15V & AEB-L Mules On The Way

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ramonade

Re: 15V & AEB-L Mules On The Way

Post by Ramonade »

standy99 wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:53 am
Only the last one has been available for more than a day or 2. Prior they have been a sold
out in a few hours or a day at the most.

But Spyderco has been making a lot more than before to get these into the hands of people that want them nowadays.

Can’t see these 2 (especially 15V) being around for long.

The SPY27 will always be available as it is going to be a constant mule.

These 2 will be released in several months with the Rex T15 to be released soon I would say.
M398 had no hype around it, so that counts ! And if most Mule Team nuts like us both are thinking a bit like me, M398 is not carrying a blend of characteristics that is really appealing ^^. I'd still like for it to stay available until the T15 drops so that I don't have a hole between Mules :squinting-tongue
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:03 am
standy99 wrote:
Only the last one has been available for more than a day or 2. Prior they have been a sold

But Spyderco has been making a lot more than before to get these into the hands of people that want them nowadays.

These 2 will be released in several months with the Rex T15 to be released soon I would say.
M398 had no hype around it, so that counts ! And if most Mule Team nuts like us both are thinking a bit like me, M398 is not carrying a blend of characteristics that is really appealing ^^. I'd still like for it to stay available until the T15 drops so that I don't have a hole between Mules :squinting-tongue
Your the one with the hole between mules :winking-tongue

Rule one of Mule club…Never leave mules behind :rofl
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

I'll be getting both of these. As soon as I am aeb-l to do so.

What?
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

standy99 wrote:
Mr_Whiskerz wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:21 pm
Do we know when they'll release? There are already the other two that are "Coming Soon". Will these all be spaced out, or will we have 4 or 5 types of mules available at one time?

Thanks for the info! The M398 is my first Mule, so I really have no idea how all these go.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mr._Whiskerz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'm hoping I can get one of the 15V mules. I haven't had any luck getting one of the folders yet. I have most of the mules still only missing out on 5 or so.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Mastiff wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:33 am
I'm hoping I can get one of the 15V mules. I haven't had any luck getting one of the folders yet. I have most of the mules still only missing out on 5 or so.

That's impressive. I thought Yab was the only forumite that had a near complete collection of Mules. (Can't remember...his collection might be complete?) MAN, I wish I'd gotten into mules earlier. I snagged a Cru-Wear early on, and then, like an idiot, thought that was sufficient. Realized too late: one mule is far from sufficient.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Feed the FOMO! :rofl

I skip most and only grab what I think I can use. Turns out even that is too much. Still, in for one AEB-L. :tonque-out
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
cjk

Post by cjk »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:12 pm

What?
knice! rotflmao. :rofl. :zany
msum

Post by msum »

cjk wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:52 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:

What?
Terraeb-l.

If I were kleverer, I’d have a pun for 13C26.

In all seriousness, I think resonanzmacher’s post was a very amusing one.

Wow, Shawn is contributing a fair bit to heat treatment protocols for Spyderco. That’s 15V, MagnaCut and AEB-L now, right?
cjk

Post by cjk »

msum wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:56 pm
cjk wrote:
resonanzmacher wrote:

What?
Terraeb-l.

If I were kleverer, I’d have a pun for 13C26.

In all seriousness, I think resonanzmacher’s post was a very amusing one.

Wow, Shawn is contributing a fair bit to heat treatment protocols for Spyderco. That’s 15V, MagnaCut and AEB-L now, right?
I guess you might say Shawn's skills are a hot commodity. :squinting-tongue :rofl
msum

Post by msum »

cjk wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:53 pm

I guess you might say Shawn's skills are a hot commodity. :squinting-tongue :rofl
But then I might also be forced to say that he’s also pretty cool. Maybe approximately -320F/-196C.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

cjk wrote:
resonanzmacher wrote:

What?
Funny, I see what you did there. :winking-tongue
Justin
Toker

Post by Toker »

Cliff's notes on 15V? The only Mule I own is the Magnacut, but I'm not sure on how this 15V compares to other steels I own (S30V, M390, 20CV, Elmax, etc.). Most of the time, I use my Mule for light kitchen duty like fruits, processing game birds, etc.
kennbr34

Post by kennbr34 »

Toker wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:18 pm
Cliff's notes on 15V? The only Mule I own is the Magnacut, but I'm not sure on how this 15V compares to other steels I own (S30V, M390, 20CV, Elmax, etc.). Most of the time, I use my Mule for light kitchen duty like fruits, processing game birds, etc.
15V is basically the highest amount of vanadium you can stuff into steel, so it has a carbide percentage of something like 23%. It basically gives it wear resistance that's nearing Maxamet's, but unlike Maxamet it's also got toughness similar to M390/20CV. This is basically due to Shawn Houston's (of Triple B knives) heat treat protocol that he developed. For a really deep dive, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82056

Compared to the steels you listed, it should be about as tough as M390 and 20CV, but with with about 30% more wear resistance, according to Larrin Thomas's testing. So far on the Manix 2, they're running them at around 64-65 HRC so the performance might be a little better than Larrin's numbers because IIRC the sample he was testing was closer to 63 HRC. I'm not sure if Larrin was using Shawn's heat treat protocol or not for his testing either, so the toughness might be different too. Either way Larrin's tests should give you some good ballpark comparisons to other steels. Larrin has provided a formula to estimate edge retention differences based on hardness and edge geometry, and at 65 HRC and a 30 degree edge, it's more likely to be up there with Z-Max.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/05/24/ ... n-you-add/

Or you could checkout Shawn's YouTube channel, where you can see some pretty enticing performance tests instead of numbers. They don't really showcase the wear resistance as well as the CATRA numbers, but definitely showcase the toughness.

https://youtu.be/bliUWSXm09o
https://youtu.be/qgkAHxHYuB4
https://youtube.com/shorts/uYWk0hGmPNs
https://youtu.be/fakP3h8FbHE
https://youtu.be/Vb5YRfe1Ndc

Hopefully that's a good summary
David R

Post by David R »

Interested in both of these. I don't need more AEB-L, but will be interested to see how it performs. It seems to be an underrated and under used steel, particularly for kitchen knives.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That's impressive. I thought Yab was the only forumite that had a near complete collection of Mules. (Can't remember...his collection might be complete?) MAN, I wish I'd gotten into mules earlier. I snagged a Cru-Wear early on, and then, like an idiot, thought that was sufficient. Realized too late: one mule is far from sufficient.
Several of them I have dupes of. There are a bunch of them sitting unused in a box buried in one of my closets. When I had two ( or more) I made sure to keep one like new. It wasn't until mules were restarted that I missed out on some. The first ? years I never missed a release.

I have a bunch of NIB old Spyderco folders sitting in boxes too. There was a time I tried buying everything they released. Those days are long gone though .

My son will have a lot of learning to do when he goes to get rid of all my stuff. I didn't start out trying to be a compulsive pack rat Spyderco collector but it turned into that somewhere along the way. No longer though.

:)
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:13 pm
Several of them I have dupes of. There are a bunch of them sitting unused in a box buried in one of my closets. When I had two ( or more) I made sure to keep one like new. It wasn't until mules were restarted that I missed out on some. The first ? years I never missed a release.

I have a bunch of NIB old Spyderco folders sitting in boxes too. There was a time I tried buying everything they released. Those days are long gone though .

My son will have a lot of learning to do when he goes to get rid of all my stuff. I didn't start out trying to be a compulsive pack rat Spyderco collector but it turned into that somewhere along the way. No longer though.

:)
Haha well feel free to give your son my contact info... to use many many years down the road.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:13 pm
My son will have a lot of learning to do when he goes to get rid of all my stuff. I didn't start out trying to be a compulsive pack rat Spyderco collector but it turned into that somewhere along the way.

I hear you. In my case...my poor daughter! Maybe by the time she inherits it, nobody will be using steel in a knife anymore, and she can save herself the hassle by just hauling all these Spydercos (many still in boxes) to the trash and be done with it.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Toker

Post by Toker »

kennbr34 wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:35 pm
Hopefully that's a good summary
It's a great summary! Much thanks.