Profile mod scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

Profile mod scales

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I've been tinkering with the idea to make profile mod scales for the Mule Team. No tang modifications needed. This is just a rough alpha to get some input on the design.
Attachments
Untitled (v1~recovered).png
Untitled (v1~recovered)a.png
ykspydiefan

Re: Profile mod scales

Post by ykspydiefan »

That awesome. I sure like the skeletonized look.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

ykspydiefan wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:03 pm
That awesome. I sure like the skeletonized look.
Thanks, it's far from a finished scale. I plan to contour it in some way.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Love that look! Skeletonized G10 would make this a great lightweight fixed blade.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Yep, I like this idea. I often wish that my Spyderco's had a less-pronounced relief area where the index finger rests behind the blade. More meat there would be great.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 11:45 am
I've been tinkering with the idea to make profile mod scales for the Mule Team. No tang modifications needed. This is just a rough alpha to get some input on the design.
It looks cool, for sure. Many of the "bolt on" scales that I've seen pictures of, all seem to be undersize. It would be great if you could make them to fit the blade properly. Although it wouldn't be as obvious, the holes should all match up perfectly, as well. That's just my take on it.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

RustyIron wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 pm
It would be great if you could make them to fit the blade properly. Although it wouldn't be as obvious, the holes should all match up perfectly, as well. That's just my take on it.
Not sure what you mean? Are you talking about my scales? The holes are lined up perfect in the render.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I like the Manix-like shape of your model, and I think it would go a good way toward dealing with the large-radius issue around the index finger area. The way the mule handle is designed pushes my index finger back (more pronounced on thin scales), which is why I sometimes re-radius the area behind the guard so it's a smaller, more comfortable radius. I think your Manixification will solve the same issue: it'll make a happier home for the index finger.

Did you exaggerate the pinky hook?

Wow, Josh, tip of my hat, "you're always thinking." (Famous quote by Marvin Dorfler in Midnight Run)
Last edited by Bolster on Sat May 21, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:38 am
RustyIron wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:39 pm
It would be great if you could make them to fit the blade properly. Although it wouldn't be as obvious, the holes should all match up perfectly, as well. That's just my take on it.
Not sure what you mean? Are you talking about my scales? The holes are lined up perfect in the render.

He must be viewing the 3D image as if it were a 2D image?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

This one is closer to the Manix XL, not sure how I like it.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Here it is if anyone wants to try it out. No mounting hardware needed but it probably wont stay together without glue. I'm working on a ball and socket type retention method for the final version.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5393227
Attachments
mulemodv1.d.png
mulemodv1.e.png
mulemodv1.f.png
mulemodv1.3.png
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Very nice work. Is still have not setup my printer, too many house projects in the queue before I get to do fun stuff.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Fantastic work! If I can catch one of our printers free, I may try that out!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:27 pm
Fantastic work! If I can catch one of our printers free, I may try that out!
Let me know how it goes. I can't test most of the stuff I model but this is based on the same drawing/.dxf I used for my other Mule scales. The other scales fit pretty good so I just went with that.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

I really dig the skeleton scales 👍

Perhaps you could create two sockets for the purpose of inserting screws, one in the front and one in the back.
Sure, it'd remove some of the design's attractivity, but it'd make switching scales much more convenient.
Attachments
Untitled (v1_recovered)a.png
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Araignee wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:24 pm
I really dig the skeleton scales 👍

Perhaps you could create two sockets for the purpose of inserting screws, one in the front and one in the back.
Sure, it'd remove some of the design's attractivity, but it'd make switching scales much more convenient.
Thanks, if I find the time I'll make a version for you.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm not one who wants to see the handle "embiggened" (to borrow a phrase from the Simpsons) so if I got my hands on a pair of these "XL Manix" scales I'd be sanding off the tail end. I much prefer the first pattern you listed at the beginning of the thread.

This will be the cue for someone to brag about how big they are, and how they need XL handles and XL condoms, etc, but I wear L to XL gloves and I find there to be a lot of Mule handle already. Y'all have seen me shorten the handles and I like 'em better that way.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:48 pm
I'm not one who wants to see the handle "embiggened" (to borrow a phrase from the Simpsons) so if I got my hands on a pair of these "XL Manix" scales I'd be sanding off the tail end. I much prefer the first pattern you listed at the beginning of the thread.

This will be the cue for someone to brag about how big they are, and how they need XL handles and XL condoms, etc, but I wear L to XL gloves and I find there to be a lot of Mule handle already. Y'all have seen me shorten the handles and I like 'em better that way.
I might have saved the original but it's simple enough I can make them available on Thingiverse. I'll just size it for the Spyderco/Halpern hardware.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks Josh, but don't do it for me. I don't have a printer. I'm old-school!
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:07 pm
Thanks, if I find the time I'll make a version for you.
That'd be very nice, cheers ! :smiling-heart-eyes

Nothing pressing of course, myself I don't devote too much time thinking about knives these days.