What Grit Satin Finish on Mules?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Bolster

What Grit Satin Finish on Mules?

Post by Bolster »

I've managed to make some horizontal scratches on a Mule by sliding it in and out of a Kydex sheath I made. Am remaking the sheath to get rid of the problem*, but would like to "re-scratch" the blade "vertically," by which I mean spine to edge, as from factory, to mute the visibility of the horizontal scratches.

About what grit are the scratch patterns on mules (which I assume we are calling a 'satin finish')? One source mentioned using a green Scotch-brite pad, but I tried it, and it appears to be too fine.

* The problem, if you're interested, is the spydie hole. I did not plug it while making the Kydex sheath, so I got divots on both sides of the sheath at the hole. It helps retention but adds a scratch point -- right through the spider. Yes, I cleaned the sheath throughly and multiple times. I think it's just the nature of Kydex--even clean Kydex can leave fine horizontal scratches if it is pressed firmly against the blade.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
CasperFatone

Re: What Grit Satin Finish on Mules?

Post by CasperFatone »

I would guess that it’s about a 180-220 grit scratch pattern. A worn 220 belt is probably too fine but fresh 220 should be about right. Likewise a fresh 180 might be too coarse but a worn one might be right. To stay on the safe side start with the finer grit since sanding out coarser scratches is more work.
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
Bolster

Re: What Grit Satin Finish on Mules?

Post by Bolster »

CasperFatone wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 7:33 am
I would guess that it’s about a 180-220 grit scratch pattern. A worn 220 belt is probably too fine but fresh 220 should be about right. Likewise a fresh 180 might be too coarse but a worn one might be right. To stay on the safe side start with the finer grit since sanding out coarser scratches is more work.
Thanks Casper! :sparkler
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189