattle?
* Why I can't have an index finger choil near the blade?
* If I choke up, my finger goes into the "wire stripping slot"? (My skin actually touches the blade edge there!)
* Why I need a speedboat-length handle to include a line cutter notch (that doesn't feel good in the palm)?
* Why I can't have nice grippy G-10 scales?
* Why can't I buy a made-in-USA Milwaukee ute?

I use Milwaukees, and they work, but it feels like it was designed by a committee of people who usually design electric drills and chainsaws and jackhammers.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

A number of people "get" it. It doesn't have to displace all the cheap Utes out there, or frankly any of them. It only has to sell a limited number to a bunch of knife nerds that enjoy cool gear. People who like cool, quality, unique, whatever will pick one up. Is the Pheonix going to displace all the Buck 110s out there? Of course not.

Ironically, if they place it in the Byrd line some people won't buy it because it isn't expensive enough, and it will get compared to all the already mentioned cheaper options.

Heck there are $200 (+) dollar utility knives out there. Like I said, check out the Chavez Chubb. And there are people who sell Damascus utility blades, don't believe me... google is your friend. Lots of options out there and lots of niche markets.

And they can Spydie it. Make it unique and special with a strong LCF. And (I might have already mentioned this) I would really like to see that solution with the great main blade and a cool holder for some sort of replaceable blades.

I have a rather modest collection of about 20 Spydies. But there is room for a Spydie Ute.

Cheers
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Cold Steel makes something called a Click N Cut which is sort of a utility knife crossed with those knives with three swappable blades. So I guess there is a broader market than I would have guessed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Page 4 of this thread. I'm amazed at the legs this thread has.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

If your a roofer or just a general construction worker the $5 or $10 cheap knives with disposable blades is what you want.

You lose it, break it, whatever, You go get another one cheap. I have at least 10 in my garage tool boxes, bags.

If you feel the need to spend $50 or more on an elite version to break down your cardboard boxes for recycling, open your mail, more power to you.

Here are two, a standard Stanley and a Dewalt folder that features a one hand opener, liner lock, and blade storage .

SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:22 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:16 am
Only a select few would buy because Spyderco put a name on it.
These knives are abused and abused, lost and dont care what happens to them

(1) Might be an accurate guess, but also might not be; we don't know until market research is performed. Elite knife afi's aren't the whole target here. Plus, it would be more than the Spyderco name that sells the product, a SpyderUte would in all likelihood be a superior product, made by people who know ergonomics, steels, lock mechanisms, materials, etc. I'm not expecting a Spyderco Ute to be run-of-the-mill. I've noticed contractors often splurge for upscale tools, they are status-seekers like the rest of us; many of them are proud of their tools.

(2) "Abused, lost and don't care" means they're now in the market for another, doesn't it. Worse things could happen to a manufacturer! Ironically, one of Spyderco's great strengths (quality) also limits demand. My 2005 Caly 3 is still going strong, doesn't need a replacement...in that time I've gone through a half dozen utes and hundreds of blades. Why should I be giving my money to Milwaukee, when I don't even like their Utes and consider them crude and unrefined? I'd like the option to spend my money with Spyderco...

...and it would be easy to out-design the current crop of Utes on the marketplace. So much room for improvement!
Above post was for you
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm
Above post was for you

Thanks, Grill. Although, I'll take my Grandfather's Stanley if it comes to that...yeah, it's still in regular use...

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm
If you feel the need to spend $50 or more on an elite version to break down your cardboard boxes for recycling, open your mail, more power to you.

Can we not make the same case for any knife?

If you feel the need to upgrade from your gas station knife to a PM2 "to break down your cardboard boxes for recycling, open your mail, more power to you."

Surely you understand the desire for a quality knife, being that you're posting on a knife forum. Utility knives ARE knives and they see alot of use. People who spend much of their day using one may want a higher quality one. There are plenty of people on the forums who use their expensive knives in warehouses and on construction sites all day and find a way to not lose or break them, a utility knife is no different.

As Bolster posted above, his grandfather's Stanley is still in use after many years. Utility knives don't have to be considered cheap, disposable tools. They could be high quality, long lasting tools.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a Spyderco quality utility knife.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Above post was for you

Thanks, Grill. Although, I'll take my Grandfather's Stanley if it comes to that...yeah, it's still in regular use...

That's a nice old Stanley!

I'm all for a Spyderco utility knife (as i've expressed in at least one earlier thread). I probably prefer a slider over folder if they can secure the replaceable blades well.

I am a carpenter and a lot of my work cutting tasks quickly destroy tips and edges. I use replaceable blades for the majority of work cuts. My pocket knives are for only some tasks. I also carry a Mora classic in my tool bags and use that as much or more than my Spydie folders at work.

Regardless, i know Spyderco will keep making awesome knives for us.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:39 pm
SpyderGrill wrote:
Above post was for you

Nice but its not retractable,,, hard to carry in a pants pocket
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:34 am
SpyderGrill wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm

Can we not make the same case for any knife?

If you feel the need to upgrade from your gas station knife to a PM2 "to break down your cardboard boxes for recycling, open your mail, more power to you."

Surely you understand the desire for a quality knife, being that you're posting on a knife forum. Utility knives ARE knives and they see alot of use. People who spend much of their day using one may want a higher quality one. There are plenty of people on the forums who use their expensive knives in warehouses and on construction sites all day and find a way to not lose or break them, a utility knife is no different.

As Bolster posted above, his grandfather's Stanley is still in use after many years. Utility knives don't have to be considered cheap, disposable tools. They could be high quality, long lasting tools.

I don't think it's unreasonable to want a Spyderco quality utility knife.
People complained about the cost of the Tenacious 8cr at $50, how can an exspensive throw away razor blade knife compete?
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:35 pm
People complained about the cost of the Tenacious 8cr at $50, how can an exspensive throw away razor blade knife compete?

There will always be people who complain about knives made in China, regardless of cost or materials used. Even that being the case, are you saying that the Tenacious is unsuccessful? Pretty sure it's been a great seller for Spyderco.

This currently fictional higher quality utility knife does not have to be made in China nor does it need to compete with the existing utility knives at the hardware store. I would hope it would be designed for people who want a typical Spyderco quality knife that takes replaceable blades and lasts a lifetime, just like any other Spyderco knife -- a utility knife designed for "knife enthusiasts".

There is a market for it. Knife companies would absolutely make profit. You may not see the value in one, but there are many that do. I hope the people at Spyderco will someday give this idea a chance and not be discouraged by the negative opinions.

For several years, I worked jobs where I used a utility knife with replaceable blades. It was the best tool for the job, but the cheap, poor quality knives available made me wish for something better. The Spectrum Energetics Utilizer would have been a huge upgrade, but it did not exist when I worked those jobs. It's on my radar now, but I'd be more interested in a Spyderco design.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

When a bit dulls in my impact driver, I change the bit. I don't consider my impact driver "throw away," and toss it.

I don't understand the narrative of "throw-away" that's been created here. I've worked with contractors for 15 years, and in that time they've left all manner of stuff at my worksites...mostly shovels, hammers, brooms, loads of hardware...never once have I found a utility knife left behind. I've seen contractors trade ute knives, I've seen them argue about the superiority of the utes they own and how they're better than the next guy's, I've been given them as gifts by contractors, I have given utes as gifts. I don't consider them any more disposable than my Felo screwdrivers, PB Swiss chisels, or Knipex pliers.

For the record, I've never bought a Tenacious; I'm not the target market for an inexpensive import knife, but it has been a success for the company. When it came out, people complained about it being down-scale and talked about how it would cheapen the brand (as people are doing in this thread). What it did was bring a whole new population of customers to Spyderco that weren't in the $100+ aficionado category.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

As was pointed out, for marketing purposes it could not be called the Spyderco Utility Knife. But I'll propose a better name: the Spyerco Utility Cutting Knife, Multiple Edges.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Missed this thread for the last few days as been busy with work.

Please No. I carry a knife so I don’t have to use a Stanley knife type.
(And it goes against my creating waste and trying to stop consumables ethos)

I actually have disbelief and annoyance every time I find one of these blades on the street or like the last one I noticed on the floor in a supermarket where a kid could have picked it up.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:36 am
Missed this thread for the last few days as been busy with work.

Please No. I carry a knife so I don’t have to use a Stanley knife type.
(And it goes against my creating waste and trying to stop consumables ethos)

I actually have disbelief and annoyance every time I find one of these blades on the street or like the last one I noticed on the floor in a supermarket where a kid could have picked it up.

Maybe not everyone has had the need for this type of knife and they just don't understand. There are certain situations and jobs that require certain material to be cut against hard surfaces like concrete. Have you ever installed carpet? This absolutely destroys knife edges and is one reason why replaceable blade utility knives exist. While on the job, you don't have time to sharpen/reprofile your PM2 every five minutes.

I used to install seamless aluminum rain gutters and used a utility knife many times a day cutting aluminum and roof shingles. I also used to repair concrete and asphalt roads and would use a utility knife to cut the expansion joint, most of the time against concrete. These are just a couple examples.

There are people who use/need these knives all day, not because they're lazy and don't know how to sharpen a knife, but because it is the best tool for the job.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Utility knives have their place, I put them in the irreplaceable tool. I have multiple stanley's with straight blade and hook blades in the handle. I have had the folding ones, quick change ones and now the cheap stanley retractable blades. Actually my $5 Stanley's are now 10-20 years old and still functioning.

Pocket knifes work for small jobs, but when I know I am going to be cutting out comes the old box cutter.

I would buy a Spyderco box cutter, even if it came from overseas. I find ergonomics of the brand to be worth a premium.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021