Patina on Rex 76?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Hatuletoh

Patina on Rex 76?

Post by Hatuletoh »

I've been using my Rex 76 mule for anything and everything since I got it, and given the time of year, that has included slicing a lot of tomatoes, apples, peaches, etc.--in other words, acidic foods. I always rinse and wipe the blade when I'm done, but so far, it hasn't developed any patina and I because I wanted to see how the steel reacted without any special treatment, I haven't done anything else to protect it, like putting a coat of tsubaki oil on it. This lack of patina has been especially surprising to me because I remember on the day I bought my M4 Manix 2 I used the knife to cut an apple, and the blade literally took on light patina in front of my eyes (which freaked me out, because I didn't know much about steel at the time. Thought I'd messed up my first big boy knife). Rex 76 and M4 both have about 3.75% Cr and fairly similar amounts of other carbide forming elements, so I'd assume the amount of free Cr would also be roughly the same. So can anyone explain why the latter began to develop a patina immediately, while the former has gone through crates of acidic produce and still is as shiny as the day it arrived? I'm not complaining, of course, just wondering if anyone can explain the difference; and also if others have had a similar experience with the Rex 76? Has anyone tried to force a patina on their mule, and if so, how did it go?
mtb

Re: Patina on Rex 76?

Post by mtb »

Interesting.. mine is picking up some nice patina after 7-day fruit-prep cycle last week.

This week I switched to the GB2 (M4), and while it also picked up good patina quickly during fruit-prep, all disappeared after meat slicing... I can't really explain why, but maybe you sliced through some meat too?

Kiwis seemed to leave some blue patina... maybe because I went slow on them :squinting-tongue

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Coincidentally I left my 76 mule well coated in lime juice after cutting it in half for my Gin and Tonic and will see what the 24 hour result is. After a few hours, there did not seem to have been any impact on the knife, but tomorrow will tell.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I haven't noticed any patina but I did get some galvanic corrosion. My knife sharpener has an aluminum clamp with thin foam to protect the blade. Well after so many uses the pads where tore up so I removed them. I sharpened a few knives without them and didn't notice anything weird so I went on to the Mule. It was only in the clamp for 20 min but that was enough time to leave spots on the blade where the aluminum touched.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

The 76 did pretty well with my lime test. I will post a pic later but it seems just to be a light surface corrosion.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I am still waiting on a special order of scale materials to do the three Rex76 mules i've received. In the meanwhile, I've been using the one I plan to keep with the G10 scales (wich fit differently than on the previous mules, the shadowboxing is not the same everywhere, and it's bigger).

The one I used is pristine (but I coated the three of them with Froglube paste).
However, one of them came with a little spot of patina on it and the whole blade is yellow-er than the other two.

Imma keep this one for use, to not disappoint any future owner ^^

:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

results from my 24 hour lime juice test
that should polish off pretty well
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Oh yes this really looks like at least 90% surface rust, I'm looking forward to what's left after that !
Kinda impressive for such a steel composition.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

mtb

Post by mtb »

What would you guys recommend for rust removal? Bar Keepers Friend?
GT99

Post by GT99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:16 am
I am still waiting on a special order of scale materials to do the three Rex76 mules i've received. In the meanwhile, I've been using the one I plan to keep with the G10 scales (wich fit differently than on the previous mules, the shadowboxing is not the same everywhere, and it's bigger).

The one I used is pristine (but I coated the three of them with Froglube paste).
However, one of them came with a little spot of patina on it and the whole blade is yellow-er than the other two.

Newbie here to spyderco knives (just found out what a mule is just now) but I want to pick up a spyderco knife but I am kinda picky with design, I am a big fan of the Shaman look and size, curious though what is the knife with the G10 handles in your pic under the 3 mules? The blade looks different and love how it lines up with the handle, thats kinda the look I am going for when I purchase one.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

GT99 wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:09 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:16 am

Newbie here to spyderco knives (just found out what a mule is just now) but I want to pick up a spyderco knife but I am kinda picky with design, I am a big fan of the Shaman look and size, curious though what is the knife with the G10 handles in your pic under the 3 mules? The blade looks different and love how it lines up with the handle, thats kinda the look I am going for when I purchase one.
You asked the right guy! I myself am also in love with a long curve from spine to butt on my folders. Thiq knife is a Natice Chief. There is a smaller version called the Native 5, and an even smaller one called the Lil'Native!

The Native Chief is an excellent knife. Mine is a sprint run in Rex45 but if you live in the USA Cutlery Shoppe has an exclusive of the same knife in CTS-XHP with orange G10

GT99

Post by GT99 »

Awesome, I am in Canada and well, we have silly laws so ordering anything from the US might get seized at the border, same as if I had to send a knife in for warranty work even though its perfectly legal to buy the knife here, CBSA are just thieves it seems. I assume that makes it so I would never be able to buy a mule, its hit and miss if you will get your knife from outside the country and losing a knife worth hundreds is not a chance I want to take lol. I can order all regular production knives from Canadian suppliers though, I have a knife shop not too far from me that I normally buy from so I can avoid shipping but looks like I might have to order the Shaman as my shop is sold out and not sure when they are getting more in from spyderco and I tend to be impatient, I do love the Native 5 look as well, I have to see one in person because the blade length seems to be on the smaller size, I find 3 is a bit small but 3.5 to 4 is just right. The chief I wasnt aware of so need to check my knife shop for it now, love the look of it and googled it and its right around 4 inches, it actually looks like the perfect knife. I have benchmade and other knives but will be new to spyderco, I was never big on most designs until seeing these (and a few others, the civilian is just so different and some reason I want it in my collection) the biggest thing is I have been going down the steel rabbit hole and I have a few decent ones like m390, s90v, m4 etc on my benchmades but the more I have looked at spyderco they seem to be THE company for steel nerds, they have so many options, kinda why it sucks that the mules are likely off the table for me
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

mtb wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:44 pm
If you don't mind scratches on your blade, that will work. I'd suggest Flitz metal cleaner/polish.

I've been carrying mine every day and using it for whatever comes up. The only care it gets is sharpening when it gets dull and a wipe on my pant leg after use. No sign of rust or patina other than the cloud of scratches left by the home made Kydex sheath.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Mules are definitely good to go up here in Canada. The CBSA uses our very vague guidelines around folding knives to justify their confiscations. Any standard fixed blade is GTG.

I have got the last 6 or 7 mules up here no problem and I don't know anyone up here who has had a Mule nabbed by CBSA.
GT99 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 am
Awesome, I am in Canada and well, we have silly laws so ordering anything from the US might get seized at the border, same as if I had to send a knife in for warranty work even though its perfectly legal to buy the knife here, CBSA are just thieves it seems. I assume that makes it so I would never be able to buy a mule, its hit and miss if you will get your knife from outside the country and losing a knife worth hundreds is not a chance I want to take lol.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
mtb

Post by mtb »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:53 pm
mtb wrote:
If you don't mind scratches on your blade, that will work. I'd suggest Flitz metal cleaner/polish.

I've been carrying mine every day and using it for whatever comes up. The only care it gets is sharpening when it gets dull and a wipe on my pant leg after use. No sign of rust or patina other than the cloud of scratches left by the home made Kydex sheath.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will give it a try!
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

mtb wrote:
For a bit of patina or surface rust, a rust eraser works well. You can get one from most online knife stores that have maintenance supplies. If you happen to see this in the next couple days, knifecenter is doing free ship weekend, which is great for these (typically $5-7). Otherwise, maybe wait until you are picking up a few things together and add one to cart.
mtb

Post by mtb »

bobartig wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:10 pm
For a bit of patina or surface rust, a rust eraser works well. You can get one from most online knife stores that have maintenance supplies. If you happen to see this in the next couple days, knifecenter is doing free ship weekend, which is great for these (typically $5-7). Otherwise, maybe wait until you are picking up a few things together and add one to cart.
Thanks! Do they work like sandpaper in a way?
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

mtb wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:15 pm
Thanks! Do they work like sandpaper in a way?
Basically. It's like an eraser you would have used in grade school, but it contains some abrasives like silicate or aluminum oxide. Eyeballing it I'd guess about 400-600 grit. The rubber helps remove surface rust/patina and the abrasive+rubber helps you apply a small amount of polishing right on the rust areas.

It will leave a very light satin/brush effect if you use it a lot. On a mule, if you match the primary grind direction it should be pretty hard to tell. Most ways of removing rust will modify the finish a bit (you are after all removing material). Polishing compound can leave a cloudy/shiny effect on certain finishes, but the presumption is that small change is preferable to the rust you are trying to get rid of.
mtb

Post by mtb »

bobartig wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:16 am
Basically. It's like an eraser you would have used in grade school, but it contains some abrasives like silicate or aluminum oxide. Eyeballing it I'd guess about 400-600 grit. The rubber helps remove surface rust/patina and the abrasive+rubber helps you apply a small amount of polishing right on the rust areas.

It will leave a very light satin/brush effect if you use it a lot. On a mule, if you match the primary grind direction it should be pretty hard to tell. Most ways of removing rust will modify the finish a bit (you are after all removing material). Polishing compound can leave a cloudy/shiny effect on certain finishes, but the presumption is that small change is preferable to the rust you are trying to get rid of.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. Will give it a try. Thanks!
GT99

Post by GT99 »

FullScaler wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:24 pm
Mules are definitely good to go up here in Canada. The CBSA uses our very vague guidelines around folding knives to justify their confiscations. Any standard fixed blade is GTG.

I have got the last 6 or 7 mules up here no problem and I don't know anyone up here who has had a Mule nabbed by CBSA.
GT99 wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:11 am
Awesome, I am in Canada and well, we have silly laws so ordering anything from the US might get seized at the border, same as if I had to send a knife in for warranty work even though its perfectly legal to buy the knife here, CBSA are just thieves it seems. I assume that makes it so I would never be able to buy a mule, its hit and miss if you will get your knife from outside the country and losing a knife worth hundreds is not a chance I want to take lol.
That's amazing, you just made my day.