Mule Suggestion: Vanadis 8

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
TomAiello

Mule Suggestion: Vanadis 8

Post by TomAiello »

Josh Crutchley

Re: Mule Suggestion: Vanadis 8

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:57 am
Any chance of a Vanadis 8 Mule?

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/12/07/ ... n-cpm-10v/
Let's hope so, I would be in for one. Also interested in some Vanadis 4.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:21 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:57 am
Any chance of a Vanadis 8 Mule?

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/12/07/ ... n-cpm-10v/
Let's hope so, I would be in for one. Also interested in some Vanadis 4.
I'm down and hopefully one day we'll get a Rex121 mule!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Would love a vanadis 8 or 10v mule. I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a San mai stainless Damascus with a Vanadis 8 or 10V core. Not sure what stainless steels could be used became I don’t know the heat treat protocols for each. I just know they have to be similar. I was scrolling through the forums looking for the Damascus one to post this when I saw this.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN & CRUWEAR, Native - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10
Temporarily put my mule away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The PMA11 mule was very similar to 10v. I don't think an actual 'name brand' 10v mule has been made yet.

The PMA11 mule was late in the last iteration of the mule team and hung around for quite a long time. I know several people who bought multiples well after the release date.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... MA11-/1063
Davidspeed13

Post by Davidspeed13 »

I bought a couple of the PMA11 mules. I wish that I’d bought several more. I kept one and put it through some heavy use and abuse that it stood up to like a champ. It’s just a beast to sharpen. I gave the other to a master sushi chef buddy of mine. He absolutely fell in love with the steel. He really would like to try out a yanagiba style knife in PMA11. I did have a couple of knives custom made in K390 for him that he likes. I certainly would love to get my hands on some 10V and Vanadis 8 mules. Somehow, I missed the MagnaCut mule drop, but that’s the only one I’ve missed since the mule team project restarted. Unfortunately, I didn’t know about the mule team project till shortly before it stopped the first time. So I did not get to try many of the earlier interesting steels, since I’m not willing to pay secondary market prices yet. I greatly appreciate Spyderco’s dedication to affording their customers the opportunity to try a variety of steels and I am particularly thankful for the mule team project.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

David, do you have a K390 Mule? I think the difference is probably in my head, but I prefer my K390 Mule to my PMA11 in EDC use. It seems to stay 'working sharp' longer for me.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:28 am
David, do you have a K390 Mule? I think the difference is probably in my head, but I prefer my K390 Mule to my PMA11 in EDC use. It seems to stay 'working sharp' longer for me.
I think the heat treatment on the PMA11 mule could have been better. It seems to take edge damage easily in my simple cut tests. Haven't tried K390 yet, it's next on my list of steels to acquire.
Davidspeed13

Post by Davidspeed13 »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:28 am
Tom, I did not find out about the Mule Team Project till after the K390 Mules were long gone. The couple of knives I have in K390(neither are Spyderco) do have excellent edge retention, but mine have a very different blade geometry from the Mules. One is a kiritsuke style chef’s knife. The other is a four inch fixed blade that I just have not used or carried much yet.
electro-static

Post by electro-static »

I’d be interested in a Vanadis 8 mule run hard.

I love K390 and would be fascinated by the comparison, DBK knives said in their review of a vanadis 8 custom that the steel seemed to have crazy exceptional aggression when cutting through rope and an easier sharpening experience than K390. After my experience with the M398 mule taking the most aggressive edge that I have ever put on a knife I would be curious to see what Vanadis 8 is capable of.
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I would love any Spydeco knife in Vanadis 8 :smiling-heart-eyes A Mule seems like the proper place to start.

IIRC, it's expensive and doesn't commonly come in the particular steel stock knife makers typically order. That info might be from the Knife Steel Nerds article linked above.

EDIT: found it in the article:
The main downside for Vanadis 8 is availability; it is not widely available from knife steel suppliers currently. The two suppliers I know of are USA Knifemaker and Eurotechni, but even at those it is only available in a single thickness.
I dunno where I remember reading that it was an expensive steel. Maybe I'm getting it confused with comparisons of 4V vs V4E and how the the V4E was typically more expensive.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

dull&blunt wrote:
Tue May 23, 2023 5:54 pm
I would love any Spydeco knife in Vanadis 8 :smiling-heart-eyes A Mule seems like the proper place to start.

IIRC, it's expensive and doesn't commonly come in the particular steel stock knife makers typically order. That info might be from the Knife Steel Nerds article linked above.
In europe Vanadis 8 Extra is around CPM Cruwear prices. A 40 x 4.5 x 215 mm piece is 62 € at Eurotechni. However it's out of stock right now (and have been for a while), and they can only offer 4,5 thickness there.

Vanadis 4 extra is cheaper (like, way cheaper) and can be found in stock there in several dimensions.

When ordering directly from uddelholm, you can go to a minimum of 4,56mm thickness for Vanadis 8 while you can go down to 3,78mm for Vanadis 4E

Uddelholm's website doesn't even show Vanadis 8 Extra as a thing (but there's Vanadis 23, 30, 60... :winking-tongue )
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
dull&blunt

Post by dull&blunt »

I truly hope Spyderco attempts this steel.

It looks so promising. They have gotta give it a shot.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Love 4v and I'm sure I'll love Vanadis 8!

Image Image
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049