Would you want a Damascus Mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Yes!
62%
Oh yeah!
38%

Total votes: 39

legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

MT07 was the only Damascus blade and I've drooled for years now looking back at pictures. If you could get your way, what pattern would you want?

May be a few years down the line but I'm willing to wait if we could get another Damascus Mule! Who's with me?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
HJA

Re: Would you want a Damascus Mule?

Post by HJA »

Maybe if it's real wootz or something exotic like a damascus with copper layer... but nah. Pattern weld stuff is often quite lame.
Brant

Post by Brant »

Carbon steel folded with copper always looked good to me.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Honestly, there have been plenty of production damascus models so I feel like I can already scratch my itch. It would have to be some wild high performance damascus to catch my eye.

That said I paid way too much on the second hand market for my MT07, because I too was drooling looking at pictures. :grin-sweat
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Rymanz wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:07 pm
Honestly, there have been plenty of production damascus models so I feel like I can already scratch my itch. It would have to be some wild high performance damascus to catch my eye.

That said I paid way too much on the second hand market for my MT07, because I too was drooling looking at pictures. :grin-sweat
Perhaps you could share a picture of said purdy mule? Seeing your sig the other day inspired this poll :cheap-sunglasses
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

The MT07P was Damascus on the outside, but the core (and performance) was VG-10. Frankly, that is the only practical way to do Damascus for a project like this. True Damascus would vary too much for comparison testing since the steel at the edge is not likely to be homogenous. If you're just wanting eye candy, maybe you can talk Sal into doing a Damascus Straight Spine.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:24 pm
Rymanz wrote:

Perhaps you could share a picture of said purdy mule? Seeing your sig the other day inspired this poll :cheap-sunglasses
But of course my good sir. :face monocle

Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Rymanz wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:30 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:24 pm
Rymanz wrote:

But of course my good sir. :face monocle
Absolutely beautiful, thank you sir!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I would LOVE a Damascus Mule. I've bought every Mule since I became aware of them, but unfortunately that was after Damascus, so I'm late to the game.

If I didn't know how cost prohibitive it would be, I'd love a Damasteel mule in the Vanax damasteel mix.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Have enough Damascus and clad in custom fixed blades bought over time.
So not really fussed in a Mule and would probably be a expensive price point compared to what we get now.
Probably less chance people would use it also.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:32 pm
Absolutely beautiful, thank you sir!
Yea man!
standy99 wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:38 am
Have enough Damascus and clad in custom fixed blades bought over time.
So not really fussed in a Mule and would probably be a expensive price point compared to what we get now.
Probably less chance people would use it also.
The bolded sentence above is very likely. The mule teams are effectively an open source test-bed for Spyderco. Unless there was some new damascus type they think would be viable and provide a performance boost, I wouldn't think it would make business sense to produce another mule like MT07.

We can dream though, right? :beaming-face
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

A damascus Mule already exists. And it is more about the patern then the performance.

I think that a damasteel will best suit the idea behind the Mule Team knives, and here is why:

To this point and to my knowledge there is no a Mule knife madde from Damasteel.
With damasteel you will get a nice patern as well as the performance of a modern PM steel.

I think this is a solid pick for a future Mule Team knife.
More about Damasteel here -> https://knifeinformer.com/an-introduction-to-damasteel/
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Would be interested in damacore ( the DC18N variant, best damas steel in my eyes).

Regular Damas don't really interests me just because of how it performs. Its beautiful alright, but not my thing ^^.

That said, I might be booked in the next months to put a custom handle on a MT07 so I'll make sure to share ! I already have selected some elder burl for that project 😁
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sentinel:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Another pic of the Mule Team 7, love the knarly looking tang.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Option 3: No

What material performance would you be testing with a Damascus mule?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I would be in the eye candy realm, I wouldn't consider MT07 a user and the VG-10 core was already a known steel. For me it would fall into the kit knife territory.
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It may have already been known, but it is handy to have a known steel to compare to. It makes a good reference.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:30 am
Another pic of the Mule Team 7, love the knarly looking tang.

Thank you for this!
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Love that MT7... off to try and find one now. That's beautiful and I'm a sucker for Damascus.