MT33 CPM REX 76 -First Impressions, Performance, and Testing Thread

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
yablanowitz

Re: MT33 CPM REX 76 -First Impressions, Performance, and Testing Thread

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been using mine both at work and carving hardwood, and I must say this stuff really holds an edge. I've sharpened it a couple of times on my DMT diafolds. It does have that "ZDP-189 just skating" feel, but I trust the diamonds to do the job and they do.

I can also report it stabs well and leaves a clean wound which should heal quickly.🙄
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

Since this is a tool steel, does it make sense to force a patina on the tang with like Ferric Chloride or Mustard to protect it from rusting?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Forcing a patina has never made sense to me, but a little rust doesn't bother me, either.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Team Sick wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm
Since this is a tool steel, does it make sense to force a patina on the tang with like Ferric Chloride or Mustard to protect it from rusting?
You could use something like EDCi which is a safe blade protectant or something less expensive like vasoline or mineral oil. All are simple and inexpensive. The only reason to force a patina is if you enjoy the look and there’s nothing wrong with that either.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:23 pm

It's extremely rare I actually use the factory edge. I mean they have to crank out thousands of blades every week so I'm sure worn belts are stressing the edge to some degree on most samples. I always apply new edges before my knives go completely dull for atleast the first few edges. The burnt/stressed steel is prone to damage when lateral force is applied when tough type of cutting is engaged. So I generally just dull my edges on cardboard or light plastics to burrow thru the first few edges. Then I will be in a position to evaluate the steel not the stressed steel. And I can start altering the edge angle and edge finish for what I plan to use it for. That's how I evaluate knife steel. I use chapstick on my knives as a daily rust protection prevention so I generally don't have any commentary on rust or corrosion issues either. To me it's a journey to get my blades to perform how I want them to. I'm not the hardest of users but if I can avoid sharpening out chips, rolls, or other forms of damage I'm gonna atleast try to set myself up for success.
I'd be more than interested in seeing a video or one of your tests ! You seem to have a pretty well set up procedure for these.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

https://youtu.be/DsI_eXck8qY

I hope that explains it.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
mtb

Post by mtb »

Please excuse my entry-level impressions for my 1st Mule Team.

Used my REX76 for fruit-prep for the 3rd day, and it has started to pick up some nice patina...
When it was dealing with apples, it hit the plastic board hard.... and I was worried that it might deform a little based on previous experience with other knives... but so far so good under 3X loupe! It still went through magazine paper nicely. :smlling-eyes

Sliced through the same copy paper again... the "grab" was still there

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Had a couple hours whittling through dry hard wood and stripping bark and it has not given up the bite and the grip on your fingers when you touch the edge. I am guessing a couple more hours of use and it may change, but it is putting up a **** good fight. It is impressing me.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

IMG_20221007_010201_815.jpg
I got around to doing another cut test. This steel keeps impressing me. I'm gonna try to record a video discussing my findings this weekend.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Thanks for the video you uploaded btw ! I've been under the weather lately so I forgot to answer...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Once the mule loses its bite, I will strop and see how it does again till needs stropping again. Testing and quantifying of steels of how long between stropping is an important test.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:47 am
Once the mule loses its bite, I will strop and see how it does again till needs stropping again. Testing and quantifying of steels of how long between stropping is an important test.
I agree, make sure to tell us how it goes ! and wich stropping abrasive you are using :open-grin
By reading your previous messages I think you already sharpened the Mule at least once, but we can agree that you are testing your own edge ?

Wich angle did you chose? I know from experience that all of my Mules always came with a 2 to 3 degrees of difference between both sides.

I still need to complete the handle project for the 3 mules, and the testing will of course only be done on the one I'll keep.

Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:10 am
Thanks for the video you uploaded btw ! I've been under the weather lately so I forgot to answer...
Thankyou for watching. Hope u feel better.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Ramonade wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:14 am
Fireman wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:47 am
I agree, make sure to tell us how it goes ! and wich stropping abrasive you are using :open-grin
By reading your previous messages I think you already sharpened the Mule at least once, but we can agree that you are testing your own edge ?

Wich angle did you chose? I know from experience that all of my Mules always came with a 2 to 3 degrees of difference between both sides.

I still need to complete the handle project for the 3 mules, and the testing will of course only be done on the one I'll keep.
Still factory edge with one strop thus far. I am using green compound which I believe is .5 micron abrasive. After the bight is gone, I will strop up and see the amount of use I get between strop.
mtb

Post by mtb »

Please excuse my beginner question.... Are carbides darker in colour, esp when they gather around the apex?

Today marks the 5th day of REX76 fruit-prep experience. The Mule still cuts well.
However, I do notice a very thin dark line along the apex (factory edge) in parts of the blade that "attacks" the fruits, while the heel of the Mule exhibits more silver-ish outlook. At the same time, those "attacking" portion seems to be more irregular/toothy under 3X magnification. (Still waiting for the digital microscope to arrive to confirm this observation though)

If I am overthinking things, let me know too. :squinting-tongue

The "attacking" portion of the REX76

The heel of the REX76
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Team Sick wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm
Cranberry juice does the trick for me….little bit but not too much like mustard or vinegar.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

IMG_20221008_092758_489.jpg
Took a magnification shot of the edge on my mule this morning.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

mtb wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:59 am
Please excuse my beginner question.... Are carbides darker in colour, esp when they gather around the apex?

Today marks the 5th day of REX76 fruit-prep experience. The Mule still cuts well.
However, I do notice a very thin dark line along the apex (factory edge) in parts of the blade that "attacks" the fruits, while the heel of the Mule exhibits more silver-ish outlook. At the same time, those "attacking" portion seems to be more irregular/toothy under 3X magnification. (Still waiting for the digital microscope to arrive to confirm this observation though)

If I am overthinking things, let me know too. :squinting-tongue

The "attacking" portion of the REX76

The heel of the REX76
I think what you are seeing is black oxide formed by the acids in the fruit. Carbides don't actually move around to gather at the edge.
mtb

Post by mtb »

Steeltoez83 wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:05 pm
IMG_20221008_092758_489.jpg

Took a magnification shot of the edge on my mule this morning.
Definitely a better photo! Thanks for sharing. :smlling-eyes
yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:18 pm
I think what you are seeing is black oxide formed by the acids in the fruit. Carbides don't actually move around to gather at the edge.
Thanks for the input!
That was my first guess too... and since the entire knife was soaked in fruit juices during the process, the patina/darkening process should be more even I guess.
I am just wondering if other metal particles are worn away/removed with repeated cutting, exposing the harder carbides towards the apex?
I will need to cut more with other knives too and see if the same is observed. :smlling-eyes
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

Screenshot_20221009-080812_YouTube.jpg
I attempted to try the S cut paper towel triple b challenge. I dont find mirror edges all that appealing. And I used my mule not his 15V. The edge is only 1,000 grit without strops and it failed to make the S cuts. I then attempted to make draw cuts with the knife without any downward force. I thought I had the whole thing in view of the camera but I didn't. This is a Screenshot in case anyone wanted to watch.