When for next mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
BrokenArrow

When for next mule

Post by BrokenArrow »

Any idea when the next mule will be coming out?
Ramonade

Re: When for next mule

Post by Ramonade »

I hope it's June or July ! I just bought my drill press to stop sweating profusely each time I have to drill by hand for the corby bolts on really expensive wood !
I'm ready for any steel (or not steel) Mule
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Ramonade wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 pm
I hope it's June or July ! I just bought my drill press to stop sweating profusely each time I have to drill by hand for the corby bolts on really expensive wood !

Go, Ramonade! Good that you got a drill press. A wonderful machine. Will make a huge difference in your abilities. Remember not to "side load" it by pushing stock against a bit from the side. What brand?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:30 pm
Ramonade wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 4:36 pm

Go, Ramonade! Good that you got a drill press. A wonderful machine. Will make a huge difference in your abilities. Remember not to "side load" it by pushing stock against a bit from the side. What brand?
I haven't got enough wood to do a full handle but I still had one scale-size piece of olive wood laying around. It's just hours of work lifted of my shoulders ! And it's **** precise, I wanted one with laser aiming. But eh, I'm pretty sure that I can do without with just a bit of practice.

The brand is TOPCraft. I'm not very familiar with it, but for 70€ instead of between 200 and 250 it was just too tempting of a deal. Everything is snug, I can precisely zero the plate, there's a good small vise with it. All it is lacking is modular speed and maybe laser if it's really that useful ;)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

I keep checking this forum to see when the next mule release will be! Any guesses on what the blade steel will be?
sal

Post by sal »

We generally don't do much with the "when" question. Too many variables. There will be an announcement when we're ready to drop. This is the place to watch.

Thanx much for your interest in the Mule Team project.

sal
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

sal wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 9:10 am
We generally don't do much with the "when" question.
sal
This might be the best answer to any question, ever. :cheap-sunglasses
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I think Sal said the next few steels might be a bit more common too. I know I would not mind seeing a hind end D2.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.
Osok-308

Post by Osok-308 »

WilliamMunny wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 5:49 pm
I think Sal said the next few steels might be a bit more common too. I know I would not mind seeing a hind end D2.
I would be all for it! Especially since this would be my first mule am I'm new to the world of high end steels.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

My opinion for what it is worth: no laser. What is likely more precise (unless you have a very expensive laser setup with micro adjustments) is a pointed mill edge finder that finds the centers of holes. It will get you to around .001 accuracy which is more than needed for knife work. For example:

https://www.mcmaster.com/edge-finders/

...the "B" item with a point. You can use it to find precise center of existing hole, or use as a locator for a punch mark, or as a general aiming device if you center it first. To center it, just use your finger/thumb nail to feel for an overhanging ledge. My old machinist teacher taught us that a fingernail can detect down to a few thousandths.

The other end of this device can be used to very precisely find edges...but that's for another day.
Ramonade wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 4:38 am

I haven't got enough wood to do a full handle but I still had one scale-size piece of olive wood laying around. It's just hours of work lifted of my shoulders ! And it's **** precise, I wanted one with laser aiming. But eh, I'm pretty sure that I can do without with just a bit of practice.

The brand is TOPCraft. I'm not very familiar with it, but for 70€ instead of between 200 and 250 it was just too tempting of a deal. Everything is snug, I can precisely zero the plate, there's a good small vise with it. All it is lacking is modular speed and maybe laser if it's really that useful ;)
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

May I suggest:

Your next purchase, after the center/edge finder, would be: A cross slide vise...

McM Carr has professional level ones. You can find these inexpensively elsewhere...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cr ... 32997.html

...check eBay, I'm seeing them starting around $20 and some are BIN for $40.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Bolster wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 1:47 pm
May I suggest:

Your next purchase, after the center/edge finder, would be: A cross slide vise...

McM Carr has professional level ones. You can find these inexpensively elsewhere...

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-inch-cr ... 32997.html

...check eBay, I'm seeing them starting around $20 and some are BIN for $40.
Thanks ! I've searched locally for a cross slide vise, and found one for about 61€ inc. shipping. It's almost the price of the drill press, but it would (will!) be more than useful. I've already wished I owned one several times since I bought the drill press. As for the first item, it would indeed be very needed, and better than a laser that would certainly not be exactly well centered from the start, and bleed light on a pretty large area.