Rex 76 mule. Who got one?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ramonade

Re: Rex 76 mule. Who got one?

Post by Ramonade »

Got two that were planned, and one after restriction was lifted !
Sadly, even with Kristi great help and advices, they couldn't group it into one shipment, so shipping to France is harshfor two parcels !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

After seeing they were still around I got a second one. Going to send it to a knifemaker friend for some custom handles.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
z1r

Post by z1r »

Danny77 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:37 am
I finally got one!! It's my first mule knife!
Congrats! I'm sure you will love it. On my first ever trip to the SFO I scored a Spy27 MT. Gave one to my BIL who EDC's it. Glad I got a new one to try out.
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

I got two. My first two. I'm extremely pleased.
Finally got off my duff and remembered to check this forum in advance for the release date. It took three tries to get the final confirmation order page to load, and judging by the fact that there are still some available, I'm assuming the traffic was only moderately high. The M398 mule drop should be interesting.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:30 pm
Sadly, even with Kristi great help and advices, they couldn't group it into one shipment, so shipping to France is harshfor two parcels !
Perhaps you could find someone to ship you the package of three to france and redirect the two packages to a US person to save money?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:02 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:30 pm
Perhaps you could find someone to ship you the package of three to france and redirect the two packages to a US person to save money?
That would certainly do it. I think I'm gonna just pay the $25 added shipping this time. But next time I might just ask a forum friend who lives in the States to receive it for me, then ship it to France ! Economically speaking, it'd be better. Especially when it comes to customs fees. For three Mules, I'll pay something like 75€ (so $75 USD nowadays :winking-tongue )
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

clinton1

Post by clinton1 »

I was fortunate to score! Busy at work and forgot about the release. Very surprised (but thankful) to find them still available. Second mule. Thanks all.
Guts

Post by Guts »

I was able to grab two. Saw that they lifted the limit later on, but I was rushing to even get one as I know these can sell out quickly. Wish I could've gotten 3 at the time to gift a couple to some family. I suppose I'll wait for the newer SPY27 version which I think I read will be regular production. Own an older MT22P which I got when it came out that's been great over the years.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Just snagged one
Justin
LimpCroissant

Post by LimpCroissant »

I'm curious what you guys intended use is on this particular mule. I don't know a whole lot about REX 76 as it's a very rare steel to see used in knives. Are you guys planning on using it for a hard use utility knife, an outdoors fixed blade, an EDC, a kitchen steel? I'm just curious if you guys don't mind sharing.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

LimpCroissant wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:19 pm
I'm curious what you guys intended use is on this particular mule. I don't know a whole lot about REX 76 as it's a very rare steel to see used in knives. Are you guys planning on using it for a hard use utility knife, an outdoors fixed blade, an EDC, a kitchen steel? I'm just curious if you guys don't mind sharing.
For me, it will be in the kitchen since it's hss and not very high on the toughness chart.
Justin
LimpCroissant

Post by LimpCroissant »

That sounds good Crazywednesday. I'd like to get one of these myself but I just can't spring it right now with all my knife purchases of late. And I have the SRS13 mule that I kind of bought for the kitchen and haven't really used yet.
Team Sick

Post by Team Sick »

I wasn't going to get one for a couple of reasons: 1) I promised my wife before the release date that I wasn't going to purchase any knives this month, 2) I really haven't had my eye on anything recently, 3) I really don't need any new knives. But, 1) I made the promise before the announced release date, 2) I graduated in 1976, 3) I don't have a Rex45 Mule and this is extremely similar and 4) I said if it was still available after a bike ride I'd get one, so I did. The one thing that is great about getting a mule now is that it is easier to get a variety of scales on the dedicated Halperntitanium site.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

LimpCroissant wrote:
Same as all the others, cordwrap the handle, take it to work and use it for whatever life and my job throw at me. If it dulls too fast to suit me, chips on hardwood, particle board or drywall, or just breaks, well, I have others.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

LimpCroissant wrote:
Because I always have back ups for my knives I’m going to take it camping and do all kinds of bush craft stuff on it and if it chips or breaks no big deal because I have a back up.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

I was really hoping to get one but due to some recent family health issues and unexpected related expenses I just cant swing it right now. That said, if anyone has an extra and wants to trade for a custom leather sheath and a set of 3d printed scales and hardware, you know where to find me, lol. :bug-red-white :winking-tongue
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

FullScaler wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:30 pm
I was really hoping to get one but due to some recent family health issues and unexpected related expenses I just cant swing it right now. That said, if anyone has an extra and wants to trade for a custom leather sheath and a set of 3d printed scales and hardware, you know where to find me, lol. :bug-red-white :winking-tongue
I'll take you up on that offer! I'll PM you when I get my two in the mail. Hope the family health issues are better/resolving.
Last edited by Rymanz on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Double tap
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Got mine at 12:05PM (CT) - luckily I remembered that a drop was happening and popped over to see it was live.

I have similar plans to play with: 1. sharpening methods and 2. asymmetric bevels.

I expect Rex76 to be a decent shop knife: 15.5-17.5° bps, with a semi-toothy edge (20-15 micron), light stropping.

While L. Thomas's test don't show allot of promise for R76 I think it's high hardness may have some applications in the shop.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

LimpCroissant wrote:
Personally the first and most important factor is that I love the shape of the tang of the Mule. It allows for a very ergonomic and sexy handle to be put on it.

As far as the steel is concerned, I'm always curious about steels that aren't widely available through production companies. So Comparing Rex76 with my K390 and MagnaCut Mules is gonna be fun. The use will not be specialized, it's more of a wich blade steel deals the best with wich utilisation kind of thing for me !