Would you want a Damascus Mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Would you want a Damascus Mule?

Yes!
62%
Oh yeah!
38%

Total votes: 39

yablanowitz

Re: Would you want a Damascus Mule?

Post by yablanowitz »

Good luck. 600 pieces released 12 years ago and sold only through the SFO. That should be an adventure.

Edit to add: But then, I just scored a full serrated Titanium Police model on eBay, one of 500 made 30 years ago, so anything is possible.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

I would love an edc fixed blade mule in Damasteel. The conversations that it would start when others saw it would be worth it. New to fixed blades and I want a beautiful edc to make my brother jealous.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN & CRUWEAR, Native - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10
Temporarily put my mule away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd be interested in a new damascus if it had unusual properties, particularly mechanically, but a materials and appearance that haven't been done before might be interesting. I'd buy an old one if the price was right, but I've given up on scoring most of the older ones (pretty stoked about the ZDP-189, and maybe I'll find my 9Cr18MoV ones I had soon)
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a San mai stainless Damascus with a Vanadis 8 or 10V core. Not sure what stainless steels could be used became I don’t know the heat treat protocols for each.
Last edited by VandymanG on Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

Temporarily put my mule away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Ok, sign me up for a Damasteel Mule 🤤
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:43 am
I was just thinking how cool it would be to have a San mai stainless Damascus with a Vanadis 8 or 10V core. Not sure what stainless steels could be used became I don’t know the heat treat protocols for each. I just know they have to be similar.
Hoochie momma! I would be so up for that ☝🏻
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Since Mules are made for testing steels, I'd be interested in a variation of Damasteel !
Damascus is already known and used by Spyderco, and there was the MT07.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
msum

Post by msum »

Damasteel might be fun.

I imagine that a Mule would at least be a (relatively) cheap way to get into Damasteel.

Sure, it isn't a "super steel", but it's pretty "balanced".

Probably not a great business case for this, though...?
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

It would be my top pick if I had a choice!
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Would love any of the different combos that Larrin Thomas recently tested. I’m kind of interested in the 1095/nickel combo. Very interested in the 1084/15N20 combo, AEB-L/716 or AEB-L/CPM 154. Super interested in — Or how about a Vanadis 8, 10V or K390 core wrapped in a laminated or San Mai AEB-L/716 Damascus combo. The wrap or laminate could come almost all the way down so that it would eventually interact or be part of the blade edge (?Would that work?)

Would definitely prefer a snake skin pattern.

Just some additional thoughts on the subject. The more experimental the better. But really would be happy with any form of Damascus, Damasteel or Damacore (?) mule.

AND YES! I’d definitely use it. It would be great as an EDC or camping/hunting knife with the right steels involved.
Greg

jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

**** yes I want one. They're just too **** expensive.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

jmj3esq wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:24 am
**** yes I want one. They're just too **** expensive.
Yeah I agree but I can always dream. Right? Plus if I’m going to ever get a quality Damascus knife of any kind it’s probably going to be through the Spyderco mule program. Even then I expected it to be pricey.
Greg

Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

VandymanG wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 2:09 pm
Would love any of the different combos that Larrin Thomas recently tested. I’m kind of interested in the 1095/nickel combo. Very interested in the 1084/15N20 combo, AEB-L/716 or AEB-L/CPM 154. Super interested in — Or how about a Vanadis 8, 10V or K390 core wrapped in a laminated or San Mai AEB-L/716 Damascus combo. The wrap or laminate could come almost all the way down so that it would eventually interact or be part of the blade edge (?Would that work?)

Would definitely prefer a snake skin pattern.

Just some additional thoughts on the subject. The more experimental the better. But really would be happy with any form of Damascus, Damasteel or Damacore (?) mule.

AND YES! I’d definitely use it. It would be great as an EDC or camping/hunting knife with the right steels involved.

The only kind of damascus I'd be interested in is similar to what you propose : a new kind !
I've seen Damascus made with a PM steel and another (see Dr Larrin Thomas research on the subject). But I'd LOVE to try something like the VG-10 core and damascus cladding Spyderco uses, only with a very much carbide intensive steel inside. I just wonder how they could handle the heat treating part...
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
David R

Post by David R »

Meh... I don't quite get the appeal of Damascas patterns for a Mule. I get that they look nice. For me the Mules are more about performance differences rather than aesthetics. There are plenty of Damascus patterned knives available.

I would buy a new Damascus patterned Mule because I buy all of them, but there are other steels I'd prefer to try out.
vanka

Post by vanka »

The only damascus steel that will fit in the spirit of the mule program is Damacore DC18N. Consists of a damascus made of RWL34 and PMC27 (Those two are used for the beautiful Björkmans twist DS93X used on the Spyderco Urban) They wrap around a core made from N11X steel (exactly the same composition as Vanax Super Clean). I believe that Damacore DC18N would gives us a chance to get a beautiful pattern damascus with really high quality nitrogen steel. And let's be honest - we all want to get some Vanax super clean in our hands. Obviously I realise that if Damacore DC18N mule ever happens it will be in the range of 250-300$ a piece. I promise to buy at least two to support the project. 😁
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

I know Spyderco has done collaborations with individual custom knife makers. But have they done a collaboration with another knife company? I only ask because QSP makes a beautiful brass/copper Damascus fixed blade for a very good price. I have a QSP Penguin G10 scales in S35VN for $65 dollars. It’s better made than some of my knives that are twice the price. I’m betting a Spyderco/QSP collaboration would make a beautiful knife or a beautiful mule to test. Being a China based company lets them keep the cost down and they have excellent quality control. Just a thought on how to bring a unique Damascus knife to the market without breaking the bank.
Greg

Giygas

Post by Giygas »

VandymanG wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:21 am
I know Spyderco has done collaborations with individual custom knife makers. But have they done a collaboration with another knife company? I only ask because QSP makes a beautiful brass/copper Damascus fixed blade for a very good price. I have a QSP Penguin G10 scales in S35VN for $65 dollars. It’s better made than some of my knives that are twice the price. I’m betting a Spyderco/QSP collaboration would make a beautiful knife or a beautiful mule to test. Being a China based company lets them keep the cost down and they have excellent quality control. Just a thought on how to bring a unique Damascus knife to the market without breaking the bank.
They've done collabs with Lionsteel, Kershaw and Fox (at least), but I imagine if that was something they were interested in doing, they'd use the copper damascus made by someone like Baker Forge before going that route.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
WirelessBrain

Post by WirelessBrain »

I'd like to see a damascus version with ZDP-189 as the core, like g.sakai the Japanese manufacturer, or William Henry.
However, the mule has done damascus already.
David R

Post by David R »

I have one and don't particularly get the appeal of Damascus steel. It has a pattern. And?

I would buy one because I buy all of them. But I Damascus patterns don't have much appeal for me.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

A Damascus steel done right goes from being razor sharp to toothy sharp. As the softer steel dulls quicker you get an SE effect that helps the knife stay sharper longer. Add in Dr. Larrin’s research on different steel types and patterns. Well, the difference between the laminated/VG-10 and a new research based Damascus could be huge.

That and I’m not really a fan of VG-10. If it is going to be a laminated Damascus I’d prefer a super steel at the core not the VG-10 core that came with current Damascus mule. And is it really even a Damascus blade if it’s laminated? I don’t know but I’m guess it doesn’t get the SE effect as it dulls?

I have a fixed blade Damascus and a folding lock-back Damascus and they do well. But I’d love to see what a higher end Damascus steel combo and pattern could achieve.

Edit - sorry if this post came off with an attitude. That was not my intent. I was not involved or aware of the Spyderco mules at the time the VG-10 Damascus was available. I’m very interested and excited about Dr. Larrin’s research with various steels for Damascus blades. With the new research info and the various super steels available I think it would be a great time to revisit the Damascus mule and create an updated one.

Would love to hear feedback from Sal or any of the Spyderco team if a 2nd/updated Damascus mule is even feasible/possible? I am guessing a true Damascus mule would be financially out of the question? Looking online for Damascus billets the quality ones are expensive and they are not even using the steels that were researched. Maybe Dr. Larrin could also weigh in on this subject?
Greg