Mule Team University Series Proposal

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
spyderwa

Mule Team University Series Proposal

Post by spyderwa »

Since the Mule Team Series is about exploring the cutting edge of knife steel products, what about a dip into the past? What I am proposing is a series of mule team blades using some of the first metals used by man. We all know what a great steel is supposed to do but what if we had the chance to experiment with something like bronze, copper, or iron in a standardized pattern. I refer to this as a university series as it can be a teaching tool as well as a fun way to see how far we have come. Spyderco has always been about exploring the future as well as acknowledging knife history through their ethnic and heritage models. The price should be reasonable and the education value would be off the scale. What are your thoughts?

spyderwa

Rare and Unusual Spyderco Knives
https://www.angelfire.com/trek/spyderwa/
Attachments
2022-02-15 Spy Mule BR b.jpg
Bolster

Re: Mule Team University Series Proposal

Post by Bolster »

I think it's a fun idea! A bronze mule would be very eye-opening; we'd see what Achilles had to deal with when he fought the Trojans. I think chances of S-co actually doing it are slim to none since they seem to be busy with high volume knives and certainly these would be low volume.

But there's nothing stopping us from making a bronze mule for ourselves, right?
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I just want one made out of flint. Or obsidian.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:32 pm
I think it's a fun idea! A bronze mule would be very eye-opening; we'd see what Achilles had to deal with when he fought the Trojans. I think chances of S-co actually doing it are slim to none since they seem to be busy with high volume knives and certainly these would be low volume.

But there's nothing stopping us from making a bronze mule for ourselves, right?
I made a mule out of an old Zildjian cymbal but that's not the best alloy. Very impressed they used something similar in the past with great effectiveness.
Attachments
IMG_20210802_164134_4.jpg
IMG_20210802_123443.jpg
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

If you wanted to make one in the original manner you would have to cast it using a sand mold. In a modern production setting you could waterjet cut it, (or maybe plasma cut it but that might be too hot). As far as machining, the only worry might be getting bronze residue on the CNC bits or grinder. I'm not sure if there would be a concern for cross contamination. Bronze is softer than steel so tool wear should be acceptable in comparison to steel. Another factor to consider is finding the appropriate thickness tin-bronze sheet at a reasonable cost. It would be a fun project to make.

As far as obsidian or flint goes, you are looking at a one-off with each sample. It is possible to find a flint knapper to make one for a small fee. Most parts of the country have flint knapper artists or even meet-up groups.

In addition to bronze, if this was popular maybe you could do a copper and iron sample. When I visit museums overseas it is amazing how preserved the bronze artifacts are and how very rough the early iron objects have become. Historically it was stone, copper, bronze, iron, and then steel. There was some overlap as we saw from Otzi the icemans tool kit. Ultimately whether this happens is dependent on forumite enthusiasm and Sal and/or Eric's willingness to greenlight it.

spyderwa
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

Joshcrutchley1,
Was the symbol brass or bronze? How thick was it?
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

spyderwa wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:31 am
Joshcrutchley1,
Was the symbol brass or bronze? How thick was it?
Honestly not sure. I double checked it wasn't Zildijan but a Paiste cymbal. It was older so maybe it used their older alloy of bronze with 15% tin but they also use bell bronze according to Wikipedia. Oh it's very thin without checking maybe .040".
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

Josh, I'm sure they may even have their own proprietary metal recipes. I had always thought of brass for cymbals. Any scraps that you have can be melted down for your cast mule.

spyderwa
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Versiescott and CoraO'Connor:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

spyderwa wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:17 am
Josh, I'm sure they may even have their own proprietary metal recipes. I had always thought of brass for cymbals. Any scraps that you have can be melted down for your cast mule.

spyderwa
It was a Ludwig Standard made by Paiste in Switzerland. It was made in the 60s, during that time they used B20 and NS12 alloys. The one I have is supposed to be NS12, which is 88% copper and 12% tin.
spyderwa

Post by spyderwa »

That sounds like the traditional bronze formula. You probably have enough metal to experiment with. Lately I’ve been seeing a lot of aluminum bronze but aluminum in the past was extremely rare and valuable. I need to try to cast some bronze when it warms up. spyderwa
Jerry_Tuck

Post by Jerry_Tuck »

Interesting! I have read quite little about steel research in universities. Do they study such materials now and what exactly do they study?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Jerry_Tuck:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

This is cool idea, but how would Spyderco not lose money on it? Other than charging a LOT of money for each run, of course.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001