SRS13/SUS405 Performance Thread

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Ramonade

Re: SRS13/SUS405 Performance Thread

Post by Ramonade »

I have to say that my experience is similar to Tucson Tom.
I was still mainly using my MagnaCut Mule in daily tasks around the house, but kept the SUS405 in the kitchen in the meantime.

The edge behaves better than any of my kitchen knives (even if I have no high end kitchen knife, only basic stuff, maybe a Victorinox or two). Of course the geometry of the Mule isn't what's best for kitchen use, but the steel really acts like japanese kitchen cutlery carbon steels , it takes a mean edge very fast, doesn't mind going in high polish.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
aprivetera

Post by aprivetera »

Interesting experience this week with the SRS13/SUS405 knife this week. Was cutting through the rind of a pomegranate to twist it open and left the knife on the counter while getting the seeds out. Not a quick process so let's say the knife sat there for 15-20 minutes tops without a wash.

Gave it a quick wash and dry and left it on the counter. Go back later to throw a bit of knife oil on it and see a few faint black marks on the blade. After a bit of research it turns out pomegranate juice is like 4 pH. Whoops!

Thought I'd share to see if anyone had similar experiences with real acidity. It's seems cosmetic to me but just wondering:

a) Have I damaged the finish? Is this because the inside steel on this design is less stainless?

b) Is it necessary to clean the blade further or is it just a contribution towards a patina on the knife?

- Anthony
standy99

Post by standy99 »

aprivetera wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:13 pm
Interesting experience this week with the SRS13/SUS405 knife this week. Was cutting through the rind of a pomegranate to twist it open and left the knife on the counter while getting the seeds out. Not a quick process so let's say the knife sat there for 15-20 minutes tops without a wash.

Gave it a quick wash and dry and left it on the counter. Go back later to throw a bit of knife oil on it and see a few faint black marks on the blade. After a bit of research it turns out pomegranate juice is like 4 pH. Whoops!

Thought I'd share to see if anyone had similar experiences with real acidity. It's seems cosmetic to me but just wondering:

a) Have I damaged the finish? Is this because the inside steel on this design is less stainless?

b) Is it necessary to clean the blade further or is it just a contribution towards a patina on the knife?

- Anthony

Just a bit of patina….the core is not stainless.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

bartekkaniewski wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:31 pm
has anyone have similar problem (edge chipping)
Nope. Mine has been used almost exclusively in the kitchen, which involves a lot of cutting on plates.

What were you cutting with yours?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I have gotten to like this mule for daily stuff in my case. That would be mostly light things and with frozen meat being about the toughest stuff I have cut and trimmed. I lightly freeze my roast when making jerky to cut it wasier.

It's very easy to sharpen and I haven't found too much to complain about. It's not in the Rex 76 class obviously but it gets sharp easily and stays that way a bit longer than say VG 10 . It likes to get sharp.

I'd really like one of my Enduras in this steel. I believe it would go over pretty well as long as it wasn't released against something like a PM 2 Rex 76 or something similar that would get the knife knuts blood going. Some releases take the air out of the sails for a while and barring that it would sell well and make a fine user.

Joe
aprivetera

Post by aprivetera »

Finally had the chance to use the SRS13/SUS405 mule as a deer field dressing / game processing knife, my original purchase intention. Hair, skin, muscle and fat offered no challenge and navigated around bone and through tendon easily. Had been used in the kitchen and outdoors before that and full resharpen had not been necessary, just little tune ups with ceramic and strop.

The steel spent three days working through a meat processing, rinse with light soap and water, quick towel and air dry cycle until everything was in the freezer. When replacing the paracord wrap at the end there was definitely little pieces of fat or tendon that had spent time hanging out in there with no discernible effect on the steel. No considerable wear observable on the blade or handle from the entire process.

Thank you Spyderco!

New wrap and patina:
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I've switched from the MagnaCut Mule to this one.

I was mostly rocking 240 grit edges on my MC Mule so the feling was very different from this one which i used polished. What I find really interesting is that, for my case, it keeps a really grabby/biting apex even at high grit (5000 to 8000)

This is a joy to sharpen. Extremely fast compared to MagnaCut and RWL34! I use resin bonded diamond stones and it took less than 10 passes on each side to set a good bevel and form a burr.

Deburring is very good, so far I'm really pleased with the heat treat! Edge retention is good for the use. It's pretty clear that this isn't the most wear resistant steel, but if you're cutting through soft stuff (food for example) it will be a really pleasing steel to work with.

I don't recall putting anything one the blade for protection, for now I only have a faint patina forming on the core. I always put my blade under water and immediately dry it after use so it must be the reason. I haven't cut lemon or stuff like that with it yet :winking-tongue

I am using a 17dps edge. Next thing is going to be dropping the edge to 15 des for some time then 13. This means I am gonna keep using this one for a while but I have a pretty good idea already of the type of Spyderco knife I'd like to see the steel on.

I think an Endura would be really cool. Maybe and Enuff 2 ?

I'll come back to this thread with pictures to update y'all,
Robin.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

rooster81

Post by rooster81 »

bartekkaniewski wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:31 pm
has anyone have similar problem (edge chipping)
No issues here. Mine has been used almost exclusively for kitchen work (see post above). The VG-10 chef knife in my kitchen sustains more chipping, but you'd also need to take into account edge geometry.

The edge may stabilize for you after a few sharpenings.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

This has been my daily "small knife in the kitchen" since the day I got it and I love it. Very happy with the factory edge and given daily use it has held up well. I may have touched it up once using the Goldenstone and it is probably due for that again.
BrokenArrow

Post by BrokenArrow »

I've used mine as my squirrel skinner this year. Probably cleaned up 2 doz squirrels with it. It's the perfect size and I haven't had any issues. Still sharp.

Edit.....after closer evaluation I'm seeing some chipping. Like mentioned the toughest thing cut was the tail bone of the squirrel. Other bones were cut with game shears. Still sharp just has some visible chipping.
Last edited by BrokenArrow on Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99Dirk

Post by 99Dirk »

Not much pressing on this thread. I own some of that, it's been a hectic couple of months since getting mine. Looks like most are using it in the kitchen (makes since given the steels and similarity to Japanese cutlery).

Anyone try processing a deer or game larger than a squirrel (no offense, I love me some squirrel)? Wondering about patina development and edge retention.

D.
aprivetera

Post by aprivetera »

Didn't get another deer, Dirk, but see the comments above. I did cuts through joints and didn't really hammer it so I didn't get any chipping or edge rolling.

But now having M398 to compare I can add that the SRS13/SUS405 seems to have a lower hardness. The san-mai does feel marginally sharper and seems to be easier to sharpen compared to the M398, but this is just is my limited use case in the kitchen and at the campsite. If total stainless is not needed I still prefer this over the M398 and look forward to seeing how the patina develops with more use.
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Update - the core of the knife holds a better edge now after several sharpenings. It wasn’t until I ran the knife on my Diamond plate that I discovered the harder area of the core. It now holds an edge for a little longer and is a little tougher to sharpen. But it is still the easiest knife to sharpen that I have. I now have several mules to compare it with. It holds a good edge but the M398, AEB-L, and 15V all hold a sharper and better edge for a lot longer. I’m confused by the fact that the blade chipped the first few times but always has been easily dulled and easy to sharpen. Chipping suggests hard and fragile while easy dulling and sharpening suggest a soft and tougher steel(???).

I am not a fan of the cladding metal it scratched way too easily. If this is the cladding that is going to be used??? It is going to need a seriously tough coating to prevent or disguise the scratching.

Overall it performs well in the kitchen but I’d be reluctant to use it when I take my dog out to the nearby National forest. So I would now say it’s the best kitchen knife I have even if it’s an ugly duckling 🐥 but not a good EDC or outdoors knife in my opinion. Would be interested in the core steel with a different heat treat and cladding.

This is my first mule that I bought. And my initial impressions are that I love it.

The first two times I used the knife I had some chipping which was easily honed out on a ceramic rod. After that I was having no more chipping. But the knife would get dull after one use. I was a little bit concerned about this until I discovered that my wife and daughter were cutting fruits and vegetables on ceramic plates. Since then I have only had to strop the knife every once in a while. I love sharpening knives and this one responds way too fast to just a stropping. Sigh at least I have other more difficult knives to sharpen. :winking-tongue

I have had no rusting or patina issues at all but we clean our knives right after using them.

I was going to use this Mule as an EDC but I think I would be in trouble if I tried that now. This knife has become the go to knife for everything and anything that needs cutting in the kitchen.

I’m not sure I’ll ever get to try the knife elsewhere since the rest of the family has claimed it for the kitchen. I’m ok with that because I ended up getting the M398 mule and that knife is even better. It’s so sharp that my wife and daughter don’t want to touch it at all.
Last edited by VandymanG on Thu Jun 01, 2023 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greg

* EDC> PM2 - S45VN & CRUWEAR, Native - CRUWEAR, Rockjumper - VG 10
Temporarily put my mule away cause I got tired of my wife saying do you really need 5 knives on you. MULE - AEB-L (keep returning to this mule cause it’s awesome)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

VandymanG wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:03 pm
I love sharpening knives and this one responds way too fast to just a stropping. Sigh at least I have other more difficult knives to sharpen. :winking-tongue
That's so infinitely true :squinting-tongue