My Folding Mule Project

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
kennethsime

Re: My Folding Mule Project

Post by kennethsime »

Casper, I like this one a lot. Throw some nice contoured Micarta scales on there and charge me $200, please. ;-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Looks great ! Great ingenuity and hard work. Please,update in future . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

That’s awesome!!
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

I decided on OD Green Terotuf for the scales. There is still some work to do with final touches and making the clip, but I am already loving this knife. I’ve contoured the scales to where it feels really nice in my hand and with the flipper tab it is pretty fun to fidget with (not typically something you think of in a Mule).

So, this was my first time making a compression lock, and I have to say that for me it is superior to any other lock blade mechanism that I’ve ever made. It just feels stronger and operates so smoothly, all with less effort than I was expecting. I know this probably isn’t news to anyone on this forum, but Spyderco really knocked it out of the park with this design! If I were allowed to make custom knives to sell with this lock it is all I would chose to make.

Here is a gif of the action on this Mule, along with a link in case the gif doesn’t play for you-

https://i.imgur.com/aF3BnfL.mp4

Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Brilliant! I also like how you moved the lock cut out further back where it (IMO) belongs.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Killer. :smiling-heart-eyes

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

CasperFatone wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 pm
I decided on OD Green Terotuf for the scales. There is still some work to do with final touches and making the clip, but I am already loving this knife. I’ve contoured the scales to where it feels really nice in my hand and with the flipper tab it is pretty fun to fidget with (not typically something you think of in a Mule).

So, this was my first time making a compression lock, and I have to say that for me it is superior to any other lock blade mechanism that I’ve ever made. It just feels stronger and operates so smoothly, all with less effort than I was expecting. I know this probably isn’t news to anyone on this forum, but Spyderco really knocked it out of the park with this design! If I were allowed to make custom knives to sell with this lock it is all I would chose to make.

Here is a gif of the action on this Mule, along with a link in case the gif doesn’t play for you-

https://i.imgur.com/aF3BnfL.mp4

Pretty dang sweet... again
sal

Post by sal »

CasperFatone wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 pm

Hi Casper,

Project is looking good.

thanx for the kind words on our compression Lock. I guess we have come up with a few good ideas.

sal
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Long time no see everyone. Great first thread to come back and find. Terrific looking work Casper. If you need more Mules to experiment on, let me know as I can send some sharp little volunteers your way.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
attila

Post by attila »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 pm
Long time no see everyone. Great first thread to come back and find. Terrific looking work Casper. If you need more Mules to experiment on, let me know as I can send some sharp little volunteers your way.
Hey Landon! Welcome back!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Sudarshan Chakra

Post by Sudarshan Chakra »

Staring at my Magnacut Mule (that I over-paid for on the secondary market just to get one), I was fantasizing on what an amazing knife it would be as a folder... and here it is! What an absolutely amazing piece of work this is!

If the Arachna Magna Magus is listening (cough, cough, hint hint), give this man a hefty design fee and put this baby into production tomorrow! Magnacut, of course. :preying

Even an old left-handed dog can learn a new trick. Looking at the GIF of how Casperfatone unlocks his knife was a revelation! Especially with the lowered release.

As a lefty, it's been a long and hard road to find knives for our ilk. Hats off to you Sal for being one of the few back in the day to fill that gap. I still have my original lefty Police clip-its (both serrated and plain) and the skinny red boxes they came in.

A plea and nudge for any modification on the production run compression lock knives to accommodate us lefties would certainly be a Godsend! Yes, I have a Manix, no, I don't own a Smock but like the concept, just not the blade design.

SPYDERCO - the second most expensive hole in my life!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sudarshan Chakra:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Sudarshan Chakra

Post by Sudarshan Chakra »

Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Amazing work! Now I want to make a lefty mule folder or maybe a CBBL?? :winking-tongue

* cbbl definitely won't work without new pivot hole and some edge loss, probably not worth it.
Last edited by Josh Crutchley on Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:31 pm
...I suspect your work will bring a chorus of requests down on Spyderco to start making folding mules...
Sudarshan Chakra wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:44 am
...put this baby into production tomorrow! ...

Not forgetting, of course, that the purpose of the Mule program is to get new steels into the hands of users in the least expensive way possible; ie, fixed blades. It would be disappointing to see the Mule program forego affordable fixed-blades and morph into only high-dollar folders. I don't think that's a possibility, but I think it's worth reviewing the original intent.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

xceptnl wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:43 pm
If you’re serious about this I’m definitely interested! My preference is Mules that are made in Golden because the hole that I use for a pivot is 3/16”, which works with the pivot bushings and other hardware I typically use. I already have one more Mule to mod (in RWL-34) until I will need another to play with.
sal wrote: Project is looking good.
Thanks Sal! It might sound silly but your approval really does mean a lot to me. I absolutely love knives and your designs are some of my favorites :)
Bolster wrote: Not forgetting, of course, that the purpose of the Mule program is to get new steels into the hands of users in the least expensive way possible; ie, fixed blades. It would be disappointing to see the Mule program forego affordable fixed-blades and morph into only high-dollar folders. I don't think that's a possibility, but I think it's worth reviewing the original intent.
Just so you know, my reason for this project is to put my Mules to everyday use. Since I don’t ever carry fixed blade knives, and really enjoy making custom folders when I can, this seemed like the perfect way to go. I do not plan to turn my hobby into any sort of a Mule modding production.

tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

I don't think you need to explain yourself. You're doing some awesome things and luckily sharing them with us. Thank you for letting us in on your project(s).
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

Small update on the Rex76 compression lock Mule. I made a titanium deep carry clip and enlarged the Spydiehole since my last post. This one is pretty much done, other than some cosmetic things I might do like bead blasting and anodizing.

I’m still not sure what I’m going to do for the next one. Current ideas include a compression/button lock similar to the shape of v1. I also have a design for one that would be shaped similar to the Autonomy 2. Before I do anything. I’m probably going to make a small folder or two out of my handle offcuts, which I will post here :)

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

This thread ended up breaking my jaw :O
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Absolutely stellar work, Casper. I am in awe.