MT33P - CPM REX 76 Mule Team Release!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Fireman

Re: MT33P - CPM REX 76 Mule Team Release!

Post by Fireman »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:19 am
Wonder if it was billed as Rex45 if it would have sold out faster :thinking
I think so. The unknown and unfamiliar factors plus the higher manufacturing amounts let more people think about it but there will surely be ragerts later.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
ns66

Post by ns66 »

just checked only 159 left :D

from this page
https://hudsontoolsteel.com/technical-data/steelRX

compares to M4, rex76 loses lots of toughness, but gains significant "hot hardness"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ns66,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ns66

Post by ns66 »

sal wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:52 pm
Hi Ns66,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thanks sal, and thanks for the great spyderco knives and mules, hope there will be more production of those hot OOS knives that are in high demand, there are many versions of spyderco's that I want to buy but nowhere to be found.
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I just ordered one and a few other things, no problem at all. :cheap-sunglasses
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

vanka wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:58 pm
Got one. Looking forward for the next 3. Going on a holiday for 10 days, and once I come back and it's still not sold, I might get another one. Or two. If you don't want to read my rant, you should stop here.
I find it peculiar with all the topics asking for the mule team to be active thing again, and yet everyone is very picky about the steels. I know we live in difficult times. But now imagine with all those social media peeps who only buy it for page views and followers and it's still not sold. And we all know what happens with difficult sales. If the mule team goes on hold again it might never come back. I know I'll get everything that comes from the mule program. Because I want to try out steels that I won't find anywhere else. Unless I fork out few hundred for a custom. A lot of people are like - oh, but this steel is very similar to steel X and it will perform similar. That may be true but then again, unless you try it out in your own hands you'll never know. Everyone have different styles in using a knife and use it for different things. Anyways, rant done.
Congrats to everyone who managed to get one or more, and let's hope the next mule will sell in minutes.
From all the chatter I've seen elsewhere, people are disenchanted with REX 76 due to the Knifesteelnerds article from last year. And like you said, none of these folks have used the steel and are basing their purchasing decision on hypotheticals. Oh, the power of the internet hype machine.

I'm very interested to get to sharpen a steel at this level of hardness without having to pay custom or Maxamet prices. T15 seems like a great option for a more balanced blend of properties (and people seem more hyped for it versus REX 76), but it being balanced takes away some of the charm and interest for me. We truly are spoiled with the variety of steel out there. :grin-smiling-eyes
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:42 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:19 am
Wonder if it was billed as Rex45 if it would have sold out faster :thinking
I think so. The unknown and unfamiliar factors plus the higher manufacturing amounts let more people think about it but there will surely be ragerts later.
Sells out it's still a success imo. I'm eager to get it in hand and introduce it to the rest of the herd. :winking-tongue
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Trev

Post by Trev »

I completely forgot today was the release. Just picked up one at 9pm with no issues. Thanks again for this unique program
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

To me it looks like a slightly tweaked Rex 45, which is one of my favorite all time steels. So, I am totally stoked to get my two of these. I just hope they sell out by the end of the week, as long as they do, it is kind of nice to not have them sell out in a mad scramble in the first 30 minutes.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I personally just want to see what spyderco does with these steels. The potential of every steel is good and all, but the world of knife big production rarely provides "excellent" heat treats. So you can only really wait to try it to see how it goes.

I always have M390 in my mind, wich I only experienced heat treated correctly once.

Since Spyderco is in my experience and opinion the company that provides the best heat treats on a big production scale, I want to test the steels they put out.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I compare Rex 76 to Rex 45. And I have always compared Rex 45 to the ever popular M4. I recall this video --

I have always called Rex 45 "M4 on steoids" and I see no reason not to say the same thing about Rex 76.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

^^that sound! Shawn made me cringe in that vid.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I’m surprised I’m saying this but it looks like Rex 76 is an underrated steel… if it’s properties are similar the Rex 45 it should be very easy to sharpen compared to how good the edge retention is.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

And there never was a Rex 45 mule for whatever reason, so the Rex 76 mule sort of makes up for that.
ns66

Post by ns66 »

Trev wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:59 pm
I completely forgot today was the release. Just picked up one at 9pm with no issues. Thanks again for this unique program
is there a release schedule somewhere? I only saw it accidentally when someone posted a thread on reddit
mtb

Post by mtb »

ns66 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:16 pm
is there a release schedule somewhere? I only saw it accidentally when someone posted a thread on reddit
Announcement will be made here in the sub forum as a sticky right on top. That's how I scheduled my purchase :winking-tongue
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

ns66 wrote:
Trev wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:59 pm
No schedule. You either have to lurk here (which is not a terrible idea). This is what I do (sort of).

Or you might be able to follow the Spyderco social media and/or get their app (am I remembering right that they have one??). I don't do either of these things though myself, just these forums.

We find out typically a week or so before the actual "drop date". I presume that Spyderco just fits in the mule runs into whatever opportunities arise more or less unpredictably in their regular production schedule.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Thinking some more about this... I'd bet that REX 76 will stand apart from REX 45 when you start to get to lower edge angles. That slight nudge in edge retention and the increased hardness could make the edge more stable at extreme angles. Should make for a slicey blade. :thinking

I guess I know what I'm going to do with my mule when it arrives. :grin-smiling-eyes
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
ns66

Post by ns66 »

mtb wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 pm
ns66 wrote:
Announcement will be made here in the sub forum as a sticky right on top. That's how I scheduled my purchase :winking-tongue
I don't see any sticky about release schedule, for example rex76, nothing still I looked again~
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

ns66 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:24 am
mtb wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:56 pm
ns66 wrote:
I don't see any sticky about release schedule, for example rex76, nothing still I looked again~
Hi, ns66:
Welcome to our forum! There isn't a schedule, but we will post an announcement on the forum (it shows up in every section) usually 1-2 weeks before the release date. We'll also post on our other social media channels, and we'll include information in our mobile app (along with a notification). Our app is available for both Apple and Android devices.

Thank you for your interest and we hope you enjoy your time with us!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.