My Folding Mule Project

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Cl1ff

Re: My Folding Mule Project

Post by Cl1ff »

I’m really digging that little penguin design.
It’s really well done. Designing a knife that captures the image of something like an animal, while still being a functional/simple/elegant is pretty hard.
I genuinely would buy one if Spyderco made it.

Aside from being a super neat design, a small Reverse-S slipjoint is a good idea on it’s own.

I also agree about the compression lock.
It’s been my favorite to design into knives, at least on paper, and I think it ‘s a very good and functional lock designed in a simple, versatile, and efficient way.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Nicely done! I love the penguin as well.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Your creativity is off the charts. Very inspirational. Thanks for taking the time to post up.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
TTFulltimer

Post by TTFulltimer »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 10:39 am
Bolster wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:31 pm
...I suspect your work will bring a chorus of requests down on Spyderco to start making folding mules...
Sudarshan Chakra wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:44 am
...put this baby into production tomorrow! ...

Not forgetting, of course, that the purpose of the Mule program is to get new steels into the hands of users in the least expensive way possible; ie, fixed blades. It would be disappointing to see the Mule program forego affordable fixed-blades and morph into only high-dollar folders. I don't think that's a possibility, but I think it's worth reviewing the original intent.
Perhaps not folding mules. Fixed blade handle ready mules, and (pick one favorite here most likely a manix or a Native 5 or whatever blade shape would fit) and run the metal with the proper tang shape to just bolt into some existing platform. Still getting metals to the curious for basically the same price. Pick up a broken blade knife or such on the secondary and bolt in that new super steel blade.
Just a crotchety old curmudgeon who has seen a thing or two
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

I finally got around to grinding the bevels on my little Penguin slipjoint made from m398 Mule scrap. As far as my experience grinding the m398, it really wasn’t too bad. Most of my experience is with basic carbon steels, which I do around 75% of my bevels before heat treat. Obviously this is a tiny knife but I was pleasantly surprised with how little time it took to grind with fresh belts.

I will say that grinding the reverse S shape is a pain in the *** and that this knife has the worst looking edge of anything I’ve ever done. Apparently looks aren’t everything, because this little knife performs the task of making shallow cuts better than I can honestly believe. So far I’ve destroyed a ton of cardboard with it and the edge has held up incredibly well, confirming that I didn’t ruin the heat treat :)

There are still some finishing touches to do on this knife before I call it done but they are mostly superficial. I want to countersink my screws a little more and trade them out for black ones, as well as do some more hand sanding.

I’m probably going to take a little while before starting my next Mule, and might decide to wait for the 15v to come out. Currently I’m doing a harpoon reblade for a friend’s Spyderco Gunting, which I will post in the general discussion forum. Enough talk, here are some pics/vids. Enjoy!

Animal friends!

Cardboard destroyer

https://i.imgur.com/LoaMZn3.mp4

Action video, nice little squawk and talk…

https://i.imgur.com/64kJCHw.mp4

My new favorite little knife for 5th pocket carry. It’s so small you don’t even really notice it’s there, and feels just right making cuts with your index finger near the tip. I hope you guys like it as much as I do :)

Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Another fantastic update! This Penguin knife is really coming out great. It’s such a fun and unique project to follow along with.

I’m just spitballing but in my opinion the little G10 backspacer foot would look perfect in orange G10! It would be like an abstract representation of penguin feet.

Also because I can’t help myself, I think an Orange G10 pivot collar would be a cool highlight as an abstract representation of the “Penguins beak.” None the less, this little knife is super cool, I love the concept.

(Lastly, I got a good chuckle out of “Squawk and talk.” :grin-squint)
-Nick :bug-red
infinkc

Post by infinkc »

Love it! Need one in my life
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

I slept on this thread until just now. It feels like I just watched multiple seasons of a hit show that everyone else has seen, and I only now decided to catch up with. This is a totally awesome thread, some sick modding and craftsmanship. The compression lock mule especially is very impressive.
sal

Post by sal »

Nicely done Casper.

sal
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Hahaha ".. squalk & talk." Nice
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

How did I miss this? The Emperor! …you know, as in penguin?

The Emperor is collaboration-worthy, no?
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:02 pm
I’m just spitballing but in my opinion the little G10 backspacer foot would look perfect in orange G10! It would be like an abstract representation of penguin feet.
Perfect.

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

:astonished
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

the penguin is outstanding. i love it - fantastic idea and execution
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

wrdwrght wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:41 am

I was thinking Emperor penguin too
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
CasperFatone

Post by CasperFatone »

wrdwrght wrote:

I had actually thought of this one originally as being called the Adelie (pronounced Uh-del-E) Penguin, because it’s so small. However, I still have the handle offcut from my Rex76 Mule which I plan to do another version out of, and that one will have a slightly longer beak. There are a few other things I’d like to change on the next one, so I don’t see why that knife can’t be called the Emperor Penguin :)
Amateur maker of folding knives and addicted to modding Spyderco knives

Folding Mules- m398 liner lock, Rex76 compression lock, 15v liner lock flipper
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

CasperFatone wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:29 pm
wrdwrght wrote:

I had actually thought of this one originally as being called the Adelie (pronounced Uh-del-E) Penguin, because it’s so small. However, I still have the handle offcut from my Rex76 Mule which I plan to do another version out of, and that one will have a slightly longer beak. There are a few other things I’d like to change on the next one, so I don’t see why that knife can’t be called the Emperor Penguin :)
Call it an Adelie or an Emperor, I’d buy it for that short, but useful length of recurve.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Is the puffin next?

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Cnhensel

Post by Cnhensel »

CasperFatone wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:40 pm
I decided on OD Green Terotuf for the scales. There is still some work to do with final touches and making the clip, but I am already loving this knife. I’ve contoured the scales to where it feels really nice in my hand and with the flipper tab it is pretty fun to fidget with (not typically something you think of in a Mule).

So, this was my first time making a compression lock, and I have to say that for me it is superior to any other lock blade mechanism that I’ve ever made. It just feels stronger and operates so smoothly, all with less effort than I was expecting. I know this probably isn’t news to anyone on this forum, but Spyderco really knocked it out of the park with this design! If I were allowed to make custom knives to sell with this lock it is all I would chose to make.

Here is a gif of the action on this Mule, along with a link in case the gif doesn’t play for you-

https://i.imgur.com/aF3BnfL.mp4

Nice work! Compressions are my preference for pocket knives.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

What steel did you use for the liners?
"Some call me...Tim?"