H1 Serrated vs LC200N Serrated

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SaltSerious

H1 Serrated vs LC200N Serrated

Post by SaltSerious »

Wanted to hear from the community with real world comparisons between the two steels in particular the serrated versions of each steel. Like others, I enjoy the H1 SE and want to hear how they stack up against each other. At this time I don't have LC200N in SE only PE in the Caribbean.
ladybug93

Re: H1 Serrated vs LC200N Serrated

Post by ladybug93 »

i don’t have any se lc200n, but from what i gather, the biggest difference is not in the edge retention, but rather the different grinds. lc200n has serrations cut into a full flat grind instead of a hollow grind, making them slicier. that’s the technical term. i don’t care what my autocorrect says.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I love my H1 SE knives, but I do need to get some LC200N SE to compare. Hopefully the new LC200N Pacific Salts come in both PE and SE flavors for a true apples to apples comparison to my H1 SE Pac Salt. I'd like to eventually get a Native Salt SE as well, but I have so many more ahead of that one at this point. :rolleyes:
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:07 pm
I love my H1 SE knives, but I do need to get some LC200N SE to compare. Hopefully the new LC200N Pacific Salts come in both PE and SE flavors for a true apples to apples comparison to my H1 SE Pac Salt. I'd like to eventually get a Native Salt SE as well, but I have so many more ahead of that one at this point. :rolleyes:
not to derail, but i keep hearing about an lc200n pacific salt, but when is the last time spyderco even hinted at it being in the works? it was quite a while ago and i haven't heard any more about it, except from people like you that are still looking forward to one. do you actually know it's coming or in the works? are we sure spyderco didn't scrap it after the trial? i mean, i think the last time it was mentioned by sal was a while before the caribbean release.

i love my pacific salt and i don't care for the look of the caribbean, but i'd probably buy a se sheepsfoot caribbean to replace my pacific salt if i lost it at this point.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't have much to say about long term edge retention yet, and I may never because I'm so OCD about keeping them sharp. But, I can say I think LC keeps that peak sharpness feeling longer than H1. Whether that also translates into longer working edge I can't say. I've been very surprised at how sharp my edges have been after cutting things that I expected would dull the edge.

Aside from all that I'm still on the fence about toughness, but the main advantage so far does seem to be that LC can be ground into FFG. At the very least I don't think LC has any shortcomings that overshadow how much you gain in slicing efficiency.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SaltSerious

Post by SaltSerious »

ladybug93 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:30 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
not to derail, but i keep hearing about an lc200n pacific salt, but when is the last time spyderco even hinted at it being in the works? it was quite a while ago and i haven't heard any more about it, except from people like you that are still looking forward to one. do you actually know it's coming or in the works? are we sure spyderco didn't scrap it after the trial? i mean, i think the last time it was mentioned by sal was a while before the caribbean release.

i love my pacific salt and i don't care for the look of the caribbean, but i'd probably buy a se sheepsfoot caribbean to replace my pacific salt if i lost it at this point.
Seems like to me a new LC200N Pacific Salt would come in around $140 considering the Native Salt is $120. That would only be $30 from the Caribbean which obviously has g-10 and a compression lock. Which makes me wonder if it makes financial sense for Spyderco. What say you?
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

It's been a long time since there was any mention of it, but Sal hasn't said anything about it being cancelled.

Been a while since Military 2 news for that matter.
:unicorn
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

SaltSerious wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 7:08 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:

Seems like to me a new LC200N Pacific Salt would come in around $140 considering the Native Salt is $120. That would only be $30 from the Caribbean which obviously has g-10 and a compression lock. Which makes me wonder if it makes financial sense for Spyderco. What say you?
that's kind of what i was thinking. i just keep seeing a few members bringing it up fairly consistently. i think the last time sal talked about it was over a year ago. in my mind, the caribbean seems to be the lc200n answer to the pacific salt. you can even choose if you want a sheepsfoot or a pointed edge instead of having something in the middle that isn't as good at being either. personally, i prefer the in-between of the pacific salt tip, but realistically, a stronger sheepsfoot would be a better choice for marine environments. i also prefer the compression lock, but i really want to hear from someone that has been tossed around in the waves with one and got it all full of sand and fish guts to find out how it performs.
Evil D wrote: I don't have much to say about long term edge retention yet, and I may never because I'm so OCD about keeping them sharp. But, I can say I think LC keeps that peak sharpness feeling longer than H1. Whether that also translates into longer working edge I can't say. I've been very surprised at how sharp my edges have been after cutting things that I expected would dull the edge.

Aside from all that I'm still on the fence about toughness, but the main advantage so far does seem to be that LC can be ground into FFG. At the very least I don't think LC has any shortcomings that overshadow how much you gain in slicing efficiency.
any opinion on the operation of the comp lock when it's got sand and guts in it? you've all but sold me on the caribbean with your thread, but i just keep hoping i'll hear about a caribbean 2 that has a different handle shape.

back on topic... i have a se pacific salt and a pe native salt. i like them both. i love a knife i don't have to worry about ever. from my experience, both steels hold an acceptable edge and touch up very easily. i'd rather have either of them than a carbon tool steel that will rust or a stainless steel with forever edge retention. i also don't know how they compare in toughness, but it's not something i've ever felt i needed to worry about with either. they're my favorite steels, but i'd give the edge to lc200n because i think it's a better all-around edc steel.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

SaltSerious wrote:

Totally different knives though. Pac Salt is FRN, lightweight, long, narrow, backlock, Japanese, etc. I think it will be a big seller at any price. Doubt it would come in at $140 though. I'd guess $110 or less.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 8:01 pm
SaltSerious wrote:

Totally different knives though. Pac Salt is FRN, lightweight, long, narrow, backlock, Japanese, etc. I think it will be a big seller at any price. Doubt it would come in at $140 though. I'd guess $110 or less.
Yep. Totally different knives.
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I recall that the Japanese makers strongly prefer to use Japanese steels. Making the Pacific Salt in Japan with non-Japanese steel might be more a cultural challenge than anything else. I agree that the performance jump in FFG over HSG will make it impossible to directly compare the two alloys.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I find this conversation interesting for about 4 different reasons. But my biggest gripe about the two nitrogen based steels that Spyderco has blessed us with should be put to the ultimate test IMO.

First off you got the TUSK model>> Why on GOD's Blue Planet would they not make the LC200N TUSK model in Spyeredge>> especially when it was designed for marine and fishing type jobs. Because I would bet that 95% of all your Hawkbills and other blades mainly designed to be sold to the fishing/marine industries are SE. So wouldn't make sense to add the TUSK model to the SE lineup???

I would go out of my way to obtain a TUSK model in SE and I bet I'm not alone. Also with H-1 having proved itself to be one of the upper tier steels for using in Spyderedged blades I think more SE models should be done in H-1 and LC200N both. Not trying to sound ungrateful or annoying but the common sense of it doesn't register for me. Also consider some of the REVERSE S blades like the CIVILIAN and MATRIARCH in one of the Nitrogen based steels>> at least for the Spyderedged units anyway :confused:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Also consider some of the REVERSE S blades like the CIVILIAN and MATRIARCH in one of the Nitrogen based steels>> at least for the Spyderedged units anyway :confused:
i've been saying for over a year that the matriarch should be a salt model. it's designed for self-defense, so a maintenance free blade steel is a no-brainer. furthermore, people usually mention being worried about the tip breaking on these knives, but h1 has proven it's toughness is superior to most other steels being used by spyderco. also a no-brainer. if there was a waved and blacked out matriarch in se h1, i would have it in my waistband as fast as spyderco could ship it.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Today was mulch day, so the Caribbean was put to some hard-ish use. I did find that cutting open bags of mulch isn't the best job for serrations, as they catch everything in the bag. Still though, this edge will still cut phone book paper with ease. That's the difference between H1...H1 will continue cutting and keep a working edge, but it loosing the peak sharpness faster.

~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 5:02 pm
Today was mulch day, so the Caribbean was put to some hard-ish use. I did find that cutting open bags of mulch isn't the best job for serrations, as they catch everything in the bag. Still though, this edge will still cut phone book paper with ease. That's the difference between H1...H1 will continue cutting and keep a working edge, but it loosing the peak sharpness faster.

I am right now trying to decide whether to get the leaf serrated or leaf plain. I've been tremendously impressed with the Caribbean ever since I first handled one last year at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks. Just a very fine knife imo.
So, plain or serrated?
I will say a deciding factor will be possible self defense.
I say that because we are going on a cruise on a few weeks and the wife wanted me to bring a knife for protection just in case.
They allow up to a 4" blade.
Now, I have quite a few knives that I could take,.but what a great excuse to get a new Spydie! And, since were going on a cruise out in the Salt water, what a great time to get a Caribbean.
Any suggestions?
At first I really wanted the serrated, but now I'm really leaning towards plain.
Lol, doesn't really matter I reckon. Plain should be fine.
But, serrated should too :D
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 2:23 pm
Evil D wrote:

I am right now trying to decide whether to get the leaf serrated or leaf plain. I've been tremendously impressed with the Caribbean ever since I first handled one last year at Smokey Mountain Knifeworks. Just a very fine knife imo.
So, plain or serrated?
I say that because we are going on a cruise on a few weeks and the wife wanted me to bring a knife for protection just in case.
Now, I have quite a few knives that I could take,.but what a great excuse to get a new Spydie! And, since were going on a cruise out in the Salt water, what a great time to get a Caribbean.
Any suggestions?
At first I really wanted the serrated, but now I'm really leaning towards plain.
if you are planning on using it in the water, i would suggest serrations. in my opinion, serrations make the most sense in a marine environment because anything you need to cut will likely need to be cut in a hurry and will be some kind of line (i.e. fishing net, fishing line, rope, kelp, etc.). if you are tangled in anything under water, you'll want all the serrations you can get to get yourself free. i also suggest the sheepsfoot for the marine environment, but that wouldn't double as a self-defense option as well as the leaf blade would. i went with a se pacific salt for all these reasons and i always wear it in the ocean and while i'm working out. if the caribbean had been out at the time, i probably would've gone for the se sheepsfoot version even though i have a hard time looking at it.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 4:24 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:

So, plain or serrated?
Any suggestions?
if you are planning on using it in the water, i would suggest serrations. in my opinion, serrations make the most sense in a marine environment because anything you need to cut will likely need to be cut in a hurry and will be some kind of line (i.e. fishing net, fishing line, rope, kelp, etc.). if you are tangled in anything under water, you'll want all the serrations you can get to get yourself free. i also suggest the sheepsfoot for the marine environment, but that wouldn't double as a self-defense option as well as the leaf blade would. i went with a se pacific salt for all these reasons and i always wear it in the ocean and while i'm working out. if the caribbean had been out at the time, i probably would've gone for the se sheepsfoot version even though i have a hard time looking at it.
Thank you, you make a good case for serrated.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:

So, plain or serrated?

I'm definitely biased at this point, I'd have to say SE. I am legitimately a believer and aside from special cases like a Cruwear Shaman, I don't plan on buying anymore PE knives unless it's a new design that I just have to experience. Even with the serrations grabbing the mulch in the bag it still cut through.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:

So, plain or serrated?

I'm definitely biased at this point, I'd have to say SE. I am legitimately a believer and aside from special cases like a Cruwear Shaman, I don't plan on buying anymore PE knives unless it's a new design that I just have to experience. Even with the serrations grabbing the mulch in the bag it still cut through.
Wow. That good eh?
I always knew the Jumpmaster always the best reputation for a cutter. I guess those serrated blades are that good.
Done deal then. Serrated it is!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:04 pm
Evil D wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 6:17 pm
MacLaren wrote:

So, plain or serrated?

Wow. That good eh?
I always knew the Jumpmaster always the best reputation for a cutter. I guess those serrated blades are that good.
Done deal then. Serrated it is!!

I've become accustomed to how aggressive serrations cut. I don't really know how else to word that. I haven't had the snagging or jagged cutting issues that people (even myself in the past) talk about. Part of the issue, well the entire issue I think, is getting them sharp enough and maintaining that sharpness. I've read a lot of comments about how serrations hold an edge longer and continue to cut and/or cut better when dull than a plain edge cuts when dull, and I think that mentality has a lot to do with the snagging issues because people are neglecting their edges and assuming it'll be ok. I just touch mine up after every major use or at the end of the day or whatever comes first and they cut as good or better than plain edge.
~David