Sheaths styles and positions

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
legOFwhat?

Sheaths styles and positions

Post by legOFwhat? »

1st off I want to brag on forum member and craftsman Fullscaler for making these 3 beautiful sheaths! Fullscaler did a give away and I was blessed to be one of the winners and it really got me wanting more of this style. So he made that happen ;)

Most of my mules have Kydex sheaths, but mainly use them in the pocket with the G-clip or attached to my backpack. Wearing them on my hip on a belt has been problematic especially sitting. When in the driving position if it's on my hip the knife digs into my ribs or interferes with the seatbelt. The leather MuleTeam sheath (MTLSH) sits way too low and digs into the seats or pushes knife in an uncomfortable position. Here is an example of how the 2 differ: (gifted my last MTLSH or I would have added that for comparison...)

The style that Fullscaler made is in the goldilocks zone for me and works great!

What style works the best for you and why?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Bloke

Re: Sheaths styles and positions

Post by Bloke »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:04 pm
digs into my ribs or interferes with the seatbelt.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

I'll either make or buy a "dangler" belt loop for the stock boltaron sheath to solve this problem. Cold Steel does that with their kydex sheaths. I want to be able to wear the knife on my waist below a hiking pack's padded belt. The g-clip is nice otherwise.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:41 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:04 pm
digs into my ribs or interferes with the seatbelt.
:') I wouldn't mess with that dood! I'd totally wear a sheath like that for my Province tho.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
FullScaler

Post by FullScaler »

Glad you like them Larry, it has been fun getting the leather tools out again!

And carry position is the exact reason I designed them Like this. I didn't like the ride of the boltaron sheath so I just made my own leather version to work for me. I have about a half dozen that sit higher or lower as testers until I worked out the best ride height for me and settled on this current style.

It works good for me when I need to get in and out of the truck and also just low enough to tuck under my backpack waist strap when hiking.

I hope you get many good years of use out of them.
Every day in my pockets, Wallet, Keys, Phone, Light, and Knife.

Https://BladeProtection.com
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

You do really nice work, FullScaler
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I wear the Boltaron sheaths upside-down with the Waterway, Enuff, and Mule. Otherwise they ride too high. My favorite style of carry is horizontal crossdraw. This is possible with the G-Clip, but on my body the knife handle sticks out too much. My all-time favorite sheath for such carry is by Van Sickle Cutlery.