MTLSH warranty?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Josh Crutchley

MTLSH warranty?

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Not really sure if the Sheath has any kind of warranty or not but I thought I would ask.

Tried email and got this canned response.

"Thank you for contacting Spyderco Warranty/Repair. This department will be partially staffed until March 28th , emails and phone calls will go unanswered during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience."

I bought the sheath last year but never used it till now. After taking the mule in and out a few times I noticed broken threads. Come to find out the inside row of stitching missed the little strip around the edge leaving 5-6 stitches exposed inside the sheath. When inserting the mule the tip rubs against the strip and that cut all the exposed stitching.
TazKristi

Re: MTLSH warranty?

Post by TazKristi »

Hi, Josh:
I'm sorry to hear about the issue with your sheath; they are under warranty. The best thing to do would be to send the sheath to W&R for evaluation. Please be sure to include the form found here, https://www.spyderco.com/service-suppor ... ty-repair/.

Thanks!

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:03 pm
Not really sure if the Sheath has any kind of warranty or not but I thought I would ask.

Tried email and got this canned response.

"Thank you for contacting Spyderco Warranty/Repair. This department will be partially staffed until March 28th , emails and phone calls will go unanswered during this time. We apologize for any inconvenience."

I bought the sheath last year but never used it till now. After taking the mule in and out a few times I noticed broken threads. Come to find out the inside row of stitching missed the little strip around the edge leaving 5-6 stitches exposed inside the sheath. When inserting the mule the tip rubs against the strip and that cut all the exposed stitching.
This exact thing happened to one of my leather mule sheaths. The stitching sits proud of the leather, so grippier scales can eventually abraid the stitching. Didn't take too long with mine, I noticed it when I went to draw the knife, and the sheath came with it, enough stitching had torn that the belt loop pulled free, lol.

Anyway, Spyderco replaced my sheath at no cost, and I soaked some super glue into the interior stitching on my sheaths to try to harden it some to the abrasion. Seems to be working.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for sharing that information. I'll give Charlynn in Customer Service a head's up to make sure that purchasing knows to contact the vendor on the issue.

sal
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

sal wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:42 pm
Thanx much for sharing that information. I'll give Charlynn in Customer Service a head's up to make sure that purchasing knows to contact the vendor on the issue.

sal
Thank you, I'll get it in the mail tomorrow. Here's some pics for anyone wondering. It's hard to see down inside but the threads that got cut are visible in the second pic.
Attachments
PXL_20220401_185353409.MP~3.jpg
hereiamu1

Post by hereiamu1 »

I checked my sheath and it also has exposed stitches. With the contoured G10 scales it looks like it would be difficult to have any contact with the blade. Maybe with the flat scales or no scales the threads could get cut.
PXL_20220402_160855171.jpg
Still a very nice sheath.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

hereiamu1 wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:34 pm
I checked my sheath and it also has exposed stitches. With the contoured G10 scales it looks like it would be difficult to have any contact with the blade. Maybe with the flat scales or no scales the threads could get cut.

Still a very nice sheath.
Yeah with contoured scales the sheath is to tight for the blade to reach. The problem is a lot of people including me put the bare blade in not thinking a few missed stickers would get cut. I agree that it's an excellent sheath, hopefully they begin checking for this issue during QC.

I decided the warranty didn't make sense for such a simple issue. This is a leather sheath after all just like what many people make on their own. I have everything I need to fix it so I'm giving it a shot.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Josh,

Also thanx for the input. It's hard to improve anything without the input.

sal