Who's making scales?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
araneae

Who's making scales?

Post by araneae »

I just got my 3rd mule, and first since the 9Cr18 mule from years ago, bringing me to look for scales. Who's making good scales at a good price. I'm not looking for anything fancy as this is intended to be a user. Suggest away! Thanks.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Mr_Whiskerz

Re: Who's making scales?

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

Halpern Titanium makes G10 and Micarta scales. You can also get black G10 from spydercos website(I think they might actually be made by Halpern Titanium). On the fancier end of the spectrum, an Etsy shop called 'Hazy Design Studios' makes very nice Micarta, G10, and "fat carbon" scales.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I just received two sets from Halpern Titanium - flat denim micarta and contoured natural micarta. Both look very nice. I bought them as back-up, in case I screw up making my first sets of handles :) They also sell sets of screws for both flat and contoured. I got a set of flat, figuring worst case I could successfully drill holes in flat micarta and cut the edges to match. Yes, I have loads of confidence! :squinting-tongue
araneae

Post by araneae »

I was aware that Halpern was doing them, surprised there aren't more responses.
-Nick

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

araneae wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:33 pm
I was aware that Halpern was doing them, surprised there aren't more responses.
I just had a set of the 'Hazy Design Studio' ones arrive (Etsy). They are more expensive and shorter on the blade end than the Halpern scales. My blades haven't arrived yet, so I will see tomorrow if the shorter 'Hazy' ones still look fine on the knife.
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

In case anyone's interested, L-R: Halpern contoured, Hazy, Halpern flat. I prefer the Halpern holes, as I can substitute a brass or copper rod for the Spyderco screw system.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

"Blade Protector" is a forumite (FullScaler, I believe) who prints inexpensive scales:

https://bladeprotection.com/shop/

I have a pair on a straight spine mule; they work well. They come ever so slightly oversize so you can sand them for a perfect fit, if you're into that level of detail. They also come with a hidden lanyard channel.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 7.07.49 PM.png
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
araneae

Post by araneae »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:58 pm
"Blade Protector" is a forumite (FullScaler, I believe) who prints inexpensive scales:

I have a pair on a straight spine mule; they work well. They come ever so slightly oversize so you can sand them for a perfect fit, if you're into that level of detail. They also come with a hidden lanyard channel.
Those look nice, but when i add them to the cart and click view cart, it is empty...
-Nick

HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

...Hazy and Halpern scales on the AEB-L. I didn't like the flat denim micarta ones.

You can't see it, but the Halperns on the right are much more contoured and feel better. These are just temporary, as I'm working on some nice maple blanks, but if I were going to leave the 'Hazy' CF ones on the knife on the left, I'd use permanent copper rods and fill in the area around them with white epoxy. I might try that on a future Mule.

Both are a touch smaller than the blade blank, the Halperns more-so, but still fine. If they were slightly larger I'd sand them to match the spine and the resulting knife would be a little better.

bobartig

Post by bobartig »

I just finished up a pair of Purple Heartwood scales for my SPY27 straight spine mule. Here are some progress pics:

I start with some very crudely cut blanks from a hand carpenter saw, and then a coping saw. If I was better at using a coping saw, and could mount the scales to something to make cutting them easier, I could get better results. But my "woodshop" right now is just my patio furniture.

Freshly cut purple heartwood has this "raw salmon" or pink like coloration, but it quickly starts to oxide due to exposed air and sunlight. You can see the "tanline" here that's developed over only a few minutes. Makes it very easy to see where you've been working because the wood is color-coding itself.

Here, the purple and pink are quite distinct. This is whittling away about a days worth of oxidation.

This is a contoured and sanded scale side (freshly cut), next to the scale backside that is fully-oxidized.

Both contoured and sanded scales showing the freshly cut coloration. I managed some pretty nice grain swirling near the bolster end!

Scale color after about three days of oxidation. This is fully darkened or near it.

Took it for a drive breaking down some cardboard boxes. Still need to finish these with wax/oil to remove small scuffs and protect them from moisture, and keep them from getting splintery. Very interesting wood to work with!
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

OP: ElijahSonntagDesigns on etsy made these ($30), they're ok, 3D printed, good fit, very grippy. :cheap-sunglasses

... rule #9 ...
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

bobartig wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:33 am
I just finished up a pair of Purple Heartwood scales for my SPY27 straight spine mule. Here are some progress pics:

I start with some very crudely cut blanks from a hand carpenter saw, and then a coping saw. If I was better at using a coping saw, and could mount the scales to something to make cutting them easier, I could get better results. But my "woodshop" right now is just my patio furniture.

Freshly cut purple heartwood has this "raw salmon" or pink like coloration, but it quickly starts to oxide due to exposed air and sunlight. You can see the "tanline" here that's developed over only a few minutes. Makes it very easy to see where you've been working because the wood is color-coding itself.
Thanks for sharing this. I don't have power tools other than a drill, so I'll be going through a similar process to yours - your pics and description of how you've done this gives me a lot more confidence.

Tomorrow my G10 spacer sheets arrive. I have everything else I'll need, so I'll start whittling as soon as the package arrives.

Edited to add: I had originally planned to use purpleheart for my first set, as I have a great piece of it - the problem is that it's too thick and I don't feel like having to saw it to make it thinner. One thing that I would suggest if you decide yours aren't shiny enough: get the small micro mesh pad set and go through the entire progression. I use these things on literally all materials, from briar pipes to delrin to knife blades.
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

I took these to about 240 grit but I didn't bother taking them further b/c I'm planning on buffing several layers of wax/seal on them, and then letting them wear in with use. I noticed with earlier scales that after a few rounds of finishing, the super-fine sanding got lost. Micro mesh pads, or sanding blocks of some kind would be really useful. I have mostly sanding drums, little rotary pads, but then just small sanding sheets which are awkward to use.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Bolster wrote:

I’ve been trying to buy, but the cart is not working for me. I really like the translucent green ones.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:40 pm
Bolster wrote:

I’ve been trying to buy, but the cart is not working for me. I really like the translucent green ones.

I bought mine from FullScaler directly, wasn't aware he had a website till now.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Hey guys, been so busy recently I haven't dropped by the forum in a while and am just seeing this now.

Not too sure what is up with my shop not working. I have had a few people message me about it now but I have also had other orders going through as normal so not too sure what the teck is going on there.

Either way, I have responded to the pm's that were sent, and if the store doesn't work for anyone feel free to message me directly here and I will be sure to check in more often.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Eying g10 contoured scaled by Halpern. I know they make quality products but any issues with these scales?

Recommended?
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:08 pm
Eying g10 contoured scaled by Halpern. I know they make quality products but any issues with these scales?

Recommended?
They didn’t have much in stock when I placed an order earlier today for a blue set but I believe they make the scales sold by Spyderco so they should be good to go.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

Didn’t know that, thanks!
blueblur wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:28 pm
Unbrokenchain33 wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 2:08 pm

Recommended?
They didn’t have much in stock when I placed an order earlier today for a blue set but I believe they make the scales sold by Spyderco so they should be good to go.
Justintoxicated

Post by Justintoxicated »

bobartig wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:33 am

Here, the purple and pink are quite distinct. This is whittling away about a days worth of oxidation.

This is a contoured and sanded scale side (freshly cut), next to the scale backside that is fully-oxidized.

Both contoured and sanded scales showing the freshly cut coloration. I managed some pretty nice grain swirling near the bolster end!

Scale color after about three days of oxidation. This is fully darkened or near it.

Took it for a drive breaking down some cardboard boxes. Still need to finish these with wax/oil to remove small scuffs and protect them from moisture, and keep them from getting splintery. Very interesting wood to work with!
I love it, nice work. Thank you for sharing. I would love to be able to do this myself someday.