Rex 76 mule. Who got one?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Michael Janich

Re: Rex 76 mule. Who got one?

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Fixitnow66:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Still no news on my third Mule. At least I only got debited for the first two, we'll see what happens next.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Kristi has updated the Mule #s and it looks like 1000 Rex 76 Mules were made :bug-red-white

Steel: CPM REX 76 | Released Sep 2022 | Quantity: Approximately 1000
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Well, third Mule was shipped yesterday (28th) :)

Too bad they couldn't group both orders, makes a hefty $70 USD to receive the 3 Mules. With almost the same price for customs, this will makes an added $140 USD to the whole thing (so around $121 USD per Mule, still a good deal for where I'm at).
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

LimpCroissant

Post by LimpCroissant »

99Dirk wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:20 pm
LimpCroissant wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:20 pm
99Dirk wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:04 am
Got mine at 12:05PM (CT) - luckily I remembered that a drop was happening and popped over to see it was live.

I have similar plans to play with: 1. sharpening methods and 2. asymmetric bevels.

I expect Rex76 to be a decent shop knife: 15.5-17.5° bps, with a semi-toothy edge (20-15 micron), light stropping.

While L. Thomas's test don't show allot of promise for R76 I think it's high hardness may have some applications in the shop.
Asymmetrical bevels huh? What is your thinking behind your experiments with that, I'm curious.
Asymmetric bevels aren't uncommon in chefs knives, as the different angles affect cut materials leaving the blade (poorly worded).

My current testing is in purposeful asymmetry and using guided (hapstone) sharpening system. Lots of asymmetric bevels in hand sharpening but to random.

Why. Because I like sharpening (I'm weird) and to see how well the blade leaves the cut media. My other hobbies in wood carving and turning with steel gouges/chisels/knives and carbide cutters got me thinking about this topic. There are different edge profiles that have a true single bevel vs a slight counter bevel.
Sweet man! I'd be interested to hear whatever results and findings you get from this. This is the kind of stuff that moves our hobby along in a forward direction, someone has to test different theories that others are not looking at, otherwise the field would stay stagnant. I also really like sharpening and testing different edge profiles.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Received to first 2 mules. 10/11 days from USA to France, I'm happy, it usually takes around 4 weeks to a month since covid hit. Maybe things are getting back to normal on the USPS side of things ?

SpyderVol

Post by SpyderVol »

Based on what's on eBay....looks like some folks got quite a few.
David R

Post by David R »

Nope. I was only checking every 2-3 weeks. Clearly not often enough. I'll have to set up a reminder to check every week.

I get why Spyderco wants to sell through these quickly. Better for me if they could keep inventory for a month or so. Even better if I could subscribe.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

David R wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:32 pm
Nope. I was only checking every 2-3 weeks. Clearly not often enough. I'll have to set up a reminder to check every week.

I get why Spyderco wants to sell through these quickly. Better for me if they could keep inventory for a month or so. Even better if I could subscribe.
Well, I could make a post-it reminding me to send you an email when the next drop approaches. I won't do that everytime but I can try to do it once 🙂

Otherwise, we always learn about the drop on the forum 10 to 14 days dfore so you could bookmark a page to check.

mtb

Post by mtb »

Finally received my 1st MULE - REX76! :party-face

David R

Post by David R »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:25 am
David R wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:32 pm

Well, I could make a post-it reminding me to send you an email when the next drop approaches. I won't do that everytime but I can try to do it once 🙂

Otherwise, we always learn about the drop on the forum 10 to 14 days dfore so you could bookmark a page to check.
I'll set a reminder to check every week.
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

LimpCroissant wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:38 am
99Dirk wrote:
Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:20 pm
LimpCroissant wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:20 pm
99Dirk wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:04 am

Sweet man! I'd be interested to hear whatever results and findings you get from this. This is the kind of stuff that moves our hobby along in a forward direction, someone has to test different theories that others are not looking at, otherwise the field would stay stagnant. I also really like sharpening and testing different edge profiles.
Should have some time this weekend. Been traveling for work and need some shop time to get it setup. If I can figure out how to paste pictures I'll start a thread following my experiment.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

See a lot of people bought 2...not a single review of anything yet relating to cutting or sharpening. I called it, such a wasted program :-||
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:04 am
See a lot of people bought 2...not a single review of anything yet relating to cutting or sharpening. I called it, such a wasted program :-||
Apparently you missed the other thread where people are doing exactly what you mentioned.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=93380
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Rymanz wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:32 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Apparently you missed the other thread where people are doing exactly what you mentioned.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=93380
Ahhh, yes!! Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Steeltoez83

Post by Steeltoez83 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
I can probably record a video this weekend. I have seen rex76 dominate in my edge retention testing against 24 other knives. I have 7 knives to run testing on, then I'm gonna run the mule 1 more time before I make that video.
"Nothing is built on stone; all is built on sand, but we must build as if the sand were stone."
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Just received the third Mule. But this time i paid almost double the customs fees i paid for the last parcel wich had 2 Mules !!

By checking the parcel i see that a wrong value is written on the parcel... I'm very disappointed

standy99

Post by standy99 »

Ramonade wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:09 am
Just received the third Mule. But this time i paid almost double the customs fees i paid for the last parcel wich had 2 Mules !!

By checking the parcel i see that a wrong value is written on the parcel... I'm very disappointed
Can you put in a claim with the VAT department…there is always a form for everything :winking-tongue

I’m still waiting in Australia….I do live pretty remote in Northern Australia so anything from Sydney takes a week or so…probably on a camel crossing one of the the 10 desert’s…….
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
mtb

Post by mtb »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:06 am
I’m still waiting in Australia….I do live pretty remote in Northern Australia so anything from Sydney takes a week or so…probably on a camel crossing one of the the 10 desert’s…….
Oh wow... I thought mine took a long time... Good luck!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:06 am
Ramonade wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:09 am

Can you put in a claim with the VAT department…there is always a form for everything :winking-tongue

We are on par then, my home is just to the right of the 9th desert ! It should get to you soon :party-face
Yeah, I guess that there are extremely irritating and hard to obtain forms I could fill to maybe one day have an answer on why they charged me 23€ for 150€ of goods last time (2 mules) and 32€ for 120€ of goods this time. It's 120€ instead of 75€ because that's what is written on the parcel, wich is also super weird :

Maybe because of the carrier, my packages from the SFO always came by USPS, but this time it says GlobalPost