MT28P2 - CPM SPY27 Mule Team Release!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TTFulltimer

Re: MT28P2 - CPM SPY27 Mule Team Release!

Post by TTFulltimer »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:36 am
Hi Chkn,

I created the Mule Team project to provide a way for knife afi's interested in blade steels to be ale to test and compare different blade steels, first hand, on their own. It was a challenging project to bring to the market. I work with a number of foundries to be able to bring these blade steels to you. For many years, it was small numbers and a few interested folks that participated. We actually disbanded the project for a while due to declining interest. We brought it back due to requests here to do so. Kristi and our staff worked hard for many hours to bring the entire collection of posts to a sub-forum. The high demand and early sell-outs is a recent phenomena, which is why we increased the numbers made. From the time I request a blade steel from a foundry, usually based on their chemistry or requests from folks here is generally 2-3 years before we can deliver a Mule.

We sold the Mules consumer direct with no handles or sheath to keep the price affordable. The idea that it would become a "kit knife" was a new development. When our Mule Team folks asked for a "standard" mule for basic comparisons to be readily available, that would also be a kit knife, I made the decision to create the model and I selected the steel. I also made the decision that it would have to be easily identified as other than a Mule team for which the project requires. The "Standard" Mule would have to have the same grinds, edges, handle and basic shape as our regular Mule Team project pieces. In my mind, the area least affecting the performance of the model was the spine, which is what I changed.

While you may think there were other ways that I could have made it different, that in your mind would have been "better" than the way that I chose, is your opinion. The sheath difference, while unplanned, is in my opinion, a small inconvenience for being able to get the "Standard" piece in a proprietary steel, which was no easy task, considering all of the other things that Spyderco does.

The Mule Team project in general, and the Mule 2 in particular, is a gift from me to you. Your kind understanding is appreciated.

sal
I may be misunderstanding a bit here. Leaf is still the standard for Mule to test runs? And the straight spine is for the Production Spy27? If that is the case, straight spine the production.

Old runs before the break were completely different steels and heat treats than are recent mules. No need to get one more 59HRC semi stainless steel. However, when Mule MT39P 15V with the BBB heat treatment hits, most likely it will be like the Manix special. Gone in sixty seconds. You could make 5000 of those and they will still be gone in hours. That blade is incredible. I have to be very very careful not to touch the blade or the tip of the Manix. Otherwise I will see blood. None of my other steels are like that. Easy as pie to get that edge too. Same with Magnacut gone in no time at all.

I for one appreciate the family business that truly caters to it's customers. Kudos to all.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I posted this idea in the poll thread, give it a think:

If the shape of the "Standard" (always in stock) SPY27 mule is not fixed as a straight spine (Sal said the shape was a computer program, not tooling), one possibility might be a slow rotation of different blade shapes for the Standard Mule: straight spine this year, wharnie or sheepfoot next, leaf following, clip, etc.

This would allow a parallel test bed, not of steels, but of blade shapes, based on a single steel, SPY27. (Possibly also blade thicknesses.) Perhaps different blade shapes excel at different tasks, would be a fun way to experiment. Also, would keep the "Standard Mule" from becoming a "Oh, it's always in stock so I won't buy one today" sort of thing.

Downside would be the need for updated sheath designs as well.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
bob-atlatl

Post by bob-atlatl »

like shape as is, and just finished this one, olivewood scales.
Fist time using olivewood - it is now on my list of top scale wood types.
... rule #9 ...