Little help…

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ngati Pom

Little help…

Post by Ngati Pom »

Hi, I’m looking for some advice from the Mule experts.
I bought a ZDP Mule second then decided to use the factory scales. The barrels in the scale kit will not pass completely through the scales. They only ‘fit’ from the presentation side and stop approx.1-1.5 mm before clearing the opposite side.
Given the concern around the brittleness of these particular mules and my
ham-handedness… should I
(1) try and bore the holes lightly or
(2) emery the barrels to get a better fit or is there an option (3)?
Thanks in advance.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Fireman

Re: Little help…

Post by Fireman »

Personally, I would find the location on the hole it is binding up and use sandpaper wrapped around a rod
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I'd do the same. Not necessarily that it's the right way to do it, more that it would be easier to hold the blade blank and sand it than hold the barrel and sand it. I would invariably flat spot that barrel if I tried to sand it.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I would sand the barrels as they will be softer steel as they would not be hardened.

Cut a strip of sandpaper as thick as the barrel. Screw both screws into the barrel and place inside a vice or a locking wrench (like below)

It really shouldn’t take that long to sand them to fit through the mule holes. Try 120 grit wet and dry sandpaper
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Always modify the least expensive part, if you have the option. That means adjust the barrels to hit the holes in this case.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Thanks to you all for your advice. It is very much appreciated.
I was able to look in the holes in daylight and could see a small burr in each one. Possibly from the final part of the laser cutting process…
I used a small diameter diamond file to ‘gently’ remove them. Checking the barrels fit as I went.
The knife is now scaled.
William Gibson
Brant

Post by Brant »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:06 pm
I was able to look in the holes in daylight and could see a small burr in each one. Possibly from the final part of the laser cutting process…
I used a small diameter diamond file to ‘gently’ remove them. Checking the barrels fit as I went.
The knife is now scaled.
I had the same trouble getting the threaded insert in my mule. It would start on one side, but not the other, even if I flipped the mule over. I was considering doing without it, it was the middle hole and would have glued the screws in place for appearances. I got it sanded to the point where I could tap it into place. Looks good, and it’s NOT going anywhere! Now if I ever sell it, I can claim I hand finished it. Glad to hear you got your handles fitted too.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Brant wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:07 pm
Ngati Pom wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:06 pm
The knife is now scaled.
I had the same trouble getting the threaded insert in my mule. It would start on one side, but not the other, even if I flipped the mule over. I was considering doing without it, it was the middle hole and would have glued the screws in place for appearances. I got it sanded to the point where I could tap it into place. Looks good, and it’s NOT going anywhere! Now if I ever sell it, I can claim I hand finished it. Glad to hear you got your handles fitted too.
Hand finished…
I might have to use that too. :smlling-eyes
William Gibson
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Diamond file great for the burrs. To open a hole one might try diamond bits and a moto tool. Those diamonds do a wonder on glass. I loaned my set to a lady that does glass doo dads from bottles.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two