First Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Freemind

First Spyderco

Post by Freemind »

Well first off, I like to say hello to everyone in this forum. After looking around at different brands and steels, I considered a Spyderco Endura 4. I will admit that I never purchased a pocket folder more than 10 bucks since I am in a college. My cheap blades work ok, I guess. However, they don’t hold an edge and they have a lot of play in the parts.

I don’t know what to expect from a Spyderco, given that I only purchased some cheap blades. Anyhow, I just wanted tell my little quick story before it comes in sometime by UPS.

:confused: Maybe it’s just me :confused: but I hope I am not wasting my money on just some name brand knife...I’ll find out soon enough :D
Billy

Post by Billy »

Welcome! I think (hope!) you will be pleasantly surprised with your new purchase compared to your old knives. Let us know your impressions once you get it.

Billy
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

Freemind...welcome to the forum! You won't be disappointed. The Endura is a great knife to start out with. Enjoy it!
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Freemind,
Welcome! We hope you enjoy your time here and we look forward to hearing what you think when you receive your Endura.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Wwlcome to the Spyderco Forums and congratulations on your inspired choice. I think you'll like the Endura.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Michael Cook

welcome to the forum!

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need! :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
T-Rex

Post by T-Rex »

Welcome to the forum - take your shoes off and make yourself comfortable.

Rex
kniferights.org - Charter Member #331
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

Welcome to the forum. I think that once you get the Endura in your hand, you'll set aside your fears of just buying into some name-brand.

Now that you've entered Spydieville, you'll never get those student loans paid off. :D
Back from an extended hiatus.
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

Freemind, Welcome to the Spydie forum! If you've been used to using $10 knives, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with your new Spyderco. Best bang for the buck out there.
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

Hey Freemind.

Congratulations on your purchase of a Spyderco knife. I am a newcomer to Spyderco too, but I could not be more please with those I have purchased.

Also, and this is really off topic, I want to congratulate you on the fact you are in college. I am an old guy who spent twelve years in night school to get my degree. Therefore, I really appreciate the effort involved. Keep at it buddy...you'll never be sorry.
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, Freemind! You won't be disappointed - let us know what you think.
If you like knives, you might as well have the best. :spyder: :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Freemind - If all you expect is excellent quality and a great value, you won tbe dissapointed. I am new to :spyder: as well and everyone here has been great, if you come up with :spyder: questions just ask, someone can answer them.
P.S. keep the bandaids handy you won't put down your Endura for at least an hour or two.
Shawn
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

Hi and welcome!

As I read this, I'm playing with my Endura4 ZDP plain... and just before I laid down my brand spanking new Scorpius :)

The Endua IS one impressive knife, especially for the price you pay over there... so if you haven't pulled the trigger yet and you want to own a knife that holds its edge REALLY long, please consider the ZDP-189 version of the Endura 4. It costs a bit more, but it is worth every penny in my opinion. The drawback is that it is a real PITA to sharpen once this gets necessary :D
You didn't tell much about your everyday cutting chores, so we can't give you any opinion about the ideal Spydie for you, but you definitely can't go wrong with an Endura in any flavor.
The E4 that impressed me most of all, though, was (surprisingly, since I favor Plain Edge) the Endura 4 ZDP-189 fully Serrated. It is by far the sharpest knife I EVER held in my hand. It is really what they call SCARY sharp. There's no resistance when cutting through paper, and given ZDP AND (!) SE, it will stay sharp for a loong time, I guess :)

So don't be afraid to invest some money in a "pricier" knife, it will be worth it in the long run. Trust us, we know :)

The only disadvantage is: you will be wanting MORE Spydies after that :-)
I started with just one little Delica 4 Wave, only to try out what Spyderco was all about, and by now, my showcase is jam-packed with them :rolleyes: ...and I want even more..... did I mention the upcoming Endura 4 with G-10 scales...? :D

Welcome again and enjoy your stay as I do everytime!

Dennis
bladese97

Welcome!

Post by bladese97 »

:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Welcome to the biggest, and strongest "web" on the net Freemind...Spyderco forums, and all Spyderbrothers, and sisters have a wealth of knowledge, and wisdom, and plain old Spydersmarts! You chimin, and hangin out here will impress you to no end! Oh, ya...Incase you didn't know....You've got a bad case of the Bug!
And as for your soon to have Endura4...You will love it, and will want more!
WARNING...The Bug you have will bite, and make you "Spydercrazy"! Enjoy friend :cool:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

Jazz wrote:Welcome, Freemind! You won't be disappointed - let us know what you think.
If you like knives, you might as well have the best.

- best wishes, Jazz.
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Well said Jazz!
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Very welcome to the forum and kiss your savings goodbye :D :D
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p