MT33 CPM REX 76 -First Impressions, Performance, and Testing Thread

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: MT33 CPM REX 76 -First Impressions, Performance, and Testing Thread

Post by Fireman »

Still doing my torture tests on the 76. So far so good but need more data to report. I will compare to my rex 45 for some side by side tests and maybe some Z-Max data too since it has similar qualities
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
mtb

Post by mtb »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:12 pm
I'm happy you guys don't have to wait long to receive Mules ! Every time there's a drop I have the chance to read your early reports coming in days after days.
This makes me less impatient during the travel time of my order :open-grin
Likewise here :squinting-tongue
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

Spent about 2x 10 minutes cutting and shredding some Abutilon yard waste just to put some wear on the edge. Really, I'm just trying to establish a baseline of expectations because this is my first Mule. It's fairly soft wood, but still exhausting! So far, the edge is still very sharp, just sails through paper after cleaning it off.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:32 am
Screenshot_20220928-104655_Gallery.jpg

So far I've been impressed with my mule. I'm running the mule in my version of edge retention testing platform. I only tested the factory edge and it did very well. I'm hoping over the next 8 or 10 testing edges I see the results double. The factory edge mirrored the results I have for Magnacut so I'm optimistic right now. I used a 1k vitrified cbn stone and the edge is very grippy. Overall I'm enjoying rex76.
Ran my edge retention test today on the mule. The performance jumped 112.5%. Now when I do my normal testing I place restrictions on how far each knife travels on a stone. I'm currently testing 24 other knives, mostly other spydercos so I can hopefully articulate where rex76 performs in comparison to other offerings from spyderco. And under the same testing guidelines.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:04 am
Steeltoez83 wrote:

So far I've been impressed with my mule. I'm running the mule in my version of edge retention testing platform. I only tested the factory edge and it did very well. I'm hoping over the next 8 or 10 testing edges I see the results double. The factory edge mirrored the results I have for Magnacut so I'm optimistic right now. I used a 1k vitrified cbn stone and the edge is very grippy. Overall I'm enjoying rex76.
Ran my edge retention test today on the mule. The performance jumped 112.5%. Now when I do my normal testing I place restrictions on how far each knife travels on a stone. I'm currently testing 24 other knives, mostly other spydercos so I can hopefully articulate where rex76 performs in comparison to other offerings from spyderco. And under the same testing guidelines.
These rex76 mules are ran pretty hard. I've roughly fixed mine to remove the chips I put in it, and find that even on my diamond and cbn stones that it will just skate across and it's not digging in like softer metals. Are you seeing similar results?

Brown rods don't stand a chance....
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:50 pm
These rex76 mules are ran pretty hard. I've roughly fixed mine to remove the chips I put in it, and find that even on my diamond and cbn stones that it will just skate across and it's not digging in like softer metals. Are you seeing similar results?

Well if it is similar to Maxamet or highly ran ZDP, the feedback of the stones is different. The magnifying glass x10 or x30 is my best friend to see what I'm actually doing when trying to tame such steel !

I'm still curious, what kind of diamond and cbn stones do you use ?
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

I did some sharpness testing of the MT33 on my PT50B BESS edge tester, using a RWL34 mule as a comparison since it was also made in Taichung and sports the factory edge. I performed two cuts each at 3 points on both blades (heel, belly, tip) and below are the results:

RWL34:
Heel - 210, 175
Belly - 210, 190
Tip - 180, 190

REX 76:
Heel - 170, 150
Belly - 135, 145
Tip - 115, 125

I found it interesting that the REX 76 blade got proportionately sharper (20 grams on the dot) as it got closer to the tip.

I didn't get the bright idea to take a picture until after the 115 measurement. :grin-squint

The factory edge on the REX 76 mule has some nice aggression. It's able to grab and slice into a paper towel, whereas the RWL34 mule would grab and tear it. The REX 76 blade also wants to bite readily into copy paper. Push cutting is smooth, and slicing is even better. The increase in sharpness towards the tip was evident during the copy paper cutting.

Overall, my initial impressions are positive. I'm still trying to think of some ways I can test the unique attributes of this steel. Maybe edge degradation through a media that is atypical for the average knife user (plastics come to mind). :thinking
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:44 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:

Well if it is similar to Maxamet or highly ran ZDP, the feedback of the stones is different. The magnifying glass x10 or x30 is my best friend to see what I'm actually doing when trying to tame such steel !

I'm still curious, what kind of diamond and cbn stones do you use ?
Mainly the cbn doublestuff but also ran it over both cbn and diamond triangles holding the in hand. "Feels and sounds" different than the z-max and s110v. Ill dive in with the hapstone tomorrow and compare a little more.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Steeltoez83 wrote:

I found cutting to slow down, but the stone was not the cleanest either. I should have dressed the stone but I didn't. So i have accountability to take into consideration. This stone I used loads easily, so it worked for this bcuz it's cbn. However I should have used something more coarse than 1k for the initial reprofile. In my own variation of low volume edge retention testing I'm seeing a 50% increase over s90v/s110v in the same test. And the 1k edge was a 112.5% increase over the factory edge. I haven't had to take out any chips or damage. I plan on doing more test runs to burrow through any burnt or fatigued before I make a decision on what role I want this knife to fill.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:08 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Steeltoez83 wrote:

I found cutting to slow down, but the stone was not the cleanest either. I should have dressed the stone but I didn't. So i have accountability to take into consideration. This stone I used loads easily, so it worked for this bcuz it's cbn. However I should have used something more coarse than 1k for the initial reprofile. In my own variation of low volume edge retention testing I'm seeing a 50% increase over s90v/s110v in the same test. And the 1k edge was a 112.5% increase over the factory edge. I haven't had to take out any chips or damage. I plan on doing more test runs to burrow through any burnt or fatigued before I make a decision on what role I want this knife to fill.
Thank you for that, we're quite blessed getting so many variants of steels to play with.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 pm

Mainly the cbn doublestuff but also ran it over both cbn and diamond triangles holding the in hand. "Feels and sounds" different than the z-max and s110v. Ill dive in with the hapstone tomorrow and compare a little more.
Thanks ! I'll certainly directly put my edge on one of the Mules when I receive them. I'll keep you all up to date as far as the sharpening experience goes. I mainly use Venev stones but I have other stuff so it'll be interesting to compare with S110V, Maxamet and Rex45 :)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20221001-202254_Gallery.jpg
Testing the rex76 with an 800 grit king neo edge. I think I'm gravitating towards a 400 grit edge for this steel. But I can compare it to the spyderco 800 cbn plate. The more I sharpen this guy the more I want to send out to be tested for hardness.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:50 pm

Testing the rex76 with an 800 grit king neo edge. I think I'm gravitating towards a 400 grit edge for this steel. But I can compare it to the spyderco 800 cbn plate. The more I sharpen this guy the more I want to send out to be tested for hardness.
I tested this edge in my edge deformation/retention testing and I achieved 25 rounds of survival. That's a 212.5% increase over the factory edge results on the same test.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:31 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:

I tested this edge in my edge deformation/retention testing and I achieved 25 rounds of survival. That's a 212.5% increase over the factory edge results on the same test.
Perhaps this supports the “Burnt steel” theory. Go through a few sharpenings before the real tough testing or real world use.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:28 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:31 pm
Steeltoez83 wrote:

Perhaps this supports the “Burnt steel” theory. Go through a few sharpenings before the real tough testing or real world use.
It's extremely rare I actually use the factory edge. I mean they have to crank out thousands of blades every week so I'm sure worn belts are stressing the edge to some degree on most samples. I always apply new edges before my knives go completely dull for atleast the first few edges. The burnt/stressed steel is prone to damage when lateral force is applied when tough type of cutting is engaged. So I generally just dull my edges on cardboard or light plastics to burrow thru the first few edges. Then I will be in a position to evaluate the steel not the stressed steel. And I can start altering the edge angle and edge finish for what I plan to use it for. That's how I evaluate knife steel. I use chapstick on my knives as a daily rust protection prevention so I generally don't have any commentary on rust or corrosion issues either. To me it's a journey to get my blades to perform how I want them to. I'm not the hardest of users but if I can avoid sharpening out chips, rolls, or other forms of damage I'm gonna atleast try to set myself up for success.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Finally finished working out the chips and left the edge at 17° straight off the diamond triangle rods then a few passes with 16,000 grit diamond paste on hard leather. Shaves nicely and sails through copy paper but have yet to try the brass rods again...trying to work up the courage.

I hand made some triangle rod holders for the Hapstone so they can be configured for flats or corners for SE. Janky but it works :smlling-eyes
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:24 pm
Finally finished working out the chips and left the edge at 17° straight off the diamond triangle rods then a few passes with 16,000 grit diamond paste on hard leather. Shaves nicely and sails through copy paper but have yet to try the brass rods again...trying to work up the courage.

I hand made some triangle rod holders for the Hapstone so they can be configured for flats or corners for SE. Janky but it works :smlling-eyes
Brave is risking what you have for sake of others. This would make you brave.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:47 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:24 pm

Brave is risking what you have for sake of others. This would make you brave.
When you're right you're right. :squinting-tongue
Before:

After: 10 slices but less torque than 1st attempt.

Held out better but probably due to geometry since factory edge was about 14 degrees or lower on one side. Maybe I can rob some time on the scope at work and get some better pictures.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
mtb

Post by mtb »

Just received my 1st MULE - REX76.. super excited!

Applied some EDCI and scaled it up, and cut it for the first time... just paper though :squinting-tongue

Interesting to see that it seems to "grab" more than my SpydieChef

Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

I decided to purchase a REX 45 Native 5 to run as a head-to-head against this mule. I don't know why but I feel like I need to defend REX 76's honor against REX 45 since that seems to be the benchmark it is being held to. :')

Should be interesting!
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45