Mule Magnacut

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
FrancoRui

Mule Magnacut

Post by FrancoRui »

Hello friends
I am trying hard to polish sharping.
Can anyone please help in your experience
What stones and strops, to uses ?
Please
Best Regards
Michael Janich

Re: Mule Magnacut

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear FrancoRui:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Hi, I use diamond stones for sharpening my Magnacut Mule (and my father's one too).
I have the Work sharp precision adjust system, it helps setting an angle and just sharpening. I only use it for reprofiling though, I sharpen most of the time by hand on "venev industrial diamonds" diamond stones (wich are not easy to get in the EU, but you could try Hapstone website).

Otherwise, I have a variety of diamond stones, you could buy from Knives&Tools in the diamond sharpeners section :)

To strop, I have a leather strop on wich I spray some DMT Diaspray at 0,5 micron (also available at Knives&Tools)

Of course, other abrasives could work too, like silicon carbide, but I prefer to use diamonds because this is what I have the best results with.
Hope that helps
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
FrancoRui

Post by FrancoRui »

Michael Janich wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:49 am
Dear FrancoRui:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thank you so much I mean it
Looking forward to learn, and to share my knowledge looking forward to seeing a lot of beautiful blades and if I can help with anything, please let me know. Best regards.FrancoRui
FrancoRui

Post by FrancoRui »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:44 am
Hi, I use diamond stones for sharpening my Magnacut Mule (and my father's one too).
I have the Work sharp precision adjust system, it helps setting an angle and just sharpening. I only use it for reprofiling though, I sharpen most of the time by hand on "venev industrial diamonds" diamond stones (wich are not easy to get in the EU, but you could try Hapstone website).

Otherwise, I have a variety of diamond stones, you could buy from Knives&Tools in the diamond sharpeners section :)

To strop, I have a leather strop on wich I spray some DMT Diaspray at 0,5 micron (also available at Knives&Tools)

Of course, other abrasives could work too, like silicon carbide, but I prefer to use diamonds because this is what I have the best results with.
Hope that helps
Wow, outstanding review. Thank you so much brother I’m trying to look up a system with the angle. Do you have any names please? There are so many on the market about the stones Venew I’m going to have a look and investigate absolutely and about the diamond stones. Which brand do you use please
Once again, thank you very much for your support and your attention. Looking forward to hear from you again best regards.Franco
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

FrancoRui wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:46 am

Wow, outstanding review. Thank you so much brother I’m trying to look up a system with the angle. Do you have any names please? There are so many on the market about the stones Venew I’m going to have a look and investigate absolutely and about the diamond stones. Which brand do you use please
Once again, thank you very much for your support and your attention. Looking forward to hear from you again best regards.Franco
No worries, I'm happy to help!

I use a cheap fixed angle system named "Work Sharp Precision Adjust". But there are a lot of other systems, one for each price category.
The "KME" is well known, and then more expensive there is the "TSProf" (blitz or kadet) or even the ones sold by Hapstone from Ukraine (you'll find them if you type "Hapstone" on google, they also sell venev stones)

Being in Denmark, it might not be the best choice to order from USA, so i tried to give you references you'll find in Europe. Sadly, the Venev resin bonded diamond stones are made in Europe but Hapstone is the only good distributor for them. You can sometimes find some on Knives&tools, but it's rare.

If you plan to buy a system, the Work Sharp Precison Adjust, KME and TSProf all come with diamond stones, so you'd be set and ready to sharpen ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds