Using standard wood scale sizes for Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TTFulltimer

Using standard wood scale sizes for Mule

Post by TTFulltimer »

I am building a retirement gift for my son. He has served in both the Police Department, and the FIre Department in his career. Building a thin blue/thin red line handle for a Mule he can use as a boat knife. The standard scale size of 5 inches by 1 1/2 inches will not provide the sort of handle I want. Mind started grinding at 3 am and it hit me to split the wood since I will be putting the straight pieces together with the lines, blue on one side of the knife and red on the other. Here are pictures of the handle shape I want along with how I am able to get two scales from the 1 1/2 inch width. One scale is in a light line on the wood the other is a darker line on the wood.
mulefacesm.jpg
split1.jpg
split2.jpg
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
TTFulltimer

Re: Using standard wood scale sizes for Mule

Post by TTFulltimer »

First processing step rough cut out. I want to document this along the way in case it may help others. The tools I use will be shown. I travel full time so compact and light are essential.
saw.jpg
rough.jpg
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

So, I take it the 1.5" wide is not quite large enough for your scale pattern? Nice creative solution to that problem! You are also getting some exquisite book-matched grain patterns in there as well. Are the red/blue lines going in as liners under the wood, or across the middle of the divide between each handle? Can't wait to see the finished results!
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

bobartig wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:51 pm
So, I take it the 1.5" wide is not quite large enough for your scale pattern? Nice creative solution to that problem! You are also getting some exquisite book-matched grain patterns in there as well. Are the red/blue lines going in as liners under the wood, or across the middle of the divide between each handle? Can't wait to see the finished results!
The lines will be front to back on the middle of the handle as well as a spacer on the back of the wood. I use the G10 spacers to provide a non split layer. So the color will be a long Tee shape.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

A plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox! I’m looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Good luck to you sir.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

And the knife is complete. Spalted Tamarind, I had to split the original cut scales to be sure of having dark lines in the wood. Upon close inspection using the scales whole would not have worked as well. The dark lines wander all over so choosing patterns where the final shape would have character was necessary. Red and blue lines are g10. Finish is burnished carnauba wax.
br4sm.jpg
br3sm.jpg
br2sm.jpg
br1sm.jpg
sbdude

Post by sbdude »

Very nice work!!!
swknight

Post by swknight »

Extremely WELL DONE "TTFulltimer"

Tell the retired son "well done good and faithful servant."

Been there done that...
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

Looks great.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

He was up working on his boat and his new business. I presented him with the knife. He loves it.