Hazy Design Studio scales

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
DansGearAddiction

Hazy Design Studio scales

Post by DansGearAddiction »

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to give a quick review and some pictures of some scales that I picked up on Etsy from Philip over at Hazy Design Studio (@Hazy_Design_Studio on Instagram and HazyDesignStudio on Etsy)

I ended up picking up the "Purple Haze" Fat Carbon scales and mounted them to my MagnaCut Mule:

Fit and finish is 9.5/10 -- Given that I didn't send it in and that they are CNC, there's a few small tolerances gaps, but well within acceptable parameters. Carbon fiber is smooth to the touch, no scratches, nicks, bumps, etc.. Very, very satisfied.

Installation was simple -- just put the mounting hardware in, attach the scales and screw in. Took a minute or two to get the posts even so both screws would be flush against the scale. The same issue applies to these scales as the MTGBK scales, so make sure you sand the burr off the SRS13/SUS405 Mule if you use that. Hardware is included.

The ergonomics are an absolute dream. This thing just melts into my hand. I'm looking forward to cardboard duty this coming weekend with this (will absolutely report back).

I'm not typically a carbon fiber guy, but I thought a carbon fiber composite (Fat Carbon) was super unique; it also plays well with the light (see video: https://youtu.be/ps3byIhD_1Q) -- I think Jimi would be enjoy the "Purple Haze" pattern too :winking-tongue

Price was $100 shipped which I feel was reasonable. Took about two weeks to get them from the date of placing the order. He was previously doing various micarta and premium woods as well, although it seems books are closed right now.

Would highly recommend his scales if you're looking for something a bit more premium or want something a bit thicker in the hands.
Current Collection
Chaparral (All Variants), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
Coastal

Re: Hazy Design Studio scales

Post by Coastal »

Those look really nice! Thanks for posting. I've been wondering about HazyDesign, whether they were trustworthy, etc. Glad to see they're a good option.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Yeah, I've been eyeballing this seller too, thanks for posting a review.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

They look nice…
(I have some Fat Carbon blanks I wil have to try soon)

Only point is with so many holes available, why he puts the screw so far forward and so far back. The Fat Carbon material is as solid as you can get so I couldn’t see it lifting if the pins were back a hole at the blade at least.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Brant

Post by Brant »

I just ordered 2 for myself, one for now and one for my next mule drop! Glad to hear quality is spot on. Your review makes me feel better, about my purchase too!

Thanks!
Brant

Post by Brant »

Finally got the pic sized. The scales look good!
I’m happy.
Attachments
F71F3A52-B1CB-48DB-AA95-456959E30658.jpeg
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I also have a set with the newer hardware. Excellent scales and I recommend them.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

They put some new Mule scales up this morning. I ordered a set of the Grey Ghost Micarta.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

My scales and sheath arrived from Hazy today. It was actually foggy this morning and it's been hazy out for some of the day... go figure! :thinking

Vintage Grey Ghost Micarta contoured scales and Grey Digital Camo custom color Kydex sheath with the base black belt loops. Scales came with a couple T8 fasteners.
Everything is very nicely done. I just threw them on the M398, so I haven't had a chance to carry or use them yet but, no complaints so far.
Took about 11 days from order to delivery. Not sure if he had the sheath premade or if ordering a base sheath would have gotten it here faster but I feel that was a very reasonable time frame for what I received. I was slightly nervous about ordering the custom color sheath. I guess that would be my only complaint. There wasn't a list of color and/or pattern options. I put 3 options in the message box during check out and crossed my fingers that he read it and had them in stock. I guess he did. Digi Cam may be out of style but i still like it.
Next time I might message for a list of Kydex options and I'm kind of curious what they would have looked like with the extra "hand sanded" option. I'm assuming he would have polished them shiney.

I snapped some pics but the sun was fading away faster than I could take them.

•• Beau
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Very nice!
Scriptmonkey

Post by Scriptmonkey »

Looks like you are a man of culture with a scout carry setup. Looks great, thanks for sharing.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Scriptmonkey,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

A few more pics

•• Beau
Mr_Whiskerz

Post by Mr_Whiskerz »

I recently got back into the knife hobby and bought a Mule Team. I put the "Westinghouse Rod Canvas Micarta" scales from HazyDesign on it, and they're fantastic!
mule-1.jpg
mule-2-small.jpg
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

These Hazy Design Studio scales do look good!

How thick are these scales, that Phillip makes? :thinking
bobartig

Post by bobartig »

There's a lot of interesting design concepts here. I find their use of fasteners quite intriguing. The carbon fiber screw configuration is really unexpected, using the furthest apart 3/16" holes. I don't like the flat bolster area, but they otherwise look nice.

The two post design - I'm gonna try that in the near future!
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

I recently purchased my Hazy Design Studio's Mule Team scales and I absolutely love them. I chose "copper dark matter" for my pattern. The scales came kinda rough so I sanded them to a smooth finish and rubbed in some oil and boom these babies pop. They match the leather Spyderco sheath nicely. The scales are a bit thinner than most, which I greatly prefer. I plan on using these for my future Mules and urge you to do the same.

Araignee

Post by Araignee »

jmj3esq wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:36 am
I recently purchased my Hazy Design Studio's Mule Team scales and I absolutely love them. I chose "copper dark matter" for my pattern. The scales came kinda rough so I sanded them to a smooth finish and rubbed in some oil and boom these babies pop.
Beautiful ! Can explain where they were rough ? On the inside, outside, apexes ?
Which sanding paper did you use ?
jmj3esq

Post by jmj3esq »

They weren't really rough per say, just unfinished. I started with 220 grit foam sanding block, then to a 400 grit block, then finished with 800 grit. I suppose I could have went higher like 1500 or 2000 grit, I just didn't have any on hand. Im betting they would really pop and shine if you accomplished that.
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

jmj3esq wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:36 am
They weren't really rough per say, just unfinished. I started with 220 grit foam sanding block, then to a 400 grit block, then finished with 800 grit. I suppose I could have went higher like 1500 or 2000 grit, I just didn't have any on hand. Im betting they would really pop and shine if you accomplished that.
Thanks for the info about the sanding paper, the result you achieved is already neat.