Cpm-T15

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Gham

Re: Cpm-T15

Post by Gham »

I wonder how T15 is going to compare to K390 when it comes to edge holding?
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Gham wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:40 am
You should check out Knife Steel Nerds and the articles linked earlier in this thread.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:38 pm

It's one of the oldest CPM steels if not the oldest so it gets mentioned a lot.

I see in the article you quoted that T15 first appeared in 1946 as Vasco Supreme, "a delicious item to order at Taco Bell" according to Larrin... ;) ...which morphed into a PM steel in 1970. A high-hardness, low-chromium, high-tungsten & vanadium, medium-low toughness steel (but not bad for its hardness range, as it sits between CPM D2 and REX45 for toughness), and sounds like it's a *itch to grind. In the neighborhood of, and between, REX45 and ZDP189 for TCC around 670 in its modern PM version. "Unfortunately CPM T15 has never really caught on as a knife steel, though I don’t see why not. It has an interesting set of properties."

I notice also CPM T15 is "on the wrong side" of the orange toughness-catra curve, having less combined toughness/edge retention than it "should," being bested by neighbors Vanadis 8 and 10V, but outperforming neighbors REX 45 and REX 76. "CPM-T15 is kind of in the middle; I think it could be an interesting choice for some knives but it doesn’t particularly stand out when placed on the toughness-edge retention chart."
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Gham wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:40 am

According to the Big L,
K390 = 720 TCC;
T15 = 670 TCC.
Both in the "very respectable" section for TCC, but not in the elite section (which I consider >750) of the likes of S110V and above.

If you could harden K390 up to T15 levels, then theoretically K390 would have a TCC of 770.

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:28 pm
I notice also CPM T15 is "on the wrong side" of the orange toughness-catra curve, having less combined toughness/edge retention than it "should,"
Lately I've been putting less value into the "orange curve" chart. Toughness is not as important to me as strength/edge stability, aka the combined measure of toughness and hardness. If a similar chart to the orange curve could be made plotting wear resistance x strength, I would find it much more useful. Of course the difficulty of measuring strength makes this a near impossibility, for now.

My experience that drew my attention to this was my testing of m4 vs rex45. Anyone familiar with the orange curve chart will know about rex45s surprisingly poor placement on it. The two steels are very similar in composition aside from rex45 adding a bunch of cobalt for increased hardness, which also reduces toughness. The edge stability in my experience however is supurb, particularly after getting past the factory edge and putting on my own slightly convex freehand edge. Without a complete testing barrage I would have to guess, but it seems rex45 is more stable in my uses than m4. Testing not complete, however.
Gham

Post by Gham »

Thank you both josh crutchley and bolster i appreciate the info!
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

Anyone more experienced than me with mule team release dates care to hazard a guess when the T15 might drop? Because just today I learned that in the near future I will be purchasing a Manix 2 with a 15V blade, and a Thor pattern Damasteel Opera with a solid carbon fiber handle would also be pretty great to have. And if I remember correctly, there's some gift-giving type holiday in December that always gets expensive, so, you know...I want to be able to give my kids an accurate estimate of how long they're going to have to subsist on ramen noodles and zucchini from the neighbor's garden. I understand any guesses about when the next mule will drop would be just that, but educated ones would be appreciated none the less.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I've been following the project since its inception and haven't missed a drop yet. I can tell you with absolute certainty that any guess on a drop date will be wrong. I do expect one in December or thereabouts, but January is equally likely.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:04 am
I've been following the project since its inception and haven't missed a drop yet. I can tell you with absolute certainty that any guess on a drop date will be wrong. I do expect one in December or thereabouts, but January is equally likely.
Yep no rhyme or reason.
I did think there wouldn’t be one whilst the calendar post was running when that started and ran for 2 months…..(so I got that right)

But 3 Mules in a reveal was another curve ball. :spiral-eyes

Also another reveal the other day. Without a fixed blade..

Don’t think anyone could predict what happens until it’s happened
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Hatuletoh

Post by Hatuletoh »

yablanowitz wrote:
Fair enough, thank you. I suppose I had it in my head that the three "coming soon" models on the website would drop before the end of the year, or the T15 and M398 would, at least.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Original plan was three or four releases a year. I don't think they would put them in the Reveal unless they had them on the shelf, but that doesn't necessarily mean the drop will happen that quarter. Having two or three on the shelf at a time is a smart hedge against future problems.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Hatuletoh wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:49 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Fair enough, thank you. I suppose I had it in my head that the three "coming soon" models on the website would drop before the end of the year, or the T15 and M398 would, at least.

Got a feeling we will get another one before the end of the year….

We did get 5 released in 2021 and the Magnacut was a December drop :nerd
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Brant

Post by Brant »

I’m pleasantly surprised with the 76, I purchased it to at least have a mule in case I missed out like I did in February. Originally, I planned to be all in on the T15 getting 2, but looking at the posted steel chart the M398 looks like a winner too. Next, I’m going to have to learn how to make handles or get a 3D printer! Let’s hope we get the next drop soon!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'm curious about the edge it takes and how aggressive the edge is at each level of polish