POLL: Shape of "Standard Mule" MT28P2

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Which do you prefer, regards the “Standard Mule” (MT28P2)?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:40 pm

Keep the Standard Mule as is, with existing straight spine (and the new sheath that fits it).
50%
Change the pattern of the Standard Mule to be more similar to all the other mules (and use the same sheath as the other mules.)
50%

Total votes: 58

chkn

Re: POLL: Shape of "Standard Mule" MT28P2

Post by chkn »

Cl1ff wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:44 pm
I'd think "Mule Team 2" is enough, though?
To me that would imply some kind of evolution of the design towards performance or ergonomics improvement. Essentially the straight spine was only intended to make it look different from the original mule shape.
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:33 pm
So if the “Mule Team 2” is primarily supposed to be a knife blank readily available for custom knife making projects and it’s not supposed to be a platform for controlled testing of blade steels, I don’t see why changing the name would meet any resistance. Its most likely easier than changing the knife itself, it would satisfy those that prefer to keep the straight spine version, and it would clearly and obviously seperate it from the original Mule Team Project.
I’m am guessing that that exact thing was talked about in their meeting on this topic. SPY27 was already “tested” on the normal mule team run. This is a way to provide a knife blank. A knife blank does not fit into any of their already established categories other than the Mule Team.

Rather than creating a whole new category name, section on their web page, section in the catalog, etc., for one knife (or if they release more production “blanks” at a later date, a handful of knives) it is simply easier to roll out and market under the already established “Mule Team” line/category rather than a new line named “Blank Team” or something else which doesn’t nearly have the attractive ring to it that Mule Team does.

So make it straight spine, add on a few characters to the SKU and “2” to the name and hit the ground running with it. It’s separate enough from the normal Mule Teams but grouped under the category because it’s the smart/cost effective business thing to do, especially when it’s something being offered that they didn’t have to in the first place.

Sal, name it what you want, shape it how you want, for this size and quality of metal for a knife to do whatever with for $60…I personally feel some semantics should not derail, complicate, or have the company spend any more budget to retool something that you all didn’t need to make in the first place but did as a courtesy to the consumer.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

CLOK wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:51 pm
Mushroom wrote:
So if the “Mule Team 2” is primarily supposed to be a knife blank readily available for custom knife making projects and it’s not supposed to be a platform for controlled testing of blade steels, I don’t see why changing the name would meet any resistance. Its most likely easier than changing the knife itself, it would satisfy those that prefer to keep the straight spine version, and it would clearly and obviously seperate it from the original Mule Team Project.
I’m am guessing that that exact thing was talked about in their meeting on this topic. SPY27 was already “tested” on the normal mule team run. This is a way to provide a knife blank. A knife blank does not fit into any of their already established categories other than the Mule Team.

Rather than creating a whole new category name, section on their web page, section in the catalog, etc., for one knife (or if they release more production “blanks” at a later date, a handful of knives) it is simply easier to roll out and market under the already established “Mule Team” line/category rather than a new line named “Blank Team” or something else which doesn’t nearly have the attractive ring to it that Mule Team does.

So make it straight spine, add on a few characters to the SKU and “2” to the name and hit the ground running with it. It’s separate enough from the normal Mule Teams but grouped under the category because it’s the smart/cost effective business thing to do, especially when it’s something being offered that they didn’t have to in the first place.

Sal, name it what you want, shape it how you want, for this size and quality of metal for a knife to do whatever with for $60…I personally feel some semantics should not derail, complicate, or have the company spend any more budget to retool something that you all didn’t need to make in the first place but did as a courtesy to the consumer.
I agree , MT2 is separate from separate and hopefully evolve into other blade variations , steel will and should be up to Spyderco . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

CLOK wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
None of that was suggested and they’ve sold other fixed blade blanks in the past so its not unchartered territory to begin with. But thanks for your input, I guess.

I don’t know what your obsession with categories is about but I find that irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
-Nick :bug-red
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:27 pm
CLOK wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
None of that was suggested and they’ve sold other fixed blade blanks in the past so its not unchartered territory to begin with. But thanks for your input, I guess.

I don’t know what your obsession with categories is about but I find that irrelevant to the discussion at hand.
No obsession. This is a business and I was providing some possible reasons as to why they may have put this with the Mule Team name rather than another route, which you clearly rather them have done.

But I am sorry to muddle up the thread with my irrelevant opinions. Your opinions are the only ones that matters on this forum, I guess. You have made that pretty clear lately it seems. I do enjoy learning some stuff from your posts though from time to time.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

CLOK wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:02 am
Mushroom wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:27 pm
CLOK wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

No obsession. This is a business and I was providing some possible reasons as to why they may have put this with the Mule Team name rather than another route, which you clearly rather them have done.

But I am sorry to muddle up the thread with my irrelevant opinions. Your opinions are the only ones that matters on this forum, I guess. You have made that pretty clear lately it seems. I do enjoy learning some stuff from your posts though from time to time.
Sorry if I’m a bit on edge in this thread… first I was told my whole post and opinion is a joke, then I was straight up insulted for having an opinion.

I never said your opinion doesn’t matter. I just don’t find that fitting this knife into its own respective category to be such a novel business decision. (Nor a necessary one) They were able to add the current MT28P2 into their “accessory” category without any issues. I don’t see why having a different name would require anything different than that. It could be called something other than “Mule Team” and still be in the accessory category of their catalog.

They have also sold a Bushcraft Blank (FB26SPEC) in the past and that had no relation to the Mule Team whatsoever.

This isn’t about what I would rather have seen them done. If it was, I would’ve rather had them never make the straight spine Mule Team in the first place. The idea to change the name was as simple as adding to the discussion that Sal asked for. I never claimed it was the only answer here, it was just one proposed solution. (Also not the only one I’ve suggested)
-Nick :bug-red
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Hmm, sometimes, actually often, I’m not able to wrap my head around things or convey my thoughts about some things clearly.

So, I’ll just go with what I really feel

If I can get a Spy27 Mule with serrations, and Spyderco keeps doing the regular Mule Team while offering some form of a Spy27 “Mule Team 2” in production, I’m fine with whatever.

You could do all sorts of things with the production version and I’d be into it.

I’ll suggest making a few of every Mule in SpyderEdge from now on, but that’s only what I think would be interesting.

I think a good idea that’s come from this thread is a Spy27 logo because it’d be neat.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Everyone’s opinion matters and everyone is bringing up valid points. We, myself included, I think can find better ways to carry the conversation rather than coming off as dismissive to others thoughts. I am sorry for how I may have came across.

My guess, and only a guess, the bushcraft blank (which I didn’t know about until you mentioned it Mushroom, again, I learn stuff from your posts from time to time which is nice) is far apart enough from the design of the Mule Team where the MT28P2 only has one main difference in spec being straight spine, that they just did their own thing with it. And to your point, they could have done the same with the MT28P2.

In the end, I think I just trust and respect Sal and the team’s original decision and thought process to place this one under the Mule Team name. If they feel they made the wrong decision after this thread and want to label it differently, change the shape, or whatever else, I trust their judgement on that too and will buy it as long as it’s in the same price realm of this one. I just like having this as an option so I don’t mess up the normal limited Mule runs if I damage the knife while making scales or anything else.
sal

Post by sal »

I appreciate all of the comments, suggestions and dialogue. We have been asked on several occassions to make some kind of "standard" Mule that which could be used to compare the other steels in the project. It was this request that I was trying to serve. I selected SPY27 because it's somewhat unique and in the general range of blade steels without being too extreme.

The fact that it may be used as a "kit Knife" is just a by-product of the reason. Mule Team 99 had edge retention that was higher or lower than the "Standard". Mule Team 98 was lower in Corrosion resistance than the "Standard", etc.

I thought to add a serrated version was give you an opportunity to compare teeth to no teeth in the "Standard". I don't think we'd want to add the variable of adding teeth to every Mule Team as it would be "too much" Serrations add their own set of variables like: angle, geometry, shape, size as well as the test medium which I feel would contaminate the project.

Now it looks like even separating the grit finish from one side of the edge to the other may be another variable?

This is "work in progress" so nothing is set in stone. I'm pleased that you are enjoying the project.

sal
CLOK

Post by CLOK »

Thank you Sal. I appreciate the insight on the thought process and it is nice to have a “standard” available at all times to make those baseline comparisons as you mentioned for testing. There are a lot of variables that could take place but I think you found a happy medium for the start of this project, for sure.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m definitely enjoying my Straight Spine Mule!
Spy27 has been doing great for me. I think its a great value too. There’s really nothing that beats the performance you can get from a Mule for the price.
I knew the teeth were a long shot, but I’ll be more than happy with them on “just” the one Mule!
Last edited by Cl1ff on Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
attila

Post by attila »

I don’t like and don’t currently plan on purchasing a straight spine Mule. Its looks are just too awkward in my mind. If the hole were moved and thumb ramp were reduced, the straight spine could be made to look natural and good, but the combo of the straight spine, spydiehole location, and abrupt thumb ramp as they currently are are seriously unattractive.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
timbits588

Post by timbits588 »

Start an "Evolution" Team with all blanks using the Spy27 steel. Release different blade shapes, edges, etc...

Regarding the poll, I do like the idea of the standard Mule Team blade shape to stay true to the original project. I also think that enlarging the Spydie hole, or a laser engraving, to differentiate it from the original is a good idea.

Very interesting read with plenty of great ideas and opinions!
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

I simply think a Mule should be a Mule. Having Mules in 2 shapes doesn't necessarily appeal to me. I don't love or hate the original shape and I don't mind the change in the new shape. I just think Spyderco should pick the one that's easiest for them to produce and keep things as cheap and simple as possible. Long live the Mule program!
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
akennyd

Post by akennyd »

Brand new Spyderco fan here (bought a Manix 2 a few weeks ago and love it)... I voted to keep the blade the same because I ordered the M398 Mule (first Mule) and I really like that blade shape plus being able to use the same sheath is a bonus because I carry mine as I am testing it. BTW, I love the M398 and its edge holding ability.

Best regards,
Kenny
Best Regards,
Kenny

Manix 2 CPM S30V G-10, M398 Mule :bug-red-white
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:56 am
Make the standard Spy wharncliff, similar to the jojimbo, lose the nub. Receive fat stacks of cash?

Call it the WharnSpy mule or WharnSpy27.
legOFwhat I love the WharnSpy27 idea. But if that is not an option keep the straight spine for differentiation from the other collectible mules.

Maybe the Spy27 regular mule could be a test bed for different shapes? Although that might kill sales for that mule, depending on the shape.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN & CRUWEAR, Native - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10
Temporarily put my mule away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kenny

Welcome to our forum.

Hope you enjoy your time here. Lotsa great folks hang here.

sal
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

VandymanG wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:50 am
legOFwhat? wrote:
Make the standard Spy wharncliff, similar to the jojimbo, lose the nub. Receive fat stacks of cash?

legOFwhat I love the WharnSpy27 idea. But if that is not an option keep the straight spine for differentiation from the other collectible mules.

Maybe the Spy27 regular mule could be a test bed for different shapes? Although that might kill sales for that mule, depending on the shape.
Maybe someone with photoshop skills could mash up a warncliffe blade to a MT handle....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:31 pm
VandymanG wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:

Maybe someone with photoshop skills could mash up a warncliffe blade to a MT handle....
Just turn the existing one upside-down.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Coastal wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:53 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:31 pm
VandymanG wrote:
legOFwhat? wrote:

Just turn the existing one upside-down.
🤔
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049