Rex76 New Worksharp fixed angle edge

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
bobartig

Rex76 New Worksharp fixed angle edge

Post by bobartig »

I'd put about 4+ hours of wood shaving on the innermost edge, and while it was still cutting pretty well, it had lost it's paper-slicey sharpness right near the bolster. Decided to pull out the worksharp fixed angle sharpener and put a new one on there. Used the default Adjust stones, which are getting a bit dull at this point. 220, 320, 440, 600, 800, then ceramic, and a bit of stropping. Went for a shiny edge. It's nowhere near mirror polish, but it's sharp.

Wow, this blade steel is HARD. I have one of the Ritter RSK Magnacut knives with HRC 63-64, and it felt very "glassy" on the sharpener. This was waaaa-a-a-a-a-y glassier! Very hard to feel a burr forming with the stones, but I sort of "worked it out" via look and where the shavings were going. The worksharp default clamp is very squishy, so I can' t get a consistent finish without the accessory kits (please come back in stock!).

Overall, not that difficult to get sharp on a fixed angle system, but now my stones are probably smashed to bits, and fairly difficult to make it look nice. Also, a bit of patina on there from chopping up banana trees.
harpo1

Re: Rex76 New Worksharp fixed angle edge

Post by harpo1 »

What is the worksharp fixed angle sharpener?
--Pete
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

I'm using a worksharp precision adjust elite - https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/ben ... ust-elite/
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

bobartig wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:09 pm
I'm using a worksharp precision adjust elite - https://www.worksharptools.com/shop/ben ... ust-elite/
You could go to Gritomatic and see their options. They propose accessories like 4" or 6" stone holders wich can accomodate venev dog, greater dog or even better :cerberus dog stones.

I did it and it totally changed this system ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

I was waiting months for the Leading Edge kit to come back in stock. Otherwise, I don't know what all to buy. I know I need a clamp, a rod, a stone holder, the wedge block, but I don't know what all work with what.